• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Ok, I want to start this thread with a post I made in another thread (with one or two minor alterations).
Please take time out to absorb its message...

It's been about three months since I was last on here (bar my last few posts), but it's not been because I've lost interest in machinima or making movies in general.
I basically got downhearted by the ever declining community and lack of activity and so chose to become a part of the problem and told myself 'I'll go back if it picks up'. I'm really sorry folks, but that's the truth.

I just got fed up of hearing 'people move on', 'machinima's dying', 'I'm too busy these days' and just outright negative thoughts and comments about TMU in general.

PEOPLE MOVE ON - Yes, they do...and that's fine. Ain't nobody here keeping them from doing otherwise. 'thanks for all your contributions to TMU, you'll be missed but bye bye and safe journey'.

I'M TOO BUSY THESE DAYS - Also fine. totally understand, been there myself on numerous occassions and I know how hard it is to juggle real life with computer life. Again, thanks and good luck to you.

MACHINIMA'S DYING - Machinima's dying? Is it really?
This is one comment I cannot accept or believe and here's why.

The majority of us here are movie makers, correct?
We are here because we have stories to tell and, because we either can't afford high end equipment or are unable to find real life actors and like-minded folk to help create our visions, we turn to...machinima!

Be it 'The Movies', Iclone, Moviestorm, muvizu, the sims, second life, game engines...whatever...we have all embraced one or more of these mediums to turn stories in our heads into movies.
I make movies...I LOVE making movies and realistically, machinima and animating through animation software are the only ways I can do what I love...practical, inexpensive and I don't need a degree from a film school to tell me I CAN make movies.
I haven't been to film school, I have a very tight budget and I live in a small, dull industrial town with no movie making credentials whatsoever.

Now, I absolutely refuse to believe that there aren't shedloads of folk outside of TMU that don't share the same passions and are in a similar situation to people like myself regarding budget and limitations...All they need is convincing that machinima IS the right sollution for them and that TMU IS the right community.

Rik Vargard has the right Idea...advertise TMU to holy hell!

http://www.tmoaradio....hlight=vargard

TMU NEEDS 'U'...

Make info-mercials/promos...and lots of them!

Use this as your template...

http://www.tmundergr...TMU-Promo-Movie

cover the very basics of machinima in them, tell everyone what amazing movies can be created using these softwares and then tell them about TMU! SELL THEM TMU! tell them about the musicians, voice actors, artists, technicians, producers, scriptwriters, directors, modders, editors, insiders and just generally amazing community here.

Upload to youtube, vimeo and any other media sharing sites you can think of...spread the word!

There's been way too many people working too damn hard on keeping this amazing forum running...with Ken at the top of that tree...just to see it crumbling away like this.

Since I posted this, Rik has completed and uploaded his promo and I have more or less completed mine, bar a couple of minor adjustments.

But that's just the start...this is just a small part of a much larger plan we're working on between us, with each step being revealed here as we progress.

We're not claiming it's going to work, it may not...but then again, why shouldn't it?

From Rik's promo...

The Movies Underground : The one and only real, authentic machinima community on the web.

Stay tuned for more news.
  • Rik Vargard and kkffoo like this

#2 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

I might be able to make something... :shifty:

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#3 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

I might be able to make something... :shifty:

Cool:-)
If you can, go for it FT...the more people start seeing the TMU logo and what it represents on youtube, vimeo, facebook etc., the more chances we have of breathing new life into this community again:-)

I would recommend watching Rik's promo again and again for inspiration, because there's lots to absorb in those 2 minutes and 18 seconds...and despite it only being released a few days ago, there's already interested parties because of it!

ADVERTISING POWER:-)
  • thebiz likes this

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

But that's just the start...this is just a small part of a much larger plan we're working on between us, with each step being revealed here as we progress.

Stay tuned for more news.

Mysterious. I like it!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Mysterious. I like it!

That's assuming we can get to the next phase...really dependent on the success of the promos and how many promos are made and upped...I'm thinking that about half a dozen (at least) should get the ball rolling.

If FallenThomas makes one, that's three, so half way there.

They could have a triple positive effect in that they draw in the punters and also highlight the commitment and talents of the community that made them too...that would be us:-)

That's the general idea anyways:-)

For anyone making and upping their promos to youtube, vimeo etc, tags you might want to include: machinima, movie making, musician, directing, editing, 3d software, animation, iclone, moviestorm, TMU, TMunderground, poster art, special effects, modding, daz, poser, 3dsmax, game engines...anything that will attract wannabe and experienced movie makers etc.

Any further ideas/suggestions/help that may benefit the promo work would be much appreciated:-)

#6 homemadeeye

homemadeeye

Net Worth: 50,000 VCs

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

I love this idea, and I'm definitely interested in participating somehow. I'll see if I can't come up with a promo of some sort. I won't be able to make something like Rik Vargard's promo (which was perfect) but I'll see if I can come up with something.

#7 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I love this idea, and I'm definitely interested in participating somehow. I'll see if I can't come up with a promo of some sort. I won't be able to make something like Rik Vargard's promo (which was perfect) but I'll see if I can come up with something.

My own promo is not a patch on Rik's, but hopefully it will do the job of getting the message out...so yeah, much appreciated sir:-)

I also planned to make more promos about some of the movie making software we use (Iclone, Moviestorm etc.) as well as artist (photoshop, corel painter etc.), effects (hitfilm, after effects etc.), outside editing (Vegas, premiere etc.) and music (FL studio, Reason etc.) software...if anybody else wants to take on one (or more) of these, the door's wide open:-)

If anyone needs narrator VOs for their promos, I'm up for those too:-)

#8 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I've contacted a couple of people a while ago regarding the use of two 2 second clips from a second life movie and a muvizu movie with no reply...looks like they haven't been on here in a while anyways, so I didn't want to hold my breath too long.

Just wondering, Is there anyone still here who has made a second life and/or Muvizu movie who wouldn't object to me using two 2 second clips from each movie for the promo?

Thanks in advance:-)

#9 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've contacted a couple of people a while ago regarding the use of two 2 second clips from a second life movie and a muvizu movie with no reply...looks like they haven't been on here in a while anyways, so I didn't want to hold my breath too long.

Just wondering, Is there anyone still here who has made a second life and/or Muvizu movie who wouldn't object to me using two 2 second clips from each movie for the promo?

Thanks in advance:-)

Chris was active for a while in Second Life. He might be able to hook you up. I believe a lot of his Weekly Look shows were recorded from SL. For movieZu you might need to leave a message on their forums. Warlord made a muvizu promo a while back and he's pretty active. Might be worth a shot there. Also Biggstrek made this one here. He is active as well.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Chris was active for a while in Second Life. He might be able to hook you up. I believe a lot of his Weekly Look shows were recorded from SL. For movieZu you might need to leave a message on their forums. Warlord made a muvizu promo a while back and he's pretty active. Might be worth a shot there. Also Biggstrek made this one here. He is active as well.

Thanks Biz, appreciate it:-)
  • Johnny Ex likes this

#11 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

You can use what you want of mine. :)

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#12 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

You can use what you want of mine. :)

Many thanks Biggs:-)

Got Warlords approval too, so that's muvizu taken care of.
Still need a Second Life movie...loved Riott's movies, but don't see her much around here these days.
  • kwistufa likes this

#13 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Sounds Good Bez!! Love the Commitment.

I DID see over at the MS Forums that the "The one and only real, authentic machinima community on the web." quote seemed to Offend a couple of People.. :huh:

Harb & I did try to put out that Spot fire though... ;)
Hopefully others from the MS Forums will come over and have a 'Bo-Peep' at what we have here
& the rich amount of Talent & Community Spirit & the Fact that we aren't trying to 'steal' people from other Forums..
Just bringing it all together & sharing all the forms of Machinima in the One place..
I frequent the MS Forums AND this Wonderful Place and neither distracts from the other for me.
  • Harb40 likes this

#14 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sounds Good Bez!! Love the Commitment.

I DID see over at the MS Forums that the "The one and only real, authentic machinima community on the web." quote seemed to Offend a couple of People.. :huh:

Harb & I did try to put out that Spot fire though... ;)
Hopefully others from the MS Forums will come over and have a 'Bo-Peep' at what we have here
& the rich amount of Talent & Community Spirit & the Fact that we aren't trying to 'steal' people from other Forums..
Just bringing it all together & sharing all the forms of Machinima in the One place..
I frequent the MS Forums AND this Wonderful Place and neither distracts from the other for me.

Absolutely bang on Kwis...and I think pretty much everyone here feels that too.
Let's face it, TMU started out as an alternative to TMO, but soon proved to be much more than just another 'the movies' forum.

These days, I would go as far as to say that TMU is a free-to-join-free-to-use online movie studio...and to me, that's maybe how other communities should view it.
A place where you can write, edit, produce, direct and talk film as well as recruit VAs, modders, artists, musicians etc. to make whatever kind of movie you want in whatever 3d animation medium you want!

I also believe that it can only benefit all the 'machinima' communities too, in that all involved get to meet new (and more importantly) like-minded people.

Big thanks to you and Harb...hopefully, if all this works out, they'll look at us more favourably:-)
  • Harb40 likes this

#15 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Some people are just so sensitive about what gets advertised on sites that are more or less geared towards one product that they are offended when someone else comes along and shows them where they can get more exposure because that exposure also involves competitor's products. For the most part it was only a few people on MS that gave any grief.

I saw the wording as being a place that is 'all inclusive' which is, in reality, and not limited to just 1 or 2 engines, which is very true.

I know some I have talked to on the different Facebook animation groups were having some trouble registering here becasue it was posted that you should do a 'guest pm' and no one could find that option. I pointed them to the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. There you can leave all your info and write what you want to say. Hopefully that works out until Ken finishes the upgrades and move.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#16 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Some people are just so sensitive about what gets advertised on sites that are more or less geared towards one product that they are offended when someone else comes along and shows them where they can get more exposure because that exposure also involves competitor's products.

Just read the thread on MS forums and I'm actually a bit surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) that some folk see things that way...to be honest, the thought never even crossed my mind when I first saw Rik's promo.

Chris Ollis's comment even states 'why can't human beings ever just get along'...and to me, that is the whole purpose of doing what we're doing here.
As you both rightfully said, this isn't about one-upmanship...it's about bringing a communtity of talented movie makers together, regardless of what engine they use...and not just movie makers either.

As I said in my reply to Kwis, I think of TMU as an online non-profit movie studio for machinima and animation software (anisoft? softmation? aniware?...damn, we need a new word) movies...and that covers a LOT of ground!

In the few movies I've made here so far, I've received incredible help in writing, modding, music, voice acting, poster art, directing, visual effects...my end credits now list like those of theater quality movies!...as well as getting helpful reviews and great advice, and on top of all that, I've made some great friends here.

For me, it's not just about what software we use, but what we create with it and who we create it with, and I think that the more people open their minds to that concept, the more of a fighting chance TMU has.
  • Ken White likes this

#17 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Folks, please help Rik Vargard's promo get more views on youtube and vimeo...watch, leave a 'like' and a comment and share on the SNs.

Youtube

Vimeo

Let's restore TMU to its former glory.

Thanks for your support:-)

#18 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Haven't been active in this thread, just following it, since I've been busy working on something else that should help raise some money for my TMU dreams....

I know some I have talked to on the different Facebook animation groups were having some trouble registering here becasue it was posted that you should do a 'guest pm' and no one could find that option. I pointed them to the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. There you can leave all your info and write what you want to say. Hopefully that works out until Ken finishes the upgrades and move.

It may be the end of year before we can finish all the server move stuff. I've changed the message at the movie site with a link to the "contact us" form that lets them contact me directly. When I turned off registration on the movie site, I didn't think it would take as long as it's taking, but my finances haven't been up-ticking, as they say. Another $50/month for the new server on top of the $150/month all this costs me now would only help me experiment with how little you can eat per month and still be alive at the end...

Note that this registration turn-off is only on the movie site - the forums are still open for registration, though we do have to manually approve them to weed out those that are not part of the 75,000+ so far weeded out by Spamomatic. It would speed things in that regard if, when you direct somebody to the forums, that you have them put your name into the referrer field. That way, when I get a user like one in the queue right now (FloridaBi using a Diego Garcia IP address) I can pass 'em through (but since FloridaBi doesn't have a referrer, I think I'm gonna get the spam swatter)

For me, it's not just about what software we use, but what we create with it and who we create it with, and I think that the more people open their minds to that concept, the more of a fighting chance TMU has.

That's what I've been preaching since day one. But for some reason, many of the MS users have always been very provincial in their attitudes about that, and I have no idea why.

Anyway, I truly appreciate what all of you are doing - Rik with his amazing promo and the rest of you with your support. Our numbers may be down at the moment, but numbers don't enter into my decision to keep the site running.
  • kwistufa likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#19 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Awesome. This is the first I've had a nosey on here in quite a while and glad to see you guys whipping up a bit of much needed activity around the site. These days I don't really get a chance to do much filmmaking but if anyone would like any help with VOs, writing or music for promos, etc I'd be glad to be of assistance :)

And since I can just about hear Ken breathing down my neck at this point, yes, I'll have Wee Tommy's lines done soon. I've been in Vietnam goddammit, give a man a break! :tt2:

Anyway, great job guys. Your attitude is what I always loved about this place :punk:
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#20 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Great to see you back Mac and thanks for your support:-)

Ken, it never ceases to amaze me regarding what you've done with and for TMU...I still believe that its full potential hasn't been unleashed yet, so hopefully by doing what we're doing, we can achieve that:-)

My own TMU promo is now up...

http://www.tmundergr......0into movies!

YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.c....ature=youtu.be

VIMEO -

Huge thanks to Kipster for the tmu exploding logo, Biggs, Kwis, Warlord and Riott for use of the clips, Rik for inspiration and Ken for this amazing community:-)
Tunnel animation by Wilson Faustin.

Please leave a 'like' and a comment on youtube and vimeo...and don't forget to share:-)

And don't forget to check out Rik's promo...
http://www.tmundergr...TMU-Promo-Movie

Please help me, Rik and of course, TMU by making and upping your own promos...Let's restore TMU to its former glory.

Edited by Bezzer, 10 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users