The great tmu revival

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

In some ways I think the detail isn't as important as creating the feeling that 'something is happening'. We are on the move, if you don't check in you might miss something..etc etc...
Everyone has their own interpretation of what machinima is and where it should be heading, but I think Ken is right on focusing on creating an eco system where collective creativity can determine what happens organically. A 'lick of paint' will go a long way towards convincing visitors that this site isn't a museum piece, but a living community.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#222 rposhard

rposhard

I am the Wogglebug (choo choo ka-choo)

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

I remember that reaction to Rik's promo, which shows you gotta be careful how you phrase things when re-branding. I agree with much of what Bezzer said, especially about not using the word "Machnima" in our name as it might tend to mislead people into thinking we are another machinima.com gaming site. I only suggested the word "universe" in our name because Ken had used it in the previous post and I felt it was a better all-encompassing word, but I would agree that "underground" suits us just as well.

My only adjustment to your post would be to use the word "community" instead of "home". I would call us "The Premier Community for Virtual Cinema" (or maybe not use the word "Premier" as that sounds a bit haughty -- we need an adjective that shows that we are a "one-stop" source for all things in virtual cinema).

Anyway, just my two cents -- probably less than that in today's economy.

#223 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

In some ways I think the detail isn't as important as creating the feeling that 'something is happening'. We are on the move, if you don't check in you might miss something..etc etc...
Everyone has their own interpretation of what machinima is and where it should be heading, but I think Ken is right on focusing on creating an eco system where collective creativity can determine what happens organically. A 'lick of paint' will go a long way towards convincing visitors that this site isn't a museum piece, but a living community.

100%! Major emphasis on event programming. Scheduling things (radio events, movie night events, education events, contest events) at intervals so theres always something going on instead of a big primary push followed by a petering out. I see the calendar becoming a big deal.

Bezzer, I wouldnt just focus on the Ollies (unless it was an Ollies promo) for a general promo as they occurred quite a while back and only include two years.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#224 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

I remember that reaction to Rik's promo, which shows you gotta be careful how you phrase things when re-branding. I agree with much of what Bezzer said, especially about not using the word "Machnima" in our name as it might tend to mislead people into thinking we are another machinima.com gaming site. I only suggested the word "universe" in our name because Ken had used it in the previous post and I felt it was a better all-encompassing word, but I would agree that "underground" suits us just as well.

My only adjustment to your post would be to use the word "community" instead of "home". I would call us "The Premier Community for Virtual Cinema" (or maybe not use the word "Premier" as that sounds a bit haughty -- we need an adjective that shows that we are a "one-stop" source for all things in virtual cinema).

Anyway, just my two cents -- probably less than that in today's economy.

Agreed:-)

I only used 'home' as an example anyways, but something along the lines of what you said sounds great:-)

Just my two cents (or two pence) too, but I think something as small as this has potential pulling power and distinguishes storytelling from gamer.

Biz, I meant an Ollies showcase as a part of a promotion...despite the fact that some of the movies are a few years old, they could still serve well to highlight the storytelling aspect of the community and the various platforms used to create those movies.

#225 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

I think Ken is right on focusing on creating an eco system where collective creativity can determine what happens organically

And I agree Kate, but isn't that exactly what we already had/have right now?
And whilst I, like most people still here, genuinely believe that what we already have is already fantastic, the community is sadly still in decline.

A 'lick of paint' will go a long way towards convincing visitors that this site isn't a museum piece, but a living community.

A lick of paint will certainly help, but IMO, those details as well as that paint can only serve to help 'sell the house'.

#226 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

Maybe I should have said 'curate a community' as that gives more of an impression of ongoing updates, rather than one big push followed by a petering out..as Thebiz said.
I've been watching on UK tv a series of programs based around hotelier Alex Polizzi;
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Alex_Polizzi

She goes into family businesses and helps them update and sort out their priorities. One of the issues she finds is that it is sometimes hard for families to take the steps to move forwards because old conflicts resurface, and rather than face up to the need for change, the business owners will hide away and keep doing what they are doing.

In my opinion, the worst thing that could happen is that potential moves forward get mired down in disagreements, or in trying to hold onto the past in some way.
Any site update needs to be tied to some letting go, and moving on.

Ken has been through one of those major life experiences wherein you either let go of stuff or you get pulled under. I have a belief that the life blood of any site is linked to the mojo of the owner, no matter how much others contribute, there is only one owner.

If things changes some people may not like the results, or the updates may not go far enough for others. it is a risk, but a smaller one than doing nothing.

Right now, I personally am in favour of simplicity. I've given up on the idea of a name change for the site (how quickly...in the series of a few posts!), I'm not that bothered about what we call machinima.

I'm reading Ken's posts and saying, yes, uhuh, yes!, under my breath.

We are not where we were...most of us are beaten up ex-machinimators who need a stair-lift to get us back up to the making movie floor.
Maybe I'm not alone in feeling that the machinima journey has been an emotional, and at times exhausting experience...with many highs and lows.

In order to create we need a measured doses of delusion, an ability to believe in something which does not yet exist, and we also need to be grounded in our collective experience.

I'm quoting the advice of our community centre secretary, when asked how she organised X. "Just do it, make mistakes, then the next time we do it better".

It would be a mistake not to think about things at all, as much as over thinking...we've got very little idea where we are. let's just do something and see where it gets us? Web designs aren't carved in granite.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#227 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Perfectly said Kate.
Me talk good some day.
Posted Image

#228 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

Grassroots Politics

A grassroots movement (often referenced in the context of a political movement) is driven by a community's politics. The term implies that the creation of the movement and the group supporting it are natural and spontaneous, highlighting the differences between this and a movement that is orchestrated by traditional power structures. Grassroots movements are often at the local level, as many volunteers in the community give their time to support the local party, which can lead to helping the national party. For instance, a grassroots movement can lead to significant voter registration for a political party, which in turn helps the state and national parties.

get out there and mingle with the common folk...shake some hands...kiss some babies...set up booths of information at events...throw live stream meet and greets...promote movies with live streamed get-togethers and "college class type" reviews and opinions about the movie before and afterwards

#229 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

Like I said, what we do is niche. In the most glorious of past glory days, we were still niche. We used to occasionally get guests on the radio show who were convinced that story-based Machinima was on the verge of breaking out. Becoming mainstream. We would be the new Hollywood. I would politely disagree (because I tried to shy away from telling guests that I thought they were delusional). And perhaps they were right, in terms of "Machinima" becoming more mainstream. Or at least more popular among a certain demographic. That demographic being gamers, not filmmakers.

I fell into that group until I learned that one the hard way. Let's say last year was a good swift kick to the self esteem.

I guess maybe time is a huge factor and a luxury for some; but if there's going to be competitions. I say they should be short, challenging, and fun to do. Mefune's trailer competition was the perfect example. If someone can resurrect it; it would be a good idea.
  • Johnny Ex likes this

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#230 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

OCD guy at set dressing

how can u not love this guy

#231 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

I guess maybe time is a huge factor and a luxury for some; but if there's going to be competitions. I say they should be short, challenging, and fun to do. Mefune's trailer competition was the perfect example. If someone can resurrect it; it would be a good idea.

I actually think regular, well-promoted competitions with prizes will be one of the better ways of luring filmmakers into our web of creativity. Make it worth the time and effort to enter the comp, and they'll come. And if they're really interested in making animated films, they'll stay once they see what the community offers.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#232 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

I've been crushed at work and just spent 12 of the past 17 hours driving to and from a wedding (and missed the show, but it was a beautiful wedding) so I haven't been on this thread. But I have a few cents to throw in. I have no killer idea, so I won't bother joining the chiming in on those already working on one (though I find myself agreeing a lot with what's being said). I'd like to just add my own experience and see if anybody else can relate. I started doing machinima as a way to experiment with story telling. I had no idea where it might go, but once I found this site, a light bulb went on and I thought I could make movies. I was wrong, but I did learn a lot. I learned that to make a good film, a lot of things need to be done well. I'm not good enough at all of them to wind up with the film I want at the end of it all.

I wonder how many others feel the same way? I think I would welcome some structure around collaboration -- maybe one of the contests. The 48 hour film festival contests used to generate a lot of collaboration, however brief. Maybe something longer term could do the same without the time crush.

#233 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

a light bulb went on and I thought I could make movies.

Art is what it is...any form...the idea of creating something with imagination and hard work

storytelling just got a new voice...TMU spreads that voice

#234 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

This afternoon, after I get done in Goldfinger's radiation emporium, I'm going to be doing some rearranging here in the forum - basically a separate forum to focus on discussion about what direction the community wants to go in the areas we discussed on the show yesterday.

Essentially it'll be a place to drill down, and come up with a game plan for the summer in all aspects.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#235 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ken, you mentioned that the new server will be integrated into the movie site right?
Does that completely erase old forum posts and threads and exsisting movie comments?
One more thing...did I hear correctly about a subscription fee? Or was I half drunk, or both?
Posted Image

#236 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

I love this ghost town...empty or not...it's my home

There will be no revival...much like the dinosaur's...all of us will fade away

So spend precious time enjoying our home...the way it is...not for what it once was or "could be"

WE are a small bunch...a creative bunch...lovers of all things animated bunch...we are...

THE WILD BUNCH

• kwistufa likes this

#237 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:11 AM

Love
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic