[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Posted Image[/TD]
[TD]Meet Ethel Cummings
Next door neighbour.

Ethel is a busybody, who hates being disturbed.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

As the launch date approaches, what could possibly go wrong?
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#2 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sounds interesting.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#3 mysterysgames

mysterysgames

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Sounds like a fun idea! The characters look great. I look forward to hearing/seeing more :)

#4 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sounds pretty cool.

I look forward to it!

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hurray, she's back! ;)

#6 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

Coolio. Looks like fun.

#7 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

This looks fun glad to see you have decided on your "weapon of choice" for this one. I will assume you didnt find it that awkward to use :)

#8 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

@UL Heheh. I must admit to a certain amount of thrashing about and kkffoolery.
Luckily still shots are very forgiving.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I had got to the point where I definitely needed some :boat:

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Posted Image

Quick screenshot of my last capture of the day in Crazytalk animator. Hopefully the res is high enough for you to see the settings.
I set the output size to the exact size of the relevant comic panel, so I don't need to lose sharpness changing this later.
I can compose each character separately inside the view frame in CTA, then export as a png with transparency to inkscape where the comic is being composed.
Posted Image

Here you can see the same shot, embedded in an not yet completed comic book page in inkscape.
I'm finding it easiest to add the words and speech bubbles first, then shuffle them around if needed after adding characters.
Everything can be put into different layers in inkscape, and unwanted items locked off to stop accidental moving around.
As the images can be embedded, and updates I make from CTA appear live within the project file....very handy!
I can also change the wording if something doesn't look right as I go.

This page needs some shots of Dennis arguing with Ethel, tails adding to speech bubbles, and of course some background textures.

#10 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Excellent characters with a consistent style. Did you create them all from scratch? You might play a little with your font selection to get it to pop a bit more but overall its looking great! The hand gesture similarity jumped out a bit to me. Facial expressions look awesome!

I'll have to check out this Inkscape. Sounds handy. Does it have tools to simplify the comic making process or are you basically going freehand with your own style?

How will this be released? Online or print? A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about something similar and started doing research into various online comic book formats. A lot of choices and interesting possibilities.

Edited by thebiz, 16 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#11 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

The characters are all from stock. I swapped body parts around, and recoloured items in the inbuilt editor. I'd already started this project before rejoining here, and had been put off the idea of importing custom characters by comments on the RL forum.
I do need to have at least one custom character though, so will need to be brave at some point.

Thanks for the feedback. The font I used is pretty dull looking. I was trying to play safe for readability on small devices but I maybe overdid that. I probably need to do some testing to see what I can get away with.
I also love the expressions, now I am getting into handling these a bit better. Once I've posed the body and face using the puppeting thingy I use the sprite editor to get tweak the look..swap the mouth, eyes etc if needed.

Inkscape is megacool. It is an open source vector drawing package and there are lots of tutorials available on the net. I tried a lot of different software and this worked best for me (not the adobe suite though as it is beyond my budget). There is a learning curve, but if you have used vectors before it shouldn't be too hard. It isn't set up especially for comics, I needed to create my own templates. Once they are done though, you can re-use and resize things without loss of resolution.

I am aiming towards releasing this for kindle, using the new(ish) comic creator released by amazon. This does create some restrictions on style, but the limitations are there to improve readability on smaller devices. I can however take the finished pages and convert them to other formats, so I'd be very interested in your findings about other outlets.

#12 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Here's the nearly completed page 6.
I just spotted a typo, and I am now wondering about fonts.
I chopped off one of Ethel's hands also :)
The page dimensions are to fit with the kindle comic creator (though it will take others, it just reduces them down, I didn't want that)

Posted Image

#13 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Middle-aged hatchling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Or is that Christmas Pudding?

"You are too small minded to see past the end of your manicured lawn."

Fantastic! I can't wait for more :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

As you may be able to see, I worked out how to use the blur tool within Inkscape to get the smoke and fire effects.

It sometimes takes a long time for things to sink in, but the good thing about making this comic book page by page is the repetitive nature of some of the tasks.
It is finally sinking in how to combine simple geometric objects to create others by using various *path* tools.
I don't think I will forget how to clip objects now (I always had to look this up before).

Creating poses and facial expressions in CTA is feeling a little less like herding kittens through jelly, each time I repeat the process.

I'm also feeling more confident about breaking up Vector objects and adapting , or recombining these to make some thing more suitable.
The rocket in the above frames was a free download from http://openclipart.o...ocket-by-purzen

I've been very pleased to realise how many high quality vector files are available. Everything from the above site is public domain, so not even the fairly generous pre-trimble sketchup type model license to negotiate.
When necessary I can make my own 'props' using inkscape tools. For instance I added the sun and an extra cloud to the sky of the right-hand panel..another use of the blur tool!

The background textures were made 'from scratch' using artrage. I treated myself to the upgrade, but I could have managed with the complimentary version which came with my graphics tablet (basic wacom bamboo.. basic entry model, not a fancy one)

So a good day! Feel like I'm learning, stuff is working and it's great to see the graphics appearing on the page as I work.

(Heh just spotted a glitch! Oh well, back to the virtual drawing board :) )

#15 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

This is starting to look great. I love comics so anything done in this style always gets me curious

Also glad to hear your feeling less lost with all the animation stuff and tools. Humans are well we tend to loose most of what we learn the first time round in 24 hours so we need to repeat things until it all sticks. Its also a case of not looking at the entire thing at once and getting scared away by whatever it is that seems daunting. :)

#16 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Yes I think you are right, and this task naturally breaks down into pages, which can be completed in a single session of a few hours. This makes it easier just to focus on the task in front of me rather than being overwhelmed by the whole.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comedy, comic, crazytalk animator, space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users