ollies tmu

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations on getting this contest going again!
Do we need to nominate for every category in order to submit?
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#22 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Congratulations on getting this contest going again!
Do we need to nominate for every category in order to submit?

Thanks for the kind words Kate. No, you don't have to hit every category but please do the best you can.

#23 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I wrote up a Brief History of the Ollies a while back and intended to publish it on Dec 31st but alas...tipsy tipsy. Anywho, here it is for now. Feel free to include your favorite Ollie moments there if your so inclined.

In a day or two I will discuss the possible plans and thresholds for success/failure of this years Ollies. Pass or Fail we shall be transparent.

Now get back to putting your nominations together...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

My plan for this years Ollie Awards Ceremony was to make a awards film complete with opening/closing montages, movie clips and acceptance speeches (possibly animated by the winners themselves). Then premier the movie and allow everyone a chance to watch the ceremony together. It would be a lot of work but could be quite successful with the proper time and resources.

Any thoughts on this type of ceremony?

Before we get to that point however, lets discuss our current status. How many nominations would it take to move forward to the voting round? A popular movie these days gets about 15-20 comments. A quick look at the TMU forums shows us that approximately 60 people have left a thread comment since November 1 (I feel like this is a good metric of active users). Additionally this thread gets about 150 views per day. Figuring repeat users and spambots lets say 30 people look it over each day. Based on this data I figured 15 nominations would be considered a success. The second phase of Voting for the nominees is an easier process so I hope for higher numbers during that process but lets see if can get to that point.

Does 15 nominations sound like a realistic goal? 10 perhaps?

Currently we have 3 nominations which isn't going to cut it (though thank you to those three). If in the end the nominations don't come then I will be ok with moving on to something else feeling good that I tried to give the community the opportunity to bring back the Ollies. There's still 2.5 weeks to go though and I think things might pick up as the deadline approaches.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make this a success?

#25 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Biz, first off, a shedload of respect to you for bringing back the Ollies...an extremely important part of TMU culture and all that TMU stands for.

But I think the importance of as many people as possible participating in this years Ollies really needs to be highlighted.

There are people here who are literally putting everything they've got into the TMU revival...and then there are those that aren't.
If this year's Ollies are to succeed, they need TMU's 100% help, support and participation...YOU!

The Ollies are all about YOUR movies, YOUR talents, YOUR nominations, YOUR votes, YOUR participation...YOUR community!
Only by participating regularly can we continue to showcase what it is we do here and hold events like this.

Biz has taken on a huge, huge task here...not because he has to or even because he wants to, but because he's genuinely passionate about machinima, its creators and what TMU stands for...I think the least we can all do is take time out to nominate some great movies, chip in with any good ideas and help put together a great freakin' show this year.

My own nominations (and hopefully a few suggestions) coming very soon Biz.

#26 homemadeeye

homemadeeye

Net Worth: 50,000 VCs

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

I will be sending in my nominations eventually. I want assess every movie on the list before doing it so everyone gets a fair shot, and I have very limited time these days. Is there a deadline right now for nominations? I hope everyone on here submits nominations, and gives every movie a chance, not just the ones they've already seen.

#27 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Is there a deadline right now for nominations?

Indeed there is. Get those nominations in by the end of this month 12pm EST. Plenty of time to get your view and review on and your favorites listed. 16 days and counting.

#28 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image

#29 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Fair play to you sir for resurrecting this - Best of luck! I better start checking out some movies that have been released over the last year so I can send in some nominations.

#30 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Fospherous! Good to hear from ya.

We are two thirds of the way to the deadline. 10 Days left to get your nominations in.

#31 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

#32 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Only five days left to get those nominations in. Step to it!

#33 homemadeeye

homemadeeye

Net Worth: 50,000 VCs

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'm almost done, but I can't make up my damn mind!

#34 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Posted Image

#35 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Last day to get your nominations in.

Currently we have 5 nominations which is 10 short of the goal. Get them in if your getting them in. If we fall short I will move on to something else. No hard feelings. Live, love, learn, lurk, loofah. I will let you know this weekend if the goal is met.

I had the opportunity over the weekend to chat with Ken and Monk about the Ollies, the nomination process, sketchup, puppet movies, the long process of making animated movies, whatever happened to Rileyman and um...New Jersey. You can download the mp3 here.

Edited by thebiz, 31 January 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#36 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

Well I sent in my nominations. I like to do these things last minute, keeps the edge on :)

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#37 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

The final tally was 8 nominations which doesn't make the cut. Just cant get consensus from 8 votes. Thanks a lot to all who participated and sent in your nominations. Perhaps some time in the future the participation level will be greater.This thread got 5K views in a month which tells me people were interested but as Ken and I discussed in that discussion (see link below) the nomination process is very difficult. Once you give folks a few choices to select between (the actual voting process) the participation rate grows. Right now I don't have an answer as to how to how to improve this. Perhaps someone in the future will.

Now, whats next....

Edited by thebiz, 02 February 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#38 Bezzer

Bezzer

senior warrior

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

The final tally was 8 nominations which doesn't make the cut. Just cant get consensus from 8 votes. Thanks a lot to all who participated and sent in your nominations. Perhaps some time in the future the participation level will be greater.This thread got 5K views in a month which tells me people were interested but as Ken and I discussed in that discussion (see link below) the nomination process is very difficult. Once you give folks a few choices to select between (the actual voting process) the participation rate grows. Right now I don't have an answer as to how to how to improve this. Perhaps someone in the future will.

Now, whats next....

That's a real, real shame:-(
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to this anyways Biz...maybe next time, eh?

#39 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the show link. It felt like a good way to catch up on current thinking and was quite thought provoking.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#40 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm a notorious procrastinator and let the deadline pass me by, I'm ashamed of myself.
Thank you thebiz for being a standup member of the U and trying to put it together.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ollies, tmu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users