12 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

After much thought (and digging for coins) I have renewed the domain name and hosting services for the Passion Competition for 1 more year.

So, there will be a competition in 2015. Now to figure out all the specifics.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 mysterysgames

mysterysgames

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

I'm really glad that you decided this way, I was hoping for this decision very much. :thumbup:

#3 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

The 2015 version of the Passion Competition is starting to take shape.

A new section for 2015 has been added to the Competitions section of the Competition forums.

One change that will happen this year is there will be no 'exclusion for previous year's winners'. Everyone will be able to submit to both the video and short story categories.

The prize packages will be determined by participation. I will be working up something with the sponsors (still to be determined) on prize availability set by how many entries we receive. Due to the low turnout last year, the sponsors cut back on what they were willing to offer. So, I will try to work up 2 or 3 sets of packages with a higher quality of prize for each level of participation (to be determined but it looks like a minimum of 25-30 entries to hit the second level and probably 40-50 for top level [one sponsor usually only offers 1 piece of software per 20 entries so in order to get the top level I would like, we would have to have 60+ entries]). This is still to be determined.

#4 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

In addition to the video and short story category prizes, a few people have questioned me about adding categories to increase participation.
Several ideas have been put forth such as making separate awards for comedy, drama, etc. and best director, actor, etc.

Of all the ideas, I think it could be possible to add in a best director in the video category. The question is how to do it and what kind of prize.
My thought is if we were to do it, we would have the judges pick 2 or 3 directors and then tally the results. Whichever name has the most mentions would win. Maybe an Amazon gift card.

Your thoughts?

If this were to happen, how do we pick a Best Director? What would be an adequate prize?

#5 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

I think having different categories would be more likely to confuse things and certain categories wouldn't get the required participation.. I think it's best to keep your two existing categories and then maybe add a viewers' choice prize or something?
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#6 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

I think having different categories would be more likely to confuse things and certain categories wouldn't get the required participation.. I think it's best to keep your two existing categories and then maybe add a viewers' choice prize or something?

I have to agree with mac. Better to stick with fewer categories, otherwise you risk diluting the whole concept.

:31:

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#7 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

Agreed. Hoping for a fun theme this year.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

I'm agreeing with previous comments, that making things more complicated doesn't feel like the way to go.
The simpler the theme and the structure the easier it is for potential submitters to understand.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#9 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

Also thinking a broader theme might help, as I know I personally found last year's a bit restrictive and it took me ages to think of an idea lol.
  • kkffoo likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#10 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:16 AM

We are happy to announce that Final Draft has agreed to sponsor this year's competition.

Attached File  Final Draft 2.jpg   5.43KB   3 downloads

They have allowed us their Final Draft 9 software.

So, anyone up for trying to write a screenplay or script? How about just writing a short story of 3000-5000 words for your chance to get a copy.

Attached Files

• Johnny Ex likes this

#11 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

After much thought (and digging for coins) I have renewed the domain name and hosting services for the Passion Competition for 1 more year.

So, there will be a competition in 2015. Now to figure out all the specifics.

thnx 4 doin this

#12 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:14 PM

I really like final draft when I trialled it. It felt like a more sophisticated and finished version of Celtx. It's a great prize.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#13 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

I really like final draft. It's a great prize.

I have been trying to get them for 2 years. Glad they agreed to join us.

thnx 4 doin this

My way of giving back to the community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users