• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

This subforum is, for me as the backstage tech guy, one of the most important.

We almost certainly will be going to a custom script for the movie site - one that meets all of our requirements. So set your imagination free. What would you like to see? I'm not promising that everything is doable, but if it can be done, it will be done.

I'd also like to see some consensus from the community on what we want from a custom movie site script within the next couple of months (say by mid-April, beginning of May). That will give me an opportunity to run it past the people who will hopefully be writing it, and see what kind of obstacles might be there between what we want and what they can do.

Cause if they can't do it, then it will be time to start scouting for a coder or coders who can.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:47 AM

One idea for the new site:

Have a way for filmmakers to nominate their film for an Ollie straight from the film's page, and have that nomination capture the metadata we vote on (actor, writer, director, genre, etc.) as part of the nomination. Then the site could have a way to organize nominations into a voting page for an annual Ollies show! Make the Ollies easier to facilitate and it will be a lot easier to revive them.

I have ideas on what the Ollies voting site should be like also, but that's another post.

#3 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

Have a way for filmmakers to nominate their film for an Ollie straight from the film's page, and have that nomination capture the metadata we vote on (actor, writer, director, genre, etc.) as part of the nomination.

That was actually one of the things that Rileyman was beginning to work on before he disappeared into the fog of iPhone app development.

It would be a subsection of the competition module that would allow filmmakers or others to nominate their films, and later "group" them, for lack of a better term once the official nominations were decided for easy viewing by the membership. (And part of the Ollie planning should be how we sort the wheat from the chaff - I mean, I'm all in favor of anybody being able to nominate any film, but that doesn't mean it deserves a nomination except in the filmmaker's head. So we'll need to come up with some mechanism - maybe something like the Expo screening panel - to choose a manageable list of nominees in each category...I'd think, but maybe I'm just too elitist....)

Which brings to mind another thing, which I'll post in another thread here...

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

I love the idea of the unified chatroom. Perhaps would need a way to signify from where the user is chatting though. This way if the user is talking about something going on in a radio show, another user who is watching a movie or reading the forums would realize what they are chatting about.

A couple previously mentioned issues:

SexyMaria mentioned a ways back that she would like to see an ability to categorize the film by software and thus be searchable by software. I kinda like this idea. I suppose all the older movies would have no category (unless someone wanted to go back and assign them) but going forward we could consider this.

Dulci mentioned that she would like to receive an email when someone comments on her movies.

Harb mentioned that he would like to see embedded movie sizes handled better so as to not overflow from the page layout.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

I love the idea of the unified chatroom. Perhaps would need a way to signify from where the user is chatting though. This way if the user is talking about something going on in a radio show, another user who is watching a movie or reading the forums would realize what they are chatting about.

Maybe doable - I'm probably not looking to have somebody code a chatbox/chatroom (though there are so many that it doesn't seem like it's really complicated) - and the ones I looked at last night don't seem like they'd have that functionality - though I have seen chatboxes (sometimes called shoutboxes) on websites that have different functionality (things like new posts being automatically added as a "shout" etc.) so maybe additional configuration is possible.

SexyMaria mentioned a ways back that she would like to see an ability to categorize the film by software and thus be searchable by software. I kinda like this idea. I suppose all the older movies would have no category (unless someone wanted to go back and assign them) but going forward we could consider this.

Dulci mentioned that she would like to receive an email when someone comments on her movies.

Harb mentioned that he would like to see embedded movie sizes handled better so as to not overflow from the page layout.

Categorize by software - yes, just another field in the movie site data I talked about here.

Email for comments - it's a function of many of the available scripts I've looked at, so obviously easy enough to do, and worthwhile.

Embedding movie sizes - Yes, we need something like this in our specs for the script - it's ridiculous that a filmmaker doing an embed needs to put in the frigging dimensions. Certainly there has to be an easy way to scale the embed to fit whatever dimensions we have on the movie page.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#6 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

It's been a long while, but I do vaguely recall discussing the idea of a "competitions module"; with an admin area for setting up competition parameters, having it featured on the main page, and a voting system.

To address the embedded movies issue... Modern HTML5 and CSS3 with proper coding that actually validates is a good starting point. ;) These days, styling a website dynamically based on the user's browser dimensions (and device) is very much a reality. Looking through the HTML source, tmunderground looks to be embedded three <table> tags deep -- browser support has come a ways since you needed to use tables to properly format your page.
  • Johnny Ex likes this

Restoring my old website, mod packs, and movies at http://www.riley-man.com/

Trying my hand at MovieStorm, making some really immature parodies on my Totally Over the Top Fake News channel to amuse myself

#7 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

That sounds wonderful. I'd really like to view the site's movies in comfort, curled up on the sofa with my android tablet. At the moment I need to whizz back and forth to the original upload site as of course the flash embed won't function on my device.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#8 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

So Riley suggested in the supersecret admin forum that I share the ideas we were discussing there for the Competition Module with the whole gang....it'll be a long post, since he goes into some detail of what it would have been and how it would have run, but it's a good blueprint for the kind of thing I'd like to see for other aspects of the new movie site. This kind of detail will let me put together a development document for when we pass it on to the people who'll be coding it...

Take it away, Rileyman...

Movie Site Admins

Creating a new competition
So, a member has decided to initiate a competition... That member must seek out a movie site Admin to initiate it.
New competitions will be initiated by an Admin in the administrator area of the movie site. The Admin only needs to enter the name of the competition, and choose the studio who will manage the competition. From then on, the Competition Manager takes over.

Managing competitions
Movie site Admins will have the ability to deactivate or re-activate any competition. They will also have the ability to act as a surrogate Competition Manager for any competition, should the need arise.

This gives us some amount of administrative authority over new competitions being started (so it doesn't end in mayhem), but keeps the amount of Admin involvement to a minimum.

Competition Managers

The Competition Manager, as appointed by an Admin, becomes the primary authority for that specific competition.

Open vs. Closed Competitions
Competitions can be marked as either OPEN or CLOSED.
An OPEN competition allows any member to vote in any category.
A CLOSED competition requires the Competition Manager to set up a list of Judges. Judges must be members on TMU, and will be the only members allowed to vote in the competition.

Category Types
Each competition can have any number of categories. Each category can be linked to any of:

• A single TMU movie
  • A single TMU studio
  • A single TMU movie, and a single TMU studio (or a name)

The last type is used for circumstances such as "best actor"... it allows people to type the name of the actor, if that person does not have a TMU studio.

Open vs. Closed Categories
Each category can be marked as either OPEN or CLOSED.
An OPEN category allows any TMU movie or studio on the site to be under consideration.
A CLOSED category requires the Competition Manager to set up the list of TMU movies or studios (depending on the Category Type) available for consideration.

Category Voting Types
Each category allows members to vote in one or five different ways:

• Single nomination: Members (or Judges) can vote for at most one movie or studio in the category. Their vote acts as a simple nomination.
  • Multiple nomination: Members (or Judges) can vote for as many different movies or studios in the category as they desire. But each movie or studio can only be voted upon once per category. Their vote acts as a simple nomination.
  • Full rankings: Judges must rank all entries, from best to worst. This is only available in CLOSED competitions and categories.
  • Scoring: Judges must specify a score for all entries. The Competition Manager sets the score range (e.g. 1-5). This is only available in CLOSED competitions and categories.
  • Multiple scoring: Members (or Judges) can specify a score for as many different movies or studios in the category as they desire. But each movie or studio can only be scored once per category. (Note that this is available for OPEN competitions and categories, as well as CLOSED)

Graphical Banners
Competition Managers can create graphics that will be integrated into specific areas of the site, and upload these for display. Banners / buttons will be available in the following places throughout the website:

• Small "ad banner": On the main page, on the right side. Either just above or just below the Editor's Choice.
  • Banner strip: On the Watch and Filmmaker pages, just underneath the main navigation bar.
  • Small button: On each TMU movie or TMU studio page for which voting in a category can take place.

Admins will have the ability to allow or disallow graphical banners for each competition.

Activation and Deadlines
Competitions are considered "dormant" until they are specifically activated by the Competition Manager.

Once active, graphical banners will be on display (if allowed by the Admin), and voting can take place. While active, categories may not be modified. The Competition Manager can deactivate and re-activate their competition if they need to make changes to any categories.

A deadline can be set. This information will be displayed on the competition's profile page. However, the Competition Manager will ultimately be responsible for "closing out" (ie. finishing and permanently deactivating) the competition.

Tallying Results
When ready, the competition manager will click a "Close and Tally Results" link. This will cause the competition to switch to a "Tallying" status, and the vote results will automatically be tallied. At this point, the site will no longer accept any new votes.

How the results are tallied will depend on the voting type for each category:

• For single or multiple nomination, it counts the number of votes.
  • For scoring, it sums the scores.
  • For ranking, it assigns a score to each vote and sums them. (For example, say 5 movies are entered in a category. If a judge ranks a movie as the top choice, that's like giving it a score of 5; if the bottom choice, that's like giving it a score of 1)

Choosing Winners
The competition manager will be presented with a report showing the results for each category. The competition manager then chooses the winner(s) for each category. By default, the site will pick the top result as the winner; but the competition manager may override this if desired (this will be particularly useful for "ranked" voting types, as the scheme described above for auto-tallying may not always come up with the desired winner).

Note that the competition manager can choose any number of winners (or no winners at all), and can rank them. Ties will be accepted.

The competition manager can also provide badge graphics and/or text for each winner. This information will be permanently displayed on the movie or studio's page

Once satisfied, the competition manager declares the winners. The competition is then switched to a "Complete" status.

Closing Competitions
While in "Tallying" or "Complete" mode, a competition is still visible on the site (including its banners), but voting is no longer available. When ready, either the competition manager or an administrator can permanently close a competition.

At this stage, the competition is essentially archived. The winning movies or studios will still have their badge graphics, but all other banners will be removed.

Giving out Prizes
The competition manager can do this them freaking selves! :sailor:

By the way, this is why we were gutted when Riley disappeared....he was the only smart one there...

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#9 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

Movie site: Something "modern" that can stream our movies on a phone, tablet, or (best for me) my TV. Maybe I can finally find a use for my Chromecast!

Ollies: (wrong forum?) Let the masses (the filmmaker himself, or her adoring fans) nominate the films via a convenient button next to the film, but go for a panel when it comes to judging them (I hate public voting. Too easily exploited in the wrong way(s)).

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#10 Nahton

Nahton

MovieStormer

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

I think Rileyman needs to put more thought into his ideas. They are somewhat vague, and by vague I mean, they were so detailed I forgot about half of what I'd read by the time I got to the bottom of the post. So I'm saying "make it so"!

For the movie site how about if we had it coded with some sort of underlying algorithm that rank movies by charts based on genre and one all around category?

It's just something I thought up on my own. :wink:

#11 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'd like a watch later button, such as they have on youtube or vimeo, so i don't lose movies i want to watch.

#12 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

I'd like a watch later button, such as they have on youtube or vimeo, so i don't lose movies i want to watch.

I actually do that alot. ESPECIALLY with long ones.
Posted Image

#13 WX_IVAN

WX_IVAN

Silent but violent

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, that's a great idea. Some people like me tend to make long movies. :4:
12920471_10154801016902699_9026941978120[sig]/[sig]

#14 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

While we're thinking about such things, would play lists suffice? with a default "watch later" play list?

#15 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

Would work for me. It would be nice to minimise the amount of clicking though. The good thing about vimeo's watch later is it's simplicity.

#16 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

This morning I started my day by hopping into the Now Playing! forum, looking to watch some films and leave comments. Here are technical some things I hope a prospective new movie site can improve on:
- Unless I'm missing something, there's currently no way to edit the embed / object tags for your own film, if you embedded it from another site. I think it has to be done -- and done right -- during the initial upload. (Or I'm just a ditz and am completely not seeing it)
- I don't like how small the Description field is when editing movies; and it's not particularly conducive to adding even basic formatting.
- It doesn't seem to allow longer comments -- right now it doesn't even come back with an error message, it just gobbles up your long, carefully typed-out comment and swallows it whole. :angry:
  • kwistufa likes this

Restoring my old website, mod packs, and movies at http://www.riley-man.com/

Trying my hand at MovieStorm, making some really immature parodies on my Totally Over the Top Fake News channel to amuse myself

#17 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

This morning I started my day by hopping into the Now Playing! forum, looking to watch some films and leave comments. Here are technical some things I hope a prospective new movie site can improve on:
- Unless I'm missing something, there's currently no way to edit the embed / object tags for your own film, if you embedded it from another site. I think it has to be done -- and done right -- during the initial upload. (Or I'm just a ditz and am completely not seeing it)
- I don't like how small the Description field is when editing movies; and it's not particularly conducive to adding even basic formatting.
- It doesn't seem to allow longer comments -- right now it doesn't even come back with an error message, it just gobbles up your long, carefully typed-out comment and swallows it whole. :angry:

All good points.

#18 CLIVE RICHARDS

CLIVE RICHARDS

GODDAMMITT!

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

. I'd really like to view the site's movies in comfort, curled up on the sofa with my android tablet..

That's what I'd like to watch.

#19 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm not sure if that last remark was agreeing with wishing for android compatibility or was a bit of a pervy moment. I've got to wish for option a, unless watching shortsighted middle-aged women fighting with technology is a 'thang' now?

#20 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

If its Clive, its pervy. Hehe.
  • kwistufa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users