35 replies to this topic

#21 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

If its Clive, its pervy. Hehe.

I would say the Biz is on the Money here..
Last I knew of Clive having any Female contact was milking his Goat.
  • Johnny Ex likes this

#22 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

As mentioned elsewhere in the past half hour, I've been swinging back and forth between a completely custom TMU movie section script and buying an existing script. Right now I'm pretty sold on buying an existing script. Probably this one. Take a look at it. There's a demo and lots of info on features.

Why am I going this way at the moment, at least tentatively.

Speed and a foundation to build on.

Speed - We can deploy an existing script pretty damn fast. Not instantly, because, of course, we'll still need to do a databse conversion and move a shit-ton of files to do a completely deployment with all existing movies and data, including descriptions, comments, etc. Everything in the movie site now will carry over. See more discussion and detail in this thread, from when I thought I'd have the funds to do all of this two years ago. So it won't be instant-instant, but it will be quick. Let's say 30 days or so, maybe less. Hopefully Nickie Nick (aka Tarison) will still do the database conversion, since he has a lot of it already done, and even if he didn't save it, he can recreate it. I'll be hitting him up about that when we get to the final decision.

A foundation to build on - Yes, I am capable of taking suggestions, and one Riley made in a PM finally sunk in. Get something that already exists, with basic functionality, and build from there. So we can put in a new script for the movie section, get it working pretty quickly, and THEN hire coders to make changes and additions to what needs to be changed and added to. It makes sense. Why I thought otherwise I cannot say, though I am pig-headed and arrogant to an extreme much of the time.

So, the timeline becomes....

June - New server, server move. Everything under one TMUnderground.com umbrella. Forums, movies, TMOA. TMUCloud fully deployed.

July - Probably movie site script. It is, with the forums, TMU's most obvious public face, so it's time to make it shine. Also TMUniversity software install, and starting the ball on that, which will build over the following months. Also chat functionality across the sections, quite possibly using this product - (depending on finances) - get the 100 user package, which should cover us into the foreseeable future.

August - New forum software. IP Board. Easy to convert to from vBulletin, so we lose nothing. Modular, so we can add functionality as we move forward, if needed (based on finances, primarily - get the base board and the blog module and/or content management system modules first, then add more as required).

September - Live component. Probably using this.

September+ - Modifications to the movie site and anything else that needs to be modified.

So that's where we stand for now. Thoughts, suggestions, etc. more than welcome.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#23 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

This sounds like a good plan. Presumably there's a shed load of other communities using the software and the wrinkles are well known already, so that takes out some of the uncertainty, and this should keep the cost down also, saving resources for stuff elsewhere.
Using existing software means we could copy good ideas from other site owners too.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#24 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

I haven't purchased the Viewshark script just yet - I have a couple more questions to ask of them before I pull the trigger, since it's MAYBE the most important aspect of the move, and certainly as important as any other aspect of the TMUniverse.

Look at this overview of the features. Is there anything YOU want answered before I do the purchase? (I'm looking at it mostly from a backend kind of thing, with questions that will impact conversion from Sharemixer to Viewshark, admin stuff, etc. It has the features that I think members need, but my perspective is probably different from the average member)

So take a look at it, and if any questions present themselves about any aspect of it, post them so they can be asked and answered.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#25 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

Im getting a 500 Forbidden error on that link Ken. It might be a work thing but....well, its probably a work thing.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, it's gotta be a work thing - just rechecked and the link works fine.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#27 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

Im taking a look at the demo tonight. Which version should we be looking at? (Template extension, multimedia or basic).

Something I've always wanted was the ability to search for movies by date. So for instance I want to see all the movies that were uploaded June 2012. I dont see this functionality on the demo.

Is it possible to use star rating instead of thumbs up/down?

Can the review length be changed? Current limit is 500 characters.

Damn, thats a fine twerking video I just watched....

#28 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

With Viewshark, it's currently thumbs up/down, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get a star rating system in there. Same with the review length - if it's not configurable in the back, it's probably just something in the php file.

Biggest thing with Viewshark (and biggest issue) is the possibility of having the rename every existing video file to use them in the script. Which make it pretty much a non-starter. Have an email out to them about it. Of course, today I also sent emails to the people behind phpMelody and Mediashare3 (which I'd looked at before Viewshark) - basically inquiring about file system and file naming, so we'll see what they say, since their scripts are very similar to Viewshark.

So after a long day, I took Monk out to dinner at my favorite Thai place (being so flush with money and all), had a couple of Singha's (though in Thailand it's viewed like Fosters is viewed in Australia, I happen to like it - especially the diesel aftertaste), and now I'm going to shoot down some Huns.

Being The Ken can wait till tomorrow.

Edited by kuroken, 20 July 2015 - 01:08 PM.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#29 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Something I've always wanted was the ability to search for movies by date. So for instance I want to see all the movies that were uploaded June 2012. I dont see this functionality on the demo.

Is it possible to use star rating instead of thumbs up/down?

Can the review length be changed? Current limit is 500 characters.

Okay, now that I'm chipper again....

Doesn't look like there's any mechanism to search specifically by date, but you can look at the videos and sort from newest to oldest. It kind of stupidly does it by days (uploaded 83 days ago, for example), but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to change it from that to the actual upload date - which is not quite as good, but at least you could scroll through and till you hit June 2012 and see all of them together. I guess a search by date would also be possible (since it would just have to look at whatever database records held the upload date and pull from that.) I think Riley added to the sorting with Sharemixer, so that kind of functionality is doable. You can also look at all the vids by date (with real dates) in the backend.

Have a question out to them about the star vs. like/dislike thing - and got some good news from them this morning, which will make my life a bit easier during the conversion concerning file names. I may still have to do a batch rename of existing files with a resolution tag (1035.480p.flv instead of 1035.flv), but that at least is easy enough. There was a point when I thought I'd have to rename every file with a random string (7Va8nRa2iDbQ4441.480p.flv instead of 1035.480p.flv) and that was a non-starter, but found out this morning that's not necessary.

Also, this script will play our existing flv files, but moving forward, all of the conversion will be to mp4/webm/ogv, so no more flash and full support for HD and HTML5 video, and newly-added videos will play like a champ on any device, without requiring a flash plugin.

And finally, comment length is set in the backend, so we can make it as long as we need.

Edited by kuroken, 20 July 2015 - 01:09 PM.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#30 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Heard back from Viewshark this morning about my outstanding questions and issues. Still one more question about resolution tags, and if I can just batch rename everything (from a name perspective) to 480p without issue, and once I know that, I'm going to buy the script. Probably later today if they get back to me quickly (I think they're in Turkey or someplace...LOL)

The rating system can be changed, and they'll do the modification (for $75, of course - poppa needs a new pair of shoes - which is fine, cause with our lack of coders, I'd need to hire somebody to do it, and that's a reasonable price in the coding world...)

Here's a question - do we want to stick with the 1-5 star thing, or would we rather go to 1-10 stars? It's our choice, so whatever ya'll think. My own take, as somebody who doesn't really care about the stars, is that 1-10 gives us a more granular way of rating - rather than something being a 3, it could be 5-7. Or am I overthinking the perspective of those who LIKE the stars. (if we go that way, we'll just double the current ratings - 1 becomes 2, 3 becomes 6, 5 becomes 10).

That modification will come after we get installed and running right on the test domain - then I'll have them take a look at the permission module I requested, which will let me make certain users "moderators" for lack of a better term, on the the movie side - so they can do the featured films, approve users and films (if we decided to go that way), that kind of thing. Currently Biz and the missing Dulci (I plan to drop her a note today to let her know that even if she went crazy, slaughtered her whole family, and is now in a maximum security cell in Stateville, there's still a place for her here at TMU) use my login to do what they do or did. I trust both implicitly (or I wouldn't have given them the keys to the kingdom), but moving forward, we might as well have a system that lets us have the same kind of moderation we have on the forums.

But the permissions module is in the future, since it's only a convenience for me.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#31 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Okay, have bought Viewshark. Got the answer to the final question on file renaming, and it's okay (just a case of batch renaming all the files to name.480.flv), though even nicer would have been taking the files as they are. Ahh, well...

As for the star rating, they spoke of perhaps just modifying the existing Sharemixer way of doing it and putting it into their code. Which might make it a little cheaper, but I'm not holding my breath - they are, after all, in bidness. When we get to that point, some ideas about whether we stick to 5 stars or move to 10 will be helpful. I'm sure it's not any more complicated.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#32 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

personally I like the star system rating but I do see your point on add more stars to give a more accurate feel to each movie to. As for adding more stars we dont want the user to be overwhelmed with 10 stars (did a paint to see how it look) but I think keeping around 8 stars might give you the best option the matter. One it gives the user enough stars where not overwhelming and you could base rating on 2 star okay 4 star good 6 star better and 8 star best.

tell me your thoughts.

#33 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

personally I like the star system rating but I do see your point on add more stars to give a more accurate feel to each movie to. As for adding more stars we dont want the user to be overwhelmed with 10 stars (did a paint to see how it look) but I think keeping around 8 stars might give you the best option the matter. One it gives the user enough stars where not overwhelming and you could base rating on 2 star okay 4 star good 6 star better and 8 star best.

tell me your thoughts.

8 makes it difficult to translate the 7000 older movies with a 5 star rating (where 1=2, 2=4, 3=6, 4 =8, 5=10) and 8 is odd in that it is nonstandard (never seen an 8 star ratings system).

I think you hit upon an issue though in the "overwhelmingness" of a ten star rating system. Im a fan of the 5 star system. Simple to use, standardized and easy on the eyes.

#34 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

Okay, then we'll stick with five stars - those that like stars are comfortable with it, and familiar with it, so why fix what ain't broken.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#35 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Might not actually be possible but is there any way we'd be able to have just next to the stars a figure that shows us exactly what the average rating given was, to the nearest 0.01? (say as an example, having the 5 star graphic and then in brackets next to it: Average X.XX, based on X ratings)?

I feel like that would be a good way of more accurately judging what an audience thought of a film without the visual bombardment of a 10 star ratings system. I think at the moment (and as long as TMU has existed tbh) almost every film released ends up with 5 stars so it makes it a bit meaningless if we can't use the ratings to see what our audience responds best to.

That's the only aspect to me where the old TMO site trumps TMU... :innocent:
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#36 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

Might not actually be possible but is there any way we'd be able to have just next to the stars a figure that shows us exactly what the average rating given was, to the nearest 0.01? (say as an example, having the 5 star graphic and then in brackets next to it: Average X.XX, based on X ratings)?

I feel like that would be a good way of more accurately judging what an audience thought of a film without the visual bombardment of a 10 star ratings system. I think at the moment (and as long as TMU has existed tbh) almost every film released ends up with 5 stars so it makes it a bit meaningless if we can't use the ratings to see what our audience responds best to.

That's the only aspect to me where the old TMO site trumps TMU... :innocent:

Am fairly sure, in my half drunken state, that it's do-able. The input is a number (1-5) stored in the database, so how hard could it be to add up the total number and divide it by the number of ratings.

I'm not gonna mess with that here in the waning days of Sharemixer, but when we have them do the rating thing for Viewshark, I'll just include that as one of the features we want.

And your "meaningless" comment is why I would just as soon see the stars go away. Here, the comments are king and the star rating relatively meaningless, as you said. Of course, TMO had charts, which a lot of people aspired to be on - now, as we move forward, if we include charts......:thumbup1:

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users