Photo
- - - - -

Need help: How to install The Movies and S & E on Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rposhard

rposhard

I am the Wogglebug (choo choo ka-choo)

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Am I just S.O.L. or is there a way to do this? Neither Activision nor Lionhead are offering support for these games anymore.:taz:

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

What problems are you having (hopefully contacting lionhead was not step 1)? Try searching the forums as several users have faced similar issues.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

I haven't tried it on Windows 8 but I have on Windows 7.. firstly DON'T autorun the disc, access its archive instead by right clicking your disc drive and you should have all the files in front of you.. right click Setup and click Run as Administrator. That should work.. if not I'm out of ideas haha
  • rposhard likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#4 rposhard

rposhard

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

You are indeed sir, you are indeed. Many thanks for your calm and professional advice.

#5 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Haha no probs RPO, glad you were able to get it sorted!

#6 rposhard

rposhard

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Of course now the S & E disk is stuck in my drive. I hate my life....:34:

#7 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

I had an anxious moment on my W7 install when I heard the disc rattle as the drive case closed, but thankfully it settled right. Just shows how quickly we get unfamiliar with tech.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#8 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

If you can't get the disk out, shut-down the computer and at the last moment hit the eject button on your cd/dvd drive. That usually gets the job done. You can also do that on start-up if you miss it on shut-down.

I had to install the game on my wife's laptop on Win7 64. It would not let me install no matter what i did...so I simply opened Explorer, created a shortcut for the setup file on the desktop and ran it from there with admin privileges, keeping the disc in the drive, It installed flawlessly. Same with S&E. Strange and not really that unexpected, I have to run the game with admin read/write privileges. I think its because it does create a lot of folders all over the drive and some sections are in system folders. I also still modd for it so I do create a lot of content from apps that have to run in admin/god/overlord/I'm the master and you do what I want Bitch!!! mode...(yeah Win7 is f**ing paranoid) to get anything saved in the game folder. I can only suppose Win8.1 will be just as admin centric and because the game tech is rather old, there will be more and more unsupported system features. I'm not even sure if it supports DirectX9 that well, let alone the .Net Frame work. My modding tools are so-so running. I get crashes from time to time due to incompatibility issues...I'm not looking forward to Win10....:sweatdrop::49:

#9 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Heh the things we have to do now just to install old software...

When I first tried to install The Movies on my current computer (Windows 8.1), the CD drive absolutely freaked out. It spun up and wouldn't stop, whirring and screeching for several minutes. After a clean reboot and using the Run as Admin, it all went fine.

Definitely not looking forward to future versions of Windows. :tt2:

Restoring my old website, mod packs, and movies at http://www.riley-man.com/

Trying my hand at MovieStorm, making some really immature parodies on my Totally Over the Top Fake News channel to amuse myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users