• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

I've been thinking about single sign-on...which is where you will sign into the TMUniverse once and you're signed in across the board - forums, movie site, cloud storage, TMUniversity, whatever.....

This is obviously something that we want to do. One account, one password, all the sites. And it's very doable, especially since we're almost certainly going to move the forums to IP Boards from vBulletin in July or August, and it strongly supports SSO and your robust forum account settings is probably going to be the best place to base everything on.

I think it will be especially good for those movie site members who don't necessarily use the forums - SSO will almost force them to the forums, at least for their profiles and account settings. They won't have to participate in the forums, but they will at least be exposed to them.

My question is this - we have many, many more movie site users than forum users (speaking in terms of accounts) - many never made forum accounts, and just use the movie site to host their films. Do we want to give them all forum accounts? In the past, I've allowed people banned from the forums to keep and use their movie site accounts, because their inability to play well with others doesn't mean they're not creative and worthy of displaying their works. That's true now, and will probably be true in the future. They're free to share movies, but we don't want them tracking dirt into the house.

But...using SSO means if they get banned in one place, they get banned in all places (and by the way, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people we've had to ban from the forums). Do we want that? Is that an issue? Banning is always the last resort, not something I take lightly. But I do wonder if a draconian across-the-sites ban is something we want to have here.

Thoughts?

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

Your previous arrangement was very generous, I didn't realise. It would be a shame to lose that, but it wouldn't be unreasonable.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#3 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

To be honest, I really think things would be better with one account for all. Aside from just generally being more convenient and "tidy", I feel like it might encourage members who were previously only on the movie site to come forward and engage with the filmic collective a bit more on the forums, and banning has never been a huge issue here over the years (nowhere near the same problem it was on the Lionhead forums) so I say go for it. People should know what happens when they act like douchebags anyway.
  • Johnny Ex likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#4 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

Im with Mac, one sign in, is a good idea.
And if they get banned on the forums, fuck em all the way around the horn, as ya havta be a special historic kind of ahole to get banned.
Long live the U.
Posted Image

#5 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

Yep, one sign in would be awesome. I completely agree with Mac and Johnny.
  • Johnny Ex likes this
“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

Since rust never sleeps, even on Sundays, I've been giving some more thought to the SSO solution for TMUnderground.

It may be easy - have somebody write a php program and use the new IP Boards forum software as the "master" and everything else requiring sign-in - movies.tmunderground.com, cloud.tmunderground.com, radio.tmunderground.com (if signup is required for some reason), tmuniversity.tmunderground.com (may have to put TMUniversity in a subdomain using this solution rather than at tmuniversity.com), etc. as "slave" sites. If something doesn't need login (probably radio, probably live), it'll just ignore it. Also the hosted chat module will probably need to be tied into the SSO ecosystem.

There are other SSO solutions, and I'll explore those as well after the move and after the movie site is moved to Viewshark and working properly.

I'm still thinking that the forum registration will be at the heart of it all - the master account, so to speak. Which may mean going through the user database on Viewshark after the move and perhaps getting rid of any accounts that haven't uploaded a movie. Or maybe not. I can I guess imagine that there are community members that haven't uploaded anything, but still login to leave comments.

My goal is to more easily encourage everyone on the movie side to participate in the forum as well, and make it easy for them. Moving forward, I hope to use the IP Boards API to even better connect the movie subdomain with the forum subdomain.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

No doubt one would be tempted to see their OWN buzz at the forums, if they are only movie side.
"Top trending movie", discussed on the foums...Whatever, by Whoever...Theres no way in hell you wouldnt wana chime in on ya own movie...Impossible.
Revolutionary idea, Ken.
Posted Image

#8 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

While waiting for a callback from the dacast guy about the live streaming, I've been giving some thought to the single sign-on thing.

I've got an old friend from my mudding days taking a look at the IPS Connect functionality built into IP Board that SEEMS to me (non-coder) like something that will let us set up an SSO system. Strife (aka Willie) is a computer science grad, and though a lot of his experience is in Linux, he's also proficient in php, Perl, etc. etc. - whether his proficiency extends to what we need is still up in the air - he's going to look over the stuff I sent to him that talks about how to implement it, and we'll see.

If he can't do it, I can hire a codemonkey.

Either way, the idea we've talked about remains the same - your forum account is what all your other logins are built around. Chat right now works fine if you use the chat link in the nav bar. If you use the one on the PC listen page on the radio tab, you have to type in your credentials - still uses your forum credentials, but you don't autologin.

I do not know exactly what will happen if the chat embed is on a different subdomain within the TMUniverse. Later today, I might copy the listen page over to radio.tmunderground.com, and see if I can still log into the chat from there. Ultimately, the goal is autologin from everywhere, no matter where you are.

One of the reasons this is on my mind is the live streaming view page. It'll probably be on live.tmunderground.com, and consist of two things - the video player where the live streaming will go, and an embedded chat box. I can put a tab with a link to that page in the navigation bar, but the way we have it with the radio player (you listen to the stream, then click the chat tab and autologin to the chat) works fine for audio, but won't work for the live video. You want to have both chatroom and video in front of you.

I also have to figure out why in the holy hell the embedded chat jumps to full screen on a mobile device, rather than an embedded chat box. Again, unacceptable on a page where you want to see the video and the chat.

Also, getting some kind of SSO setup will let us be more flexible with our chat, and even switch to something a little less spammy (all the facebook, twitter, etc. links to like and follow 123flashchat that I can't get rid of irritate me - I'm paying for it, so I see now reason to send traffic your way). I really liked addonchat, and I think it came in second in the poll - nice, clean HTML5 chat, but recently released so they haven't put together the IP Board integration - though it is coming. If we can do our own SSO, maybe we don't have to wait for them to create the integration.

I ultimately want to include the movie site under the SSO umbrella and, as I said, make everyone uploading to the movie site have a forum account, whether they use it or not. The transition may be ugly, and I don't doubt we may lose a couple of people in the process. But as long as forum participation is optional (the forum basically being where all your user account stuff is stored - beyond that, use it or don't as you wish), it shouldn't be too bloody.

So that's where we are on this right now - hopefully Strife can make sense of what I sent him, and start playing with it. More news as it becomes available....

Edit: And the chat does work on the radio.tmunderground.com page - still have to login with forum username/pw, but it works. See it here if you don't believe me - http://radio.tmunder...tmoa-radio.html

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users