• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Okay, here's how I'm seeing the timetable, based on what I know now...

Move: Within the week, possibly sooner than later. I don't know exactly how challenging it will be for them, or what kind of problems they might run into, but that should be enough time.

New forum software: A day or so after the move. Enough time to make sure things are all working right in the new forums.tmunderground.com subdomain before we do our damnedest to break it by changing forum software.

New movie site software - we install the new movie site software on either an IP or one of my unused domains for development in days after the move. Still waiting for answers to a couple of questions before I buy it, and I'm also keeping my eyes open to go with another package if the answers I get displease me. Played with one today, and it was okay, but not quite what we need. I'm still focused on Viewshark, but only if the switch will burn me with cigarette butts and NOT shove a white hot poker up my ass.

August - while all of the above is in progress, I'll start playing with the live component and figuring out how I can make it accessible from a broadcasting perspective to those interested - I don't want to be the only guy who runs the projector every time we have a live event. Also August, at the latest, will see the new chat solution - there will be embedded chat frames, for lack of a better term, on every page - the forums, the movie site, the live site, the radio site - all of them feeding from the same trough - so no matter where you are in the TMUniverse, you can see and participate in the sitewide chat.

Beyond - Once everything else is running, and there's no major issues (I'm sure minor issues will plague us for a little while), I'll start thinking about the whole TMUniversity/Moodle thing, and my ultimate goal of single-sign-on (discussed elsewhere) for all the modules of the TMUniverse.

Those are my thoughts at the moment. Questions, comments, etc. just spill them out here.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

(thought I'd use this thread for move updates - I mean, why make ANOTHER friggin' thread when this one is perfectly good, and nearly empty - also, the additional stuff that's moving, and when, is probably of less interest to the community at large...)

The radio broadcasting server has been moved to radio.tmunderground.com. You can access the user part of the software at http://radio.tmunder.../start/tmoa_96/ - I'll be streaming for another eight hours or so to give it a workout, just music, so if you get a chance, check it from your location, etc. - request widget isn't working, and I've moved on from this for the moment, but I imagine it's a setting (or there may be no mail server connected yet) and I'll revisit it later.

In time, I'll rework the page to include the upcoming TMUniverse-wide chat on the page - I kind of like the functionality of it, and since it's built into the broadcasting software, it hooks in nicely with the server.

In progress right now, as we (okay, I) speak, is the Owncloud installation, which will be going to cloud.tmunderground.com - after it's in and working, on the to-do list is TMU branding so it looks more like the rest of the site - also a software update, plus maybe some additional apps for it, since development on those continue.

Not sure with the new domain links here in the forums will work, or if they'll work, but I figure a redirect will work for the time being.

And that's where we're at right now. I have a couple of things to finish, then off to get my car serviced. If that doesn't take TOO long, I may get Viewshark installed today (see some other thread....you'll figure it out...)

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#3 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

I got nothing from the player. Says its playing but nada. Likely on my end I guess (though I would like to hear from someone else that its working). Also I was unable to request a song by the poops. Bummer. Just saw your notes on the request mech.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

Movie Site isnt popping up right now. Men at work again I presume.

#5 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

I'm guessing it's on your end, with the restrictions that your work puts in. I'm using it, and it's been streaming now for hours.

I am some issues with the movies side - they had to upgrade the version of PHP on the server it shares with Owncloud, to match Owncloud's requirements, and the cloud stuff seems to be working fine. But in Chrome, which I normally use, when I go to movies.tmunderground.com, I'm getting a blank page.

Internet Explorer brings the site up fine. I've flushed the Chrome cache, etc. still with no luck. Have advised them of the problem, but I have to believe it has something to do with the PHP update. Hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it fairly soon.

Otherwise, got my car serviced and I'm sitting here eating cold pizza and deciding if I want to install Viewshark or wait till tomorrow.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Movie Site isnt popping up right now. Men at work again I presume.

What browser?

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

Chrome. Ah yes, just saw the message below. Im going to test the audio player at home but Im pretty sure I had problems with that player from home as well last time you broadcast the show using that player...

#8 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Okay, yeah, it looks like a Chrome specific thing, and not even every version, since they checked with Chrome and it's working for them, and Chrome on my tablet works as well.

So we'll standby while we wait for them to figger it out.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#9 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

In Chrome the movie site works but in firefox (which I use it shows a blank page)
  • kwistufa likes this

#10 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, Zeke - the more info, the better. It's gotta be connected to the PHP update so Owncloud could live on the same server (the one with almost 4 terrabytes of storage).

So we'll just hang loose and let them do their thing.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#11 Carver

Carver

Pusher Man

• Moderators
  • 477 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Radio works fine for me, web audio player that is.

I'm in the same boat with the movie site giving me a blank page on Chrome but IE brings it up fine.

#12 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, which they've probably already discovered (it was 15 minutes ago that Lijeesh told me he was updating Chrome and nothing since - my guess is if it was "user error" he would have already let me know.)

Thanks for the report on the web player - it's probable that it's at least, currently for him, being on his work machine - they're notoriously locked down. I had to use proxy servers, unbeknownst to the IT guys, to get things I wanted to run on my work machine.

But with this issue, I think installing Viewshark will have to wait till tomorrow morning. I don't want to throw it into the mix, have problems, and not know if the problem is with the install or the existing problem.

And since I've been up since 5:45 this morning, I'm afraid I'll be less frosty by the time it's fixed. I can already feel myself melting....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#13 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

Think we have the answer.

It's got nothing to do with Chrome. It has to do with the login script. If everyone is like me, they have themselves set to autologin. You go to the site, you're logged in. That's done through a cookie.

When I deleted my Chrome cookies, site came up fine (and I'm sure we'll fix it, so don't put yourself through the annoyance of doing it, and losing your cookies, so to speak, on all your saved sites). When I attempted to login, got a white screen. When I attempted to login in IE (which I don't use), I had no cookies, so had to manually enter it. 500 Internal Server Error.

So now it's just a case of figuring out why it's happening, and make the proper adjustments. Which they are assuredly working on right now.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#14 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

Okay, the login thing is fixed and you can almost certainly get in, with cookies or manually (I've done it both ways).

Movies play. At this point, you cannot upload a film (it uploads fine, but when it's done it says "The requested URL /cgi-bin/uu_upload.pl was not found on this server." and poof, it's like it never happened.

So I've reported it and expect a fix soon.

Addendum: There's a missing file in a directory (maybe that's why folks were having problems uploading directly in the past - that server had bounced to a few locations, and a file might have gotten overlooked). Anyway, I had a "clean" copy of the directory from the final Sharemixer update and sent it on to them. So perhaps the problem with uploading will be fixed.

Addendum 2: The upload problem is fixed, and as a bonus, the upload indicator is back. But it's not encoding the uploaded video. So I've passed that along, and expect it to be fixed in the fullness of time. Step forward, step back. It's the TMU line dance....

Edited by kuroken, 22 July 2015 - 08:40 PM.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#15 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:14 AM

At this point, as I get ready to hit the sack, I'm just waiting on Subhosting to get the encoding fixed on the movie site before I install Viewshark. I need for things to be working right on that server before I install, so if I run into problems, it'll be easier to troubleshoot what's causing them.

My uneducated guess is that the move to the newer PHP has had some effect on the scripts that call the encoder (ffmpeg or mencoder - think we're currently using ffmpeg). Or it's possible, I guess, that Sharemixer was written for a 32-bit operating system and we're now on a 64-bit install of CentOS, the Linux operating system on the servers, and that's screwing with the encoding.

Either way, I'm hoping that when I get up at the crack of dawn, I'll have an email from them indicating that it's fixed - their main tech staff is in Croatia or somewhere in that general vicinity, so they're about 8 hours ahead of me. When we discovered the encoding problem, it was around midnight their time, and probably time to call it a day.

Since the guys who developed Sharemixer are on staff, I'm pretty sure they'll come up with a solution, even if it means writing some of the code to make it work. When that's done, it's on to Viewshark. If the stars are properly aligned, you'll be able to play with it tomorrow afternoon.

And I can move on to the next issue...

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#16 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

Right-e-o.....

Been up two hours, and have spent that time looking at the vBulletin to IP Board conversion, and how we're going to do it, as well as sending some questions to Subhosting about that and some other stuff.

First, the encoding issue on the movie site is with the Sharemixer developer - hopefully will have an answer and a fix soon (can't be THAT big a problem).

Once that's done, and all is well with our existing services, I'm looking at installing Viewshark on beta.movies.tmunderground.com - would like to get that done today or tomorrow at the latest, so everyone will have some time to play with it starting this weekend. Like I said, it will be unmodified and vanilla, just out of the box, but that'll at least let us know how it works, what it can do, and what we're going to want to change when development begins (after Tarison completes the database conversion and we blow the database into the install)

At this point, I'm looking to do the forum conversion early next week, which will give me a chance to look at the final suggestions about the forum layout. Waiting on a reply from IP Boards support to make sure I can do it the way I want to. My hope is to do the install on beta.forum.tmunderground.com (as we're doing with the new movie software), then run the conversion routine. In this way, there will be limited or no downtime on the existing forums, and everyone will have a chance to test the converted forum install. Once we're happy that everything is working as intended, we'll wipe vBulletin and replace it with IP Boards, and life will go on in a shiny new forum home.

Everything we're doing is hopefully going to cause minimal disruption to the community. That's the goal, at least.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#17 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

Okay, encoding problem is still with the developers. I anticipate a resolution fairly soon, since they wrote Sharemixer.

Have gone into the control panel for beta.movies.tmunderground.com, so it shouldn't take long to set things up and install Viewshark there once the encoding issue is resolved. Install itself won't take more than 15-30 minutes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get the encoding fixed and I can install Viewshark, let you all play with it, and cross that off my list.

Further research into the vBulletin > IP Boards conversion tells me (unless their support has an easier way) that I'll need to copy the complete existing forum install to the new beta subdomain, copy the database to the beta subdomain, then install IP Boards and do the conversion, leaving the production forum as is until the conversion is complete. So here at forum.tmunderground.com, things will hum along until, in the blink of an eye, vBulletin is replaced by IP Boards (which you'll all be familiar with, having played with it before the switch).

One other thing is an SSL certificate - the thing that differentiates http: from https:. You might have noticed that some sites give you a browser warning if you go to an https site that doesn't have a certificate, like tmunderground.com doesn't. This is very obvious on cloud.tmunderground.com. It's perfectly safe, and nothing to freak out about (as most of you have probably already figured out), but moving forward, as we get new people, I'd like to eliminate any warnings that make TMU seem "sketchy".

Best price I found on a wildcard SSL (that would provide a cert for tmunderground.com and all subdomains) was $85/year, but Subhosting has a partnership that will get us one for $79. Only 6 bucks, but $6 is $6. Two house ales!

And that's where we are at the moment. More news as it becomes available.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#18 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:37 AM

Last update of the day:

Sharemixer developers are still trying to figure out why the script isn't encoding. It almost certainly has something to do with the switch from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 - a lot changed between the two, and some functions were, as they say, depreciated. Removed. PHP scripts that run them don't work. And since Sharemixer, like Viewshark that we're moving to, is written in PHP for the most part, it may be that they have to figure out what functions are gone and how to recreate them.

And speaking of Viewshark, have an email out to them, asking if it'll run on PHP 5.5. They may have already made allowances for newer versions of PHP, being in active development (guy said next version is coming in 3-4 months). Sharemixer was written around the time TMU started, 7 years ago, and stopped development by the end of 2008..

IF Viewshark is going to have problems as well, Owncloud (which is why we updated the second server to PHP 5.5) may have to go and we'll have to replace it with another cloud storage solution - I'm still wanting that as a community feature, because I think it makes a lot of sense for a community like ours. There are a couple of other solutions with similar features, though not the apps that Owncloud has. That's what attracted me to it, but in the end, if it's cloud storage, we don't need music and video players, or calendars, or chat apps - we have or will have them on other parts of TMU. If we want cloud storage, then cloud storage should be the overwhelming focus.

So that's where we are at 10:31 pm Central time. I should have some answers when I get up in the morning, and will pass them along.

(And btw, I could just keep all these details to myself, since most of you have limited interest in them. But I keep everyone in the loop about what's going on because I want everyone to know that we are moving forward, that there were always going to be some issues in a move this complex, and that we're dealing with them, one at a time. The day will come, in the not too distant future, when we'll reach a point where the issues are gone and everything is working.

I, for one, certainly can't wait for that....this gives me, as the Italians say, agita.)

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#19 Carver

Carver

Pusher Man

• Moderators
  • 477 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

There always seems to be one more hurdle before the finish line.

Loads of information for one day. Thanks for keeping us updated!

#20 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

Good news, bad news and no news in these early Friday hours...

Good news is that Viewshark will run just fine on PHP 5.5, so no need to ditch owncloud or downgrade the PHP version on the server.

Of course, with that in mind, I figured I'd go ahead and try an install while I waited for them to fix Sharemixer's encoding problem. First thing - ftp isn't working properly. I can connect, but it hangs waiting for the welcome message, so couldn't get the Viewshark install files up there that way.

Being clever, I use the control panel file manager on beta.movies.tmunderground.com, upload the Viewshark zip, extract it, move files to the right place, and move on.

Then after editing files that needed it, I go to start the install process through a browser...and it can't connect to the database I've created, though I know everything is right. So I'm stuck waiting for subhosting to fix ftp and MySQL on the beta.movies subdomain so I can finish the install and let you all start testing it.

Also heard back from IP Boards, and it shouldn't be too damn hard to get that installed and converted (still need to make the beta.forum.tmunderground.com domain to work in). Will be some work, certainly, but nothing insurmountable - only real annoyance is that they don't have a vBulletin > IP Board 4.x install tool, so I've have to install IP Board 3.4.8, do the conversion, then upgrade to 4.0.11. It's an extra step, but by then Viewshark should be up and in "play with me" mode till we start development, everything else should be working, and I can devote all of my attention to the forum switch. I'm still planning to do that on Monday 27 July (unless I'm really bored with no fires to put out elsewhere over the weekend, and the thought of actually relaxing becomes repugnant to me...)

And the no news, as I said, is that encoding on Sharemixer is still with the developers. I'd like it to be fixed soonest, of course, but uploading to TMU has been spooged, in one way or another, for a while, and most people just embed for now. (It will be interesting to see what percentage embed vs. upload is once Viewshark becomes the operational movie solution at TMU).

And that's it for me, at least for now. Gonna drink a second cup of coffee and nose around the beta.movies.tmunderground.com subdomain and see what I can see.
  • kwistufa likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users