• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

The Sharemixer install is being moved to server 1, because there's too much code that requires PHP 5.3. So they're downgrading Server 1 from PHP 5.4 to 5.3, and moving it there. Maybe a tiny bit of downtime, but probably not much, if any. Then I'll give it a check to make sure it's encoding.

On the Viewshark install - things are in motion. Stay tuned to this space for news, hopefully VERY soon.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#22 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Best price I found on a wildcard SSL (that would provide a cert for tmunderground.com and all subdomains) was $85/year, but Subhosting has a partnership that will get us one for $79. Only 6 bucks, but $6 is $6. Two house ales!

Damn! Alabamy hooch is cheep!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Damn! Alabamy hooch is cheep!

Usually not so much, but at the place Monk and I went the other night, I was, as Roger would say, gobsmacked at the $3 house ale. It wasn't the finest damn ale I've ever guzzled, but it was certainly drinkable.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#24 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

As you can see, there's a new forum. It's temporary, and will disappear once all the new stuff is in production, and the posts can be folded into existing comment/issues threads.

It's called The Future is NOW. And it is.

Viewshark is live at beta.movies.tmunderground.com.

I've been working on this for the past 9 hours, going back and forth between Subhosting and Viewshark, to get it running right. And now it is.

You WILL have to make a new login for it. And as mentioned elsewhere, everything you do will be gone when we blow the existing database and files in. This install is just for testing and figuring out how we want to build on it. And since I don't have email verification on at the moment, please use the name I probably know you as. Because spammers will quickly become a problem, and I will be ruthless with them until we have protections in place.

Do whatever you want. Upload movies, video, documents, pictures. Make channels. Click every damn thing you can. If something doesn't seem to work, report it in the NOW thread, so I can take a look.

The only outstanding issue I'm aware of is that I couldn't upload a 400 meg file, though Viewshark support could. Not sure what's going on, but have Subhosting checking the server error logs for information, and then a fix. Probably just some server setting.

Embeds work, music works, haven't tried docs or pictures, but I'm guess they work - give it a try.

And now I'm done for the day. Going to play with it a bit myself, then go out, have some beers, and relax.

This has been a LONG time coming, folks, and it's finally begun. With more to come.

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#25 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

can you get my username in ken. i registered earlier today and still cant login.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

Got me too late, biz - I was already deep into a couple of Monkeynauts and a burger.

Apparently account approval WAS on - you and Johnny signed up, and got stuck in the approval queue - that's taken care of, and I've turned approval off. So you and anyone else can go in and plaaaaaay.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#27 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

Okay, movie site has been moved to server 1, as I mentioned was going to happen (I'm awake but not THAT awake, and don't feel like looking for the post.)

It still ain't encoding, but that's something I'll work out with subhosting/sharemixer today - at least they'll know that it's not the PHP version that's causing it. Otherwise, it seems to be working fine.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#28 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

Forum switch:

Here's the deal (may have mentioned it elsewhere, but I'll mention it again...) - I have to install IPBoard version 3, run the conversion utility to convert this forum to IPB ver. 3 - that may take at least two hours according to IPBoard.

Then I have to fix any problems that came up in the conversion - things that didn't convert, broken links, whatever.

Then I have to upgrade IPB ver. 3 to ver. 4, which may bring in a whole new set of problems that need to be addressed, as upgrades often do.

Then FINALLY we can move that over to forum.tmunderground.com - of course, during all of this, the existing forum would have to be in maintenance mode, to keep new posts, etc. from being added to the database. If everything goes without ANY issues, call it 4 hours or so. With issues, who knows. A day? Two days?

That's kind of unacceptable to me, especially since we're still debugging and making suggestions about Viewshark, dealing with the new capability in Owncloud I just added, and whatever else comes up in addition to regular forum chatter on non-move subjects.

My thought, and I have this out to subhosting for consideration, is simpler. I put the forum in maintenance mode. I do the upgrade to IPBoard ver. 3 - IF IT IS FUNCTIONAL, we move over there immediately, with a redirect, and leave vBulletin behind. There may be things that don't work right, or things that didn't convert right, but I can work on those if the IPB install is functional - people can post, send PMs, that kind of thing.

Once I've got ver 3 working at 100%, we do the upgrade to ver 4 in-place. Maybe it goes on maintenance for half an hour or so. Once the upgrade is complete, I open it back up IF IT IS FUNCTIONAL and we continue using it while I fix whatever might have broken in the upgrade.

When that's all done, when IPBoard is ready for it's closeup, we wipe vBulletin, move IPBoard to forum.tmunderground.com, and the conversion from one forum software to the other is complete and we're an IPBoard community.

And if EVERYTHING blows up on the IPBoard domain, we can still return to vBulletin - may lose a few posts done since the conversion began, but at least we have a working forum, while I wipe the beta.forum.tmunderground.com domain and start again.

We'll see what happens and what subhosting thinks of that plan. How does it sound to everyone here?

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#29 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

Okay, the new movie site is working, for the most part (there's a problem with email verification, and I've got a support email out to Viewshark, but I can work around it manually for now, and a couple of other niggling things, but it's pretty much working as intended). Am consolidating all of the feature requests received so far, and always open to more. Then I'll prioritize them, and have coders in faraway lands begin working on it. Waiting to hear back from Tarison on the database conversion and an estimated completion date.

Which means it's time to start work on the new forums.

I have a cancer doctor appointment in the morning, and hopefully everything will be fine - if not, I'll be typing through my tears in the afternoon. But be that as it may....

I really want to get rolling on the new forum software. Install it. Do the conversion. Move everyone there. Upgrade it. Fix things, and then make it our new permanent forum software. With that in mind, I'm going to make a quick sweep through the additional suggestions for culling the forums, but unless something REALLY jumps out at me, I'm going to freeze the current forum tree until after the move.

My thinking is that none of us knows what OUR forum will look like in IPBoards until it's IN IPBoards. That's what new people will see (if we're thinking about not frightening them away with our chaotic world), so let's give it a look, and then make changes as needed.

There's a strong probability that everything will not be working properly when we make the jump to IPBoards. It will be a process. But unless I totally screw the pooch on the install and conversion, it will almost certainly be functional - you'll be able to login, read and post messages, send PMs, etc. Blogs should work (but may not initially, or they may be fine from the gitgo). Some other stuff may or may not work. Myself and staff will have to familiarize ourselves with a new admin panel.

It may be a rough day or two, though I'm committed to making it, at the very least, functional while we fix what's broken. That includes what may break when we upgrade from IPBoard 3.x to 4.x. I'm sure no lives will be lost.

After that, sitewide chat. Same chatroom on the movie site, the forums, everywhere in the TMUniverse. Participate wherever you are and whatever you're doing, on the web or on your mobile device. That'll just take a little web coding on my part, which will hopefully be within my stone age era HTML skills. What do you mean I can't have animated gifs and flashing text?

By mid-month, I'd like to have the live thing in place - basically a page with a large video player and one of the soon-to-be-ubiquitous chat room blocks or whatever. We'll want to do some testing with that before we have our first community live event, and I'm a testing kinda guy.

Ooops, went beyond the week ahead. So maybe forum move and chat in the coming week. At the very least the forum move.

And now to bed.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#30 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

Update for 5 August 2015

Chat is working (use the chat button at the top of the forum pages). Most everything is working on the new forum software. Still waiting to hear from Tarison on the progress with the movie site database conversion to Viewshark. Viewshark is working - needs modification, etc. but in terms of functionality, problems are few.

I had hoped to make today a Ken Day, where I wouldn't have to mess with anything for 24 hours, but I got involved with deploying the chat and...well, you know how that goes. Still have a couple of things I need clarification with chat, and will send out some support tickets on them.

I'm now hoping to make TOMORROW a Ken Day, so I can at least rewatch Lawrence of Arabia and catch up on the Sunday shows I haven't gotten to yet. The only thing I'd really like to do is deploy the chat to the Viewshark site, and see how it works - am especially interested in making sure that people on that site and people on the forums are all in the same chatroom and happily chatting. That will mean that sitewide chat is a reality, and as we add new things, we'll deploy chat along with them.

Moving forward, I'd like to do a little work on the radio listening page - I got the geo-location thing fixed on that, so it will show the general (usually within a few miles) location of anybody listening to the stream. If I can successfully deploy chat there as well, we'll be done with separate tools to listen and a separate chat app. And everybody will be able to be part of the chat, whether they're listening or not (you'll still have the option of using winamp or your phone or whatever you like to listen to TMOA broadcasts - this is just something if you don't want to mess with all of that).

After that, it's on to the live broadcasting page - basically a video player window and a chat box (the same chat as elsewhere). Then we'll play with it, and test it, and do some impromptu events leading up to official events after the movie site is converted, spruced up, and deployed in place of the Sharemixer site.

And that's what I got right now. Things may change, but probably not too much.

We continue to endeavor to persevere.... 

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#31 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

My to-do list for today:

Have spent the morning so far with research and support tickets (while I burn the entire frigging 4th season of Once Upon a Time to DVD for the apartment managers sister in law, who just got out of the hospital for brain tumor removal - I do this because it helps at lease renewal time as well as with maintenance and other stuff - I'm a step closer to having them cut a door from my living room into the garage so I can get in and out without going into the fresh air...or as Monk says, allowing me to turn on the car, open the door between living room and garage, and sit in a comfortable chair waiting to die from carbon monoxide poisoning - much nicer than sitting in the car...)

Primary question is to Parachat - because of the nature of the community, with everything on it's own subdomain, I want to make sure it will be easy to hit the forum database for chat authentication from movies.tmunderground.com (or the beta site for now), radio.tmunderground.com, etc. before I deploy. Any of the problems will go away when we move to single-sign on, but for now, I'd like chat to at least be single sign on, and not force people to register an account to get in (as long as they're community members, of course)

I'd also like the Who's Chatting thing that's supposed to show up on the forum home page to actually show up. Popping in to see if anyone is there is sad and lonely work. I think it may have something to do with the fact I didn't install the IPBoard Chat thing (I get a 5 free chatters account with purchase of the forum software - didn't bite, or expand it because I couldn't deploy it on the other sites) - I think perhaps I will have to install it, to get the hooks in, then disable it. That might do it, and I've got that question to Parachat as well.

Once I have answers, I'll deploy the chat to the movie site and see how it works. Then I want to play some with the radio listen page, see if I can get a chat box into the mix.

That should do it for today, and I'll start as soon as I get some answers from Parachat.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#32 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Double posting, since you're not really notified of new information added through edits. And most of you can drop to your knees and thank whatever diety you might worship that you don't have to be bothered with all this shit. That's why they pay me the big bucks...

Still going back and forth with Parachat - it looks like it MAY be necessary to login to chat on the movie site and elsewhere with your FORUM username and password, since we'll still be authenticating against the forum user list.

Also have an answer for the "Who's Chatting" thing, and may play with that in a bit (still haven't had my shower - hashtag grungy). It'll take a little template modification, and I may have to do it for each theme, but it won't be that hard. I hope. If I announce I'm headed for Black Market or Buck Mulligans, you'll know it WAS that hard....

Have sent off the list of mods, questions, and issues to Viewshark. Here's what I sent them - if I missed something, sing out.

So first, questions –

Our ultimate goal is to set up single sign on for all parts of the community, probably using the IP Board database for authentication. Is there any way, through coding or whatever, to get Viewshark to look at THAT database for authentication? It may be problematic, since we have many members of the Sharemixer site who don’t have forum accounts, though our ultimate goal is to get everyone who uses the movie site to sign up at the forums, whether they use them or not. And of course, our database conversion is going to blow all the Sharemixer users into Viewshark.

One of the reasons I ask is because of the site-wide chat – we’re going hosted chat with Parachat, to give me one more thing to not have to worry about. They can authenticate for their chat with IPB just fine, and I’ve got a ticket out to find out about authenticating from another server (movie site is on server 2, forums on server 1, both subdomains of thunderground.com). But am wondering now if the fact that someone logged into Viewshark is possibly doing so with a different username/password (more likely password) than on the forums. But we’ll see what they say.

Man, single sign on sounds great until you start thinking about it. Have already talked to subhosting about using Shibboleth or something similar to handle single sign on for everything, and they seem to think it will just require some coding, so all of this may have to wait until we go that way.

Still wondering about deploying JW Player 7 instead of 6, which will presumably let me remove the logo overlay with my free license code (as I mentioned, they’ve rolled the features of 6 Pro into 7 Free, and the main one for me is that logo on the player). Is this something I can do (by basically replacing the JW Player 6 that’s installed to 7), or is there some hardcoding involved as well?

Issues. All minor, but annoying.

I’m not sure how VS is handling keeping user connections alive, whether cookie or maybe session, but it really seems to time out too fast. With Sharemixer, they were used to staying logged in, even without activity, till they logged out, and the regular need to log back in is irritating (perhaps most for me, since I’m moving from site to site, back and forth, working on one thing, fixing a problem, then going back, etc.) Is this something that VS controls, or is it on the server side, in which case I’ll talk to subhosting?

The aspect ratio when using the Play View layout is a little off in the featured film (the big window). It’s not completely off, like 16x9 squashed to 4x3, but is still noticeable (especially when looking at my own stuff, where I know the proper aspect ratio). Any way I can change that easily?

Documents give no embed code when you click share/embed. Everything but movies gives no thumbnail when you share via email, as you can see in the attached screenie.

Modifications:

1 – The whole Channels thing we’ve previously discussed. We can temporarily rename Channels to Users or Studios, since that’s basically what it is – a list of user “home pages” (or studios, in our community) – and use playlists for the curated Channels that we need. But ultimately we’d like playlist functionality in a channel, where a user could make a channel that contains movies by other filmmakers. Perhaps just a more flexible channel system, where a channel can be a “personal” channel (like now) or a “curated” channel (as we’d want) based on user choice when creating it.

2 – A user list available on the front end. Not just on the back end. Doesn’t need to be much, just a list of some kind which links to their profile, personal channel, whatever.

3 - Comments are the most important aspect of any vid on the system, more important that number of views. We’d like to have the number of comments default regardless of what view the user is using to see the thumb.

4 – Some kind of visual cue on the home page when you’re logged in that you have new notifications – friend requests, PMs, and comments on your videos.

5 – Choice of mobile mode being part of the user control panel, not just an admin choice. I have users who absolutely hate the mobile view (it’s okay to me, but then I don’t use my phone for that kind of thing – and my tablet shows the full site).

6 – Choice of thumbnail for the video – as admin, I can pull up 3 at a time, and select one for any vid, but this usability should definitely be part of the user’s ability as well, either during the upload/version process, or afterward when you “edit” the video. Ultimately, since the thumb is what someone sees, the user should choose it, not random chance or the site admin.

7 – Download options – again, something else that should be set by the user, either globally or on a per piece of media basis. For example, one member has a band, and likes to share new songs from the band, as well as movies, etc. He has no problem letting people download his movies, but does not want his band’s music in the wild, so to speak. I, on the other hand, will slowly be moving the 2500 hours of internet radio I’ve done in the community into VS after it’s deployed. I WANT people to be able to stream it or download as they choose. If the choice is in the user’s hands, everybody gets what they want.

8 – The stars vs. like/dislike system we’ve discussed. I can send along the Sharemixer code when we get to that point, and it will hopefully be something you can change quickly.

9 – Different levels of admin control, as we’ve previously discussed.

10 – The ability to make expanded video information the default – because of the nature of our community and the works we produce, there’s often a lot of information in the video information – description, actor credits, music credits, etc. etc. Most of us like scanning that (or perhaps even reading it first before we commit to watching the film). Having that fully open as the default would be helpful, and down the road, maybe modify the “edit” screen to put in info like music and actor credits, and then put it into a standard format in video information.

And there you go. If I forgot anything in the email, let me know and I'll go bother them some more.Still waiting to hear back from Parachat as I drill down to what I want it to do.

For now, I'm going to grab a shower, finish watching Lawrence of Arabia, and keep an eye my inbox.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#33 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

Have looked and Viewshark doesn't seem to have an RSS feed, so I've added that to their list. We really need new movies and new comments (at a minimum) displayed in in a block in the forums and on the Portal homepage thing.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#34 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

I'm going to be doing some work on the menu today and tomorrow (the navigation bar uptop), so if things seem to vanish, or it all becomes too confusing, don't panic. I can back out of my changes whenever I have to.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#35 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

I have two things I'd like to accomplish today before my brain liquefies.

First is working with the sidebar (the little widgets on the right of the main forum page). I'd like to get them reordered to my liking, and perhaps add one or two. That probably won't cause much disruption - everything that's there now should remain, though there might be some new ones added.

Second is working on the navigation bar, and transitioning it from Fusion Menu to IP Content. This will almost certainly cause some disruption, as the menu choices appear and disappear while I work things out. You'll be fine if you're in the forum, but you'll have to find your own way to other parts of the TMUniverse temporarily.

Fortunately, having painted myself into a corner with this the other night, I know that if I dramatically fail, I can always back out and get us back to what we have now while I figure things out. So I breakee, I fixee....

Edit: Okay, the sidebar work is done for now - added a currency converter widget (in our connected world, it's nice to know how much things cost in our currency - it was just a test, but at least it worked...) and finally got the chat widget up top, so people can see it. Now on to the real hell of the navigation bar....

Edit #2: The menu is done, for now - it all worked without too much trauma. Test it, and let me know if anything is not working for you.

I'm playing a bit with the portal, still am not happy with it, and will eventually dig into IP Content, since I believe that's the ultimate solution to get exactly what we want.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#36 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

For the beginning of this week:

As I mentioned elsewhere, subhosting will move this IP Board forum to forum.tmunderground.com. Time to let go of vBulletin in all ways. This is TMU's future.

As also mentioned, I know this is going to break things. Hopefully not a LOT of things, but some things. And none of them should be especially difficult to fix. Mostly changing path information in configuration files, that sort of thing.

Before I deploy the chat to the movie site and the radio site, I want to make sure THIS house is in order, so it'll be an issue hunt, looking for what doesn't work back on the regular forum domain, and fixing those issues.

That will be today and maybe some of tomorrow (depending on how fast the move is, and how bad the carnage is). Then back to studying the movie site and radio listen page templates to see how I can shoehorn the chat code into them.

Wednesday it's off to Atlanta (with Monk, if his morning work doesn't interfere) to eat and drink with the vacationing Biz and Mrs. Biz (as well as Biggstrek, who lives there).

And Thursday, back to the grind.

• kkffoo likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#37 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

Just talked to Tarison - we're still a couple of weeks out from the database conversion on the Viewshark site, so I'm letting that lie for the time being...there's not a lot of point of doing mods to it, when those mods may not carry over once the database is converted (they probably will, but why risk having to do them again). He's in the process of doing interviews for a new job, and it's apparently kicking his ass.

So I'll work on other things while I wait. Like getting the TMOA listening page together to my liking.

We continue to move forward, though not at the fevered pace of the past month...

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#38 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

My next project as I wait for the database conversion to be completed in a couple of weeks is the Live page. I have a couple of pre-sales questions out to Dacast, and assuming I get the answers I want, I'll go ahead and get their starter package and then go into the holy hell of embedding a player and the chat, in a way that will work for both PC and mobile users. Essentially, making sure that the goddamned chat room doesn't go full screen on them, obscuring the streaming video player.

Damn you mobile revolution! Things were SO much easier when I just had to worry about people with computers!

More news on that (and probably it's own thread in the Now forum) when I know where we're headed....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users