• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any major projects in the works that would be done in the next month (or so) and would like to be involved in a premier movie night. If we get a couple of good ones we can group them together and promote them appropriately. Email me or let us know here and we will try to plan something.

thebiz.movies at gmail.com

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Even though I have a few projects that wont be done in that time range, and also owe a ton of vo's (which I hope to finish this weekend) my 14 year old son, has decided that he wants to make his 1st TM film, it's a short concept by Ben, which we are already hammering on.
That said, my hope is he doesnt lose interest and this comes to fruition, so we are a definite maybe, but Im certainly game to join everyone on movie night....
Posted Image

#3 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

The live component for stuff like this is going to be a very important part of moving forward, and once we get people coming back and making movies in bulk, I hope to see premiere nights and special movie nights as a regular thing - though it should always be a "big thing" rather than "Oh, geez, another premiere...."

And sometime next year, when World of Lies is finished, we'll have a very special premiere night because, hey, I'm all about using my administrative position to my own advantage....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

I hope to see premiere nights and special movie nights as a regular thing - though it should always be a "big thing" rather than "Oh, geez, another premiere...."

Its a difficult balance.

Any idea on the general date when the live viewer would be up and running? I might try contacting some folks directly and a more specific date range would be good. Last half of August? First Half of Sept?

#5 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

Call it around September 1st, +/- a few days. I can sign up for DaCast in mid-August (or even sooner, since if we have an hour of programming once a week with 50 viewers in high-def, it's still only gonna be $27/month. ). The larger problem is going to be figuring out an easy way for us (meaning whoever is running the broadcast) to get it from their computer to Dacast for streaming.

We can actually store the video on their servers, up to 20gb, with that pricing (and storage overage is only $.15/gig) so in theory a "broadcaster" could put together the program, upload it (20 gig is a pretty good amount - that would be roughly 5 hours of 720p video, at least formatted to vimeo/youtube standards.), then just launch it or whatever at the proper time. I think that's basically what DL did with TMUTheater and Kinte does with Indy Showcase.

As for live broadcasting, that would probably require specialized software (which I have, but can't really pass around unless you have an eye patch and a parrot on your shoulder) and pretty hefty internet upstream, since it would be streaming live, for all intents and purposes, directly to DaCast and then on to the users. I also have that, but many probably don't have 10+ Mbps upload.

If we have something special we want to do, perhaps with a live skype interview with the director and participants, or even live commentary over skype while the movie is playing, I think I can do that with what I have, but it's unlikely anybody else does.

Probably the best way will be to produce the "program", upload it, and launch it. After it's done, it's possible that doing some live streaming audio afterward is very possible, and I wouldn't have a problem handling that as long as it wasn't, like, all the time.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#6 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

So if your saying 'live broadcasts' arent possible onsite, I doubt we would have little issue broadcasting from another venue say Kinte's, cuz afterall, we've kinda had to do that for years anyway, right?
Posted Image

#7 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

So if your saying 'live broadcasts' arent possible onsite

No, not what I'm saying at all. I don't believe Indy Showcase, for example, is LIVE live. You send your movie to Kinte, he uploads it to a server, and when it's time for the premiere, he "presses play" so to speak. That's the way DL did it with TMUTheater as well, and I remember sitting through a couple of horrific premieres when the stored copy malfunctioned, and DL had to try to actually stream LIVE, from his computer, to the server, and then on to the audience. It was very rough and filled with buffering as his internet upstream struggled to the get the film up there to be rebroadcast.

We can do the upload-and-play-live thing without any issue. Hell, I could do it tomorrow. It's really not expensive (like I said, 50 people watching an hour of HD programming a week will run me...let's say $7 a week...next to nothing.)

The problem, if it is one, is doing LIVE live without the buffering and miserable experience on the audience side of thing. My internet pipe is big enough to do it easily. I have the software to do it right. I can even mix incoming webcams or audio into the stream going up. Your face, from a webcam, leering in the corner of the screen while the latest Team X movie plays.

But that's me. I have a hefty internet connection, a hefty computer for video encoding, the right software, and enough familiarity with this kind of thing to do it without looking like a clown (or maybe more like a clown than I already do....)

Let's say you, me, and TPK have new movies, and we decide to have a premiere. Let's say Biz is the guy running the premiere. We can get our movies to him (dropbox, google drive, whatever). He downloads them. He loads up his favorite movie editor and pops them in one after, maybe with a nice transition or text or your leering face between each one. He exports that file at 720p HD. He uploads it to the video streaming host (we're outsourcing it because it's cheap and they're apparently very good) where it's stored till the premiere.

Come Premire Night, when it's time to start and everybody is in chat, Biz presses play (more likely goes to the streaming host, cues up the file, and clicks play). The combined movies with transitions or whatever play. Maybe he has some trailers saved on the server as well, and they get cued up and played first. If we start doing this regularly, trailers and teasers may make a comeback.

Meanwhile the premiere films are playing, people are chatting, and because the chat is sitewide (here in the forums, on the movie part of TMU, even in TMUniversity when it's finally up down the road), people see the discussion about the movie. They hurry over to the live page to watch, drawn by the comments and the idea that something is happening there.

Then AFTER the film, maybe I fire up Skype, get you, TPK, and Biz in as moderator, and we do an impromptu Q&A. Broadcast out of the same player that people were watching the movie in. They ask questions, Biz asks them of us, we answer. All in all, a fun Night at the Movies.

And we can do that basically on day one. Because of my setup, I'll be able to do more on day one. But what I described, run as part of TMU, is pretty good on it's own.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#8 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

I vote premieres should always start by showing Moby Dick. Maybe bake that into the software somehow?

#9 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Really sounds awesome Ken, super ecited here, and rgr may be on to something with Moby Dick....:thumbup1:
Posted Image

#10 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

With Moby Dick, one must balance the joy some would have with the loss of viewers....

However, I could certainly see a Monk retrospective - all the Security Guards in Space Movies, Moby Dick, his Ultimate TMOer films...that's less than an hour....

(but seriously, in addition to special events and premiere events, we might also consider director nights/retrospectives - play a few of the director's films, then interview him or her...might work....)

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#11 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

...in addition to special events and premiere events, we might also consider director nights/retrospectives - play a few of the director's films, then interview him or her...might work...

Totally. Great way to honor the past. Great idea.

#12 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

I like the retrospective idea. Would love to see one on someone like Josephkw, think it would be a very entertaining event.

Or you could do an Ollies special where you screen past award winners. That could be fun. Anything that actively involves the filmic collective is a good idea in my book.
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#13 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see as get past this "pardon our dust" stuff in the next two months, and then start the lead-up to the Ollies - ideally on Feb. 21st, the 10th Anniversary of TMOA and basically the community (since without TMOA, there would have been no TMU - I would have made some movies, moved on to iClone, and briefly thought about the end of TMO....and then gone on with my life... :punk:)

And now it's too late....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#14 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

okay I like this idea and I think would be easier to do by individual rather than have multiple premiere that way we can get to the person better. 

For example 

1.This could be new or older TMU Uers does not matter.
2.have with chat open while playing the premiere so people can comment what the like did not like stuff like that
2.Do an interview with director or producer of the movie after the movie and if if anyone in the chat can comment or ask questions about the movie and producer or you the host can ask only questions.

what are your thoughts on this layout. 

#15 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Trying to plan another Movie Night in the near future with an exciting new release (hush hush).  Does anyone here have something new that would be ready soonish?  Shoot me an email (thebiz.movies at gmail.com) or pm and lets set this thing up!

• FallenThomas and kkffoo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users