• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

(Jesus, I'm a posting machine these days)

Okay, the forum software move from vBulletin to IP Boards.

Things seem to be working here on the forums. The server move seemed to be seamless and didn't cause any major issues. We'll give it a couple of days, to let it shake out, but I'm currently thinking that I'd like to do the software switch by the end of the week. Do it, figure out the problems, fix them, and move forward.

Anybody have thoughts on the move? We're still fine tuning the existing forum to make what we move is what we want, but other than that there's no real impediment to making the jump.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

When does TMOARadio make the move? Or does it?

Are the blogs going to be able to be exported without issue or should we consider saving what we want?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

I'm a little confused (imagine that) are we going to a completely different forum/site, or is the current one being revamped?
:innocent:
Posted Image

#4 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

When does TMOARadio make the move? Or does it?

Are the blogs going to be able to be exported without issue or should we consider saving what we want?

Sites other than the movie and forum sections are still in progress. TMOARadio will move to radio.tmunderground.com (just got an email and subhosting is in process moving my broadcasting software install to that subdomain - when that's done, the existing TMOARadio will go in there too) - in time, all of the archived audio will move to the movie script (which supports both streaming and downloading of audio, as well as movies - which is something we'll all have to discuss sometime in the future) and the useless old homepage will vanish (with pertinent links going wherever they need to go) - I'll retain the domain name, of course, since it's my primary email domain, but there won't be anything actually on the site - it'll just be a redirect on the web.

The IP Boards conversion utility (click vBulletin 4.x) says it will handle blogs and I did purchase the blog module, so we shouldn't lose anything. We'll have to look at the way it's displayed, since their information about it (click blogs a little down from the top) is fairly limited.

I'm a little confused (imagine that) are we going to a completely different forum/site, or is the current one being revamped?
:innocent:

We are staying where we are now - forum.tmunderground.com - we are switching forum software from vBulletin to IP Boards - more functionality, and since vBulletin 5 is apparently a step backward in functionality, and I do want to get off vBulletin 4 before it's obsolete, a move to IP Boards will make it all shiny and new.

If you want to see an IP Board in action, go to one of my favorite haunts - http://riseofflight.com/forum/ - they haven't done much with it in terms of customization, skinning, whatever, but it'll give you an idea of what the forum homepage looks like, and how the threads and posts look.

And now I'm going dark for an hour while I replace the batteries in my gigantic uninterrupted power supply here at TMUCentral. For two and a half years, we've had limited power outages, and very brief ones at that, so the dying and dead batteries weren't a priority. In the past month, we've had two outages of more than an hour, and a couple of power blips as well. Monk says it's summer in Alabama, but I say it's too irritating, so I'm putting in new batteries.

I'll be back, so keep those cards and letters coming!

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#5 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Rise of flight forums look nice.
I noticed they dont have the skype/studio/rep reticles on, is that an optional admin thing?
Posted Image

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Rise of flight forums look nice.
I noticed they dont have the skype/studio/rep reticles on, is that an optional admin thing?

I noticed the rep thing was gone yesterday, and since I pay no attention to it, and didn't even remember exactly what it looked like...:1eye:..., I figured I'd put it on the list and check again down the road. But honestly, if the forum software move is soon, I'm not even gonna mess with it, since we'll still need to explore how IP Boards handles rep (I see Post Rep in the list of things it converts, and maybe that's what we're calling rep)...either way, we'll figure out our options when we reach the promised land.

As for the skype and studio things, I'll have to look at the format of the IP Boards post_bit and see how they handle things other than name, avatar, post numbers, location, whatever is default. A quick glance says you can modify the post_bit the way you need, so that, plus perhaps additional functionality, is on it's way after the move.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

Me and the fellas watchin the move like hawks.
Like fireworks.....
Posted Image

#8 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Me and the fellas watchin the move like hawks.
Like fireworks.....

Let's hope the fireworks stay in your pants - I want it smooth and easy, like a fine malt Scotch. It's an idle hope, since it will more than likely be like being kicked to death while Satan slowly sucks my soul, but I can dream.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users