• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Fancy yourself a digital graphic artist? Know one who'll let you steal their work and pass it off as your own? Then this competition is for you!

Look up at the top of the page. See that things that says TMUnderground and has a director's chair? That's the defacto TMU logo.

I like that logo. It was done by our off-to-greener-pastures pal Elbowlow, who was professionally a graphic artist. He did a very nice job on it, and when he was sending me samples of possible logos, it jumped out at me, and I jumped on it.

That was almost exactly 7 years ago (it was 7 years ago TODAY that I registered the name TMUnderground.com and purchased my Sharemixer hosting package). Now we're heading into the new age of TMUnderground, a revitalization that will hopefully bring us back to those heady days of 2008.

And it's time to think about a new logo for the sites in the TMUniverse. That's where you, the person I mentioned in the first paragraph, comes in.

This is a graphic art competition. I am looking for a new overall TMU logo. And if you come up with one that I really like, you'll win a cash prize. If you're bored, stop reading now. If not, read on...

We have a variety of parts to the TMUniverse, and moving forward, all are or will be falling under the TMUnderground umbrella (and domain) - movie site, forums, live programming page, TMOA Radio, etc. Using the existing logo, I did a quick mockup of the KIND of thing I'm looking at right now - not this exactly, obviously, or I'd just do it myself...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and so on. One reason for the specific branding like this is to be able to use it in social media, other forums, whatever, when discussing an event or a certain part of the TMUniverse. So each part of the TMUniverse will have it's own variation on the logo.

How you do that is up to you. You can incorporate the existing TMU logo, as I did, you can recreate or change it, you can go with something else entirely. That's why you're the artist and I'm the Ken.

The file will need to be a transparent PNG file, so, like the logo at the top of the page, it sits atop the color or whatever that is below it. It needs to be modular, in that you can change the tagline (movies, forum, tmoa radio, etc.) easily. For example, I knocked these four out in about five minutes - loaded the original logo, set up the tagline text format, exported, changed the text, exported, and so on. As new things fall under the TMU umbrella moving forward, I want to be able to knock out a logo for it using our default design that you'll be creating. You give me the PNG with a tagline, I'll worry about changing the taglines. (I'd hate for you to disappear like Elbow with the original...I mean HATE it...)

We may also use the logo for t-shirts, coffee cups, thongs, etc. So you're signing away all rights to the logo if you're the winner, and it will belong to me to do with as I wish to further the community. Don't worry - I won't do anything...unnatural...with it...

Be original, be creative, think outside the box they keep talking about, but make it look good. Creative and visually striking = good. Wacky = put it on your own site.

I'm gonna run this competition till at least the end of August, and perhaps a bit beyond. The final closing date will be when the Viewshark script is ready to replace Sharemixer completely as our movie site engine. You'll have plenty of warning. And plenty of time.

Judges? We don't need no stinkin' judges. I'm the judge. I may ask some folks on the side what they think, from staff to trusted allies, but at the end of the day, I'm going to pick what I like, what most attractively identifies the TMUniverse to me.

The prize? Right now I'm thinking $50, or a $50 giftcard for wherever you shop online that has giftcards, or $50 worth of hooch if you're in Birmingham, AL. In your local currency, of course, which is dollars if you go for the hooch. I'd like to go a little more, and may by the time the competition ends. But right now most of my extra money is going into the community in one way or another.

So there you go. You don't have to tell me "you're in" or whatever. I don't care. All I care about is what you come up with. If you have questions, ask. When you've got something to show me, put it in this thread.

I'd say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

DO you want us to post our efforts in the thread or send them to you Ken?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

DO you want us to post our efforts in the thread or send them to you Ken?

Post 'em here. I'd like everyone to see what our members are capable of. (I'm sure I mean that in the best possible way...)

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Well, I've been working on two today. This first one is a riff on the TCM logo. Created it for giggles but I ended up kinda liking it. The character is Ben Tuttle from Mac's falling down stairs as I wanted a baggage boy character for my iconic character. All the blue would be transparent.

Posted Image

My other one has two versions, one without stripes:

Posted Image

and one with:

Posted Image

#5 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

http://forum.tmunder...ntid=2576&stc=1

If I win, I'll donate my prize to underprivileged children.

Attached Files

• Johnny Ex likes this

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

http://forum.tmunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2576&stc=1

If I win, I'll donate my prize to underprivileged children.

Make the title pop a little more and that's a t-shirt, dude....

[mp3] [/mp3]

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Cool comp Ken.
Neat stuff fellas.... MORE please.
Posted Image

#8 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Heres an effort from today. 99% completed in Sketchup (added a drop shadow and a slight stroke in my graphics program so it will stick out on a lighter background). One of the very few educational things I considered doing was on using sketchup and gimp to create images and logos and such. Still thinking about making a quick tutorial on the subject but times are tight.

Anywho...why a spaceman? Cause spacemen are awesome and look good on black backgrounds and recall a time when MTV was king. So.... spaceman!

Posted Image

#9 grape_escape

grape_escape

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Here is my effort - it incorporates modern technology and feminine colours.

Attached File  tmu_logo.jpg   11.01KB   4 downloads

#10 grape_escape

grape_escape

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

This is my effort - it incorporates modern technology and a feminine colour scheme.

[The white is transparent]

Posted Image

#11 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Posted ImageTMU is in white. :huh:

Attached Files

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#12 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image

Like this one a lot. I think using something like this is perfect, where we keep essentially the same logo across the board and only change the sub-title (Movies, Forums, etc) depending on which part of the site we're on.

Honestly though my favourite logo is still the original! Personally I don't really think it needs changing and would be more in favour of a slight revamping if anything (eg. remove director's chair, use a snappier font but keep the colour scheme), rather than a complete redesign. That might just be me and my irrational fear of change though... :whistling:

Come to think of it, maybe a new colour scheme is the way to go to keep it fresh... I will return to this.
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#13 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

Heres one I worked on today. I was going for "showbiz" theater sign but I think its a bit circusy. Not bad though. I created it in sketchup (96K faces with a half a ball for each light) so I could forseeably use it in some kind of movie promo in the future. Can also adjust the glow setting on those bulbs to make them come a little more alive. Anywho...

Posted Image

#14 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

Here is my submission to the competition. It is a representation of film to digital, from black and white to color, from 2D to 3D. The font is bold and solid, like the community that drives the TMUniverse

2551.jpg

Attached Files

• WX_IVAN likes this

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#15 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:19 AM

I was wondering when you'd get involved, Mike....you airbrusher!

And btw, I am keeping an eye on this thread, just not doing much commenting. But I'm seeing some pretty suave stuff here....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#16 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Well now that it works , lets see if I can work rre-editng the space time continum by editing this post and word it like this little snaffu never happened eh

Hehe it works...people are gonna be sooooo confused..

#17 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

What is the image type? The forums handle jpg, jpeg, gif, and png without problem. I can add additional mime types, I believe, but normally it's easy enough to convert it to one of those, at least for display purposes.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#18 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

It is a relatively small jpg and i have a bigger one in png, nothing fancy in the compression....also my banner doesn't show up in my sig...just sayin'

#19 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

Jpgs work, as do pngs - are you clicking show direct link, and using that rather than the file link? Both jpg and jpg should work fine - this screenshot is a jpg I just uploaded and shared.

2561.jpg

Sigs I need to work on - not sure how they work in IPBoard, but I'll get there when I put out the redirect fires...

Edit: Okay, I fixed my sig - in my case it was because the file link was to the old tmoaradio.com site, which is now at radio.tmunderground.com for the time being. Many of my pictures may not work, since I often used tmoaradio.com to store my images before owncloud.

Try redoing the sig, and see what happens.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#20 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:29 AM

GAAAHHH!! no matter what I do it still says I don't have permission for this file type..its a jpg..I am copy pasting the file share code from owncloud, just like you did, i think, but it still refuses to accept the change..I can see the banner where it should be but it wont let me save the change....major bummer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users