32 replies to this topic

#1 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

Damn! Alabamy hooch is cheep!

Oh, and Biz - I went back to Buck Mulligan's last night to celebrate the end of the month and the forward motion in this hellish move - had a couple of beers (including the $3.00 house ale) and asked the waitress about it. She checked and found that it was Genesee, which I've had before, and is probably their cream ale.

Again, not the best beer I've ever quaffed (which is why I also had a Smithwicks for a buck more), but extremely drinkable, and the price was oh-so-right.

Maybe you're right - maybe we do need a Food & Drink forum.....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:29 AM

I always thought of Genessee as Malt liquor for some reason. Huh. Buck Mulligan should have their own Mulligan Ale so you can take a mulligan.

On the beer front I have a shameful secret....

of late Ive been drinking bud light lime and um...enjoying the chemically lime taste. I cant drink it without thinking of the John Oliver skit about being up for anything ("wow, this beer tastes like the tears of a sick child") and giggling about the vortex bottle. Oh well, mocking and enjoying at the same time. Sounds like Im a bit of a hipster on that front eh. Its hard to find a good light beer as Im trying to watch my girlish figure...

On the forum front I trust your judgement. Just give us a heads up and do what you got to do.
  • kwistufa likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

I always thought of Genessee as Malt liquor for some reason. Huh. Buck Mulligan should have their own Mulligan Ale so you can take a mulligan.

On the beer front I have a shameful secret....

of late Ive been drinking bud light lime and um...enjoying the chemically lime taste. I cant drink it without thinking of the John Oliver skit about being up for anything ("wow, this beer tastes like the tears of a sick child") and giggling about the vortex bottle. Oh well, mocking and enjoying at the same time. Sounds like Im a bit of a hipster on that front eh. Its hard to find a good light beer as Im trying to watch my girlish figure...

On the forum front I trust your judgement. Just give us a heads up and do what you got to do.

Shut the fuck up thebiz we love you and also drink cheap beer.
That said, lemme say Genessee has made a triumphant comeback along with Pabst for the Hipsters and my personal fav, Rolling Rock.
I enjoy the bud lime as well as my friends....When I hava few bucks I prefer a Russian Imperial Stout, but tonight its Miller High Life, because "Im rich".
Gennesee white label is a good deal on the tall cans, its good beer.
I'll take a Mulligan, and put Ken's on my tab.

edit Ken is right- it was a 7ounce can made for slammin, CREAM ALE. K.

notha edit- food and bev forum is needed. i 2nd it.....
Posted Image

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:22 AM

Shut the fuck up thebiz we love you and also drink cheap beer.
That said, lemme say Genessee has made a triumphant comeback along with Pabst for the Hipsters and my personal fav, Rolling Rock.
I enjoy the bud lime as well as my friends....When I hava few bucks I prefer a Russian Imperial Stout, but tonight its Miller High Life, because "Im rich".
Gennesee white label is a good deal on the tall cans, its good beer.
I'll take a Mulligan, and put Ken's on my tab.

edit Ken is right- it was a 7ounce can made for slammin, CREAM ALE. K.

notha edit- food and bev forum is needed. i 2nd it.....

As a youngin I was a rolling rock man. Then one day i grabbed a bottle from the fridge and sat down and brought it to my mouth before I realized that the beer was open and yet I had never opened it...it was full of muck and nastiness and the stench...whew! I never had another rolling rock.

I like cheap beer Johnny. I love tecate and modelo (wonderful summer beers that you can drink all day and all night) but the domestics went sour on me in my early thirtees when a night out led to a weekend of head and stomach pain.. PBRs too sweet for me these days (and an instant hangover). For a while I drank natural lite (but only ice freakin cold). Tastes like water for the most part. Never dug Miller but I can see the draw. In fact perhaps its time to revisit the high life. Miller lite in my near future.

#5 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

I say I love you and praise you and knock you....(these are strange times) same sentence.
Cheap beer is good beer and Im out......see? Dammit.

Edit- my ex wife bought me a rollin rock, our 1st gig....2 cool teenage boys later..... Dont try this at home.
I also like the times where slugging beers and bein cool is cool. Yay beer!
  • kwistufa likes this
Posted Image

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hey, it's my forum, and we can go as far off-topic as we like - anyway, it's good seed posts for the food and drink forum....

New York City. Late 60s to 1971. Rheingold. My beer is Rheingold, the dry beer. Ask for Rheingold wherever you buy beer. Rheingold's head stays so high. Cause it's brewed extra-dry. It's the 10 minute head. Rheingold beer. It was a different time. Rheingold was terrific. I moved to FL and couldn't get it anymore. Had family visiting from NY bring cases for me. Then Pepsi or somebody bought them, they came out with Rheingold Lite, and it was never the same, even after it got some national distribution.

College. Apple wine. Boone's Farm. Zapple. First bottle was always rough going down, but it smoothed the way for the second. Was in a 7-Eleven some 25 years later, saw Boone's Farm in the cooler, and bought a bottle to see how it tasted now that I was older. Disgusting.

After college, Pabst. The only beer that had any flavor. I had been wanting to try it again recently, to see how it tasted today. They only sell it in 12 packs in the grocery stores, and I didn't want to have 11 and a half cans on hand for guests. When I was in Buck Mulligans the other night, I saw it on the beer menu. 16-ounce for $2.50. Only thing cheaper was a bottle of Miller. Ordered it. Tasted a hint of the Pabst taste I remembered in my first sip. Otherwise tasteless.

Mid-70s - Miller. I was smoking a lot of weed at the time and Miller went okay with it. After a while you don't notice.

Later 70s - Little deli type place opened with a cooler full of imported beer. Tried a lot of stuff I'd only heard about. No particular favorites.

Early 80s - Mickey's Malt Liquor. Green label. Green wide mouth bottle. It tasted green.

90s - Saranac Black and Tan, and a dark ale from New Zealand called Black Mac. Bought it by the case from a local beer store.

Early-mid 2000s - Guinness, Smithwicks (pronounced Smiddicks), Arrogant Bastard (the beer made for me - extremely hoppy)

Later 2000s, early 2010s - San Miguel Dark (Philippines) and an amazing Laotian beer - Beer Lao Dark. Modelo Negra in Mexican joints. Moretti or Peroni when in an Italian joint. I prefer the Moretti because of the label...

Posted Image

Moved to Alabama - Good People Ale (Birmingham hometown brewery), Monkeynaut (Huntsville) and most any other local brew. There's a lot of them.

I miss regional breweries. You go to a new part of the country and discover a local beer you've never heard of that's very big, but only in that area. Now you can get anything from anywhere. It takes away some of the pleasure.

Edited by kuroken, 01 August 2015 - 01:32 PM.

• kwistufa likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

I miss regional breweries. You go to a new part of the country and discover a local beer you've never heard of that's very big, but only in that area. Now you can get anything from anywhere. It takes away some of the pleasure.

Last time I spent time in the south Sweetwater was a popular regional choice. Then I think they insulted gay folk or redneck folk or something (I forget which). Still I had a fine time drinking sweetwater well into the early morning and having a fine time. The thing with local breweries is their ability to get on tap at the local bars. I swear by Brooklyn Lager, particularly in the winter.

Let us not forget Cherry red Cisco, the liquid crack of 18 yr olds everywhere ...uhg (my first alcoholic vomiting all over myself moment..but sure as hell not my last). And yea, Boones Farm was atrocious. And a rite of passage. And Mickeys Fine Malt Liquor (green indeed Ken). Warsteiner almost took my thumb off one night long ago...those freaking germans and their evil beers. And hows about Shlitz which gives you the shits (it really wasnt that far a turn of phrase...PR guy!).

Theres a bar up here that gives you a 6 pack of shitty beer for 13$. Its called the crapacopia (old milwakie (I had a OM phase), shlitz, strohs, genessee, pbr, schmidt(?)). And they got indoor bocce ball court! Good times. Its actually a solid drinking hole.

Edited by thebiz, 01 August 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#8 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

I'll have to look for Sweetwater - think I've heard waitresses at a couple of places mention the 420 Pale Ale (and am I crazy, or are there a very large number of weed references on their web site...I guess they're just biding their time for legalization, waiting to use "The perfect brew to have with a smoke" tagline.) And what a great brewery tour they have. Almost worth the two hour drive to get there. Getting back might be an issue, though. Maybe the next time I'm in the mood to do an overnight trip to Atlanta. After all, our servers ARE now in Atlanta in the COLO@34 datacenter (34 Peachtree) and Ivan DID tell me he could arrange a tour of the datacenter any time I wanted. I'd been noncommittal, since I spent enough time in datacenters when I was still working, and very cold rooms with racks of computers is not my idea of a good time (Don't touch that!)

But after a 36 ounce sampling visit and a 64-ounce growler back in the hotel room, it might just be an option. Don't touch that, indeed.

Never heard of Cisco. Seems to be like Night Train and Thunderbird and MD 20/20. Of those, the only one I've actually drank is Mad Dog, one time, one bottle, and it was so disgusting (I was like 19 at the time) that I'm not sure I finished it. After all, I had the more premium Boone's Farm to guzzle....

Schlitz (with the catchy tagline, "When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer"....) was never a favorite.

Tuna!

The urban myth (maybe true, since I probably only had 1-2 Schlitz beers in my life) was that drinking it gave you a headache. I heard that from friends and acquaintances for years. Maybe that kept me away from it. Maybe that's why I didn't grab all the gusto. Maybe that's why I got the cancer.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#9 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

This thread is for those of us who partake of the golden brew to wax poetic about it....moved in posts from The Timeline thread....
  • kwistufa likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#10 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

I'm not much of a drinker, ask Johnny, but I found a certain beer for a certain event tomorrow.

http://www.beeradvoc...profile/73/226/

I'll have to say what I think of it tomorrow. :)

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#11 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

I'm not a huge porter fan, preferring stout, but this one looks pretty good (well, at least it's very highly rated).

Are you going to be hauling a load of iron ore across Lake Superior? Remember, nobody knows where the love of God goes when the beer turns the minutes to hours....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#12 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

Well I hit the miller lite 6 pack of cans tonight. It followed a Modelo 6 pack of bottles. I do like the golden glow of the modelo bottles though the modelo cans are classic (look a lot like miller lite cans as a matter of fact). So whats to say about miller lite? Its tasteless when cold. A fine solution for cheap lite beer. Ringing endorsement (though not quite the Don Draper poetry of "When your out of Shlitz, your out of beer"...thats really solid).

#13 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

I have to admit - I'm sort of a bottle snob. I'll drink canned beer in a pinch, and some beer (like the Good People varieties, which you can find on tap only in a few places and never in bottles) only come in cans.

My preference is draft. Then bottle. And finally, the lowly can.

I don't believe I've ever actually drank a Miller Lite. I never bought into the "Tastes great/less filling" thing - it takes a lot of beer to "fill" me up, and I somehow doubted that it tasted great.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#14 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

I have to admit - I'm sort of a bottle snob. I'll drink canned beer in a pinch, and some beer (like the Good People varieties, which you can find on tap only in a few places and never in bottles) only come in cans.

My preference is draft. Then bottle. And finally, the lowly can.

I don't believe I've ever actually drank a Miller Lite. I never bought into the "Tastes great/less filling" thing - it takes a lot of beer to "fill" me up, and I somehow doubted that it tasted great.

I will only drink tecate in a can. I love everything about it. The red and gold plating. The tin can. the caniness. the can. Modello is also great in a can. But surprisingly good in a bottle. Shitty beer at home is best in a can. Bottles are preffered at the bar/club .

Everything else I agree with you.

#15 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

Shitty beer at home is best in a can

I've never quoted anything sadder on this forum. I do believe there's a movie about urban desperation in that....

Meanwhile, I'm sampling that growler of beer I got at Cowboys this afternoon. With a little research (and my memory of the logo on the keg tap), it's Innis & Gunn Original. Very distinctive taste to it. Not like anything I've drank before. But very tasty.

I wonder if Mac has had a pint of it.

Edit: Son-of-a-bitch - Biz can get it in many places in Brooklyn, even frigging supermarkets. Me? Cowboys is the only place, and it's not even listed on their search tool. And Cowboys swaps out kegs with alarming regularity.

How can this become a new favorite if I can't get it forever!

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#16 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

Went to see Phish this weekend in Cleveland, we consumed a lot of Bass ale, Yuengling, Sam Adams IPA, Heineken and acid before we went in.

Beers were $11.00 a pop inside the venue, the most I have ever seen at any event including pro sporting events, RIDICULOUS!

Posted Image

#17 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, that price is insane. I accept, in a restaurant, that they're going to charge me 3-4 bucks for a beer, maybe even 5-6 - all for a product that costs them a maximum of 2 bucks a bottle, less for a draft. I understand that there's a profit margin, and the bar part of a restaurant is a big part of their profits.

But $11 for a beer? I think I'd skip it, whether I had the money or not. I'm not spending 50-60 bucks on beer for an evening of drinking.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#18 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

They were 'tall cans' but yeah, I nursed 2 and my bro bought me one, twas a 3 hour show. I made it work, lol.

Posted Image

#19 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

I wonder if Mac has had a pint of it.

Sorry I missed this earlier lol, yeah Innes and Gunn is a great Scottish beer. Most of our beers are very bitter but their range all have a really nice smooth, slightly sweet taste. They've got it on tap in most of the good pubs in Glasgow and it's usually around £2.50-£3 a pint (around $5 I think?) so it's usually one of the cheapest ones besides Tennents, Fosters and Carling (shit).

Another great Scottish brewery is the West brewery. Not sure if you can find much of their beers outside Scotland but they brew mostly German style beers and do it really well, if you're into that kind of thing - it's absolutely my thing :P

Not sure if you'll see much of Brewdog outside the UK either - they're more of a modern brewery with some weird and interesting flavours, some good and some absolutely god awful. One of their beers is 35% alcohol, has the consistency of tar and tastes like burnt birthday cake and hair gel. So depending on what kind of night you're looking to have it could be a good or a bad option. Luckily if you go into the Brewdog bar they have on the menu a beer "platter" option, for the price of a pint, where you can choose a selection of five beers and they will give you a small glass of each so you can find out which beers are good and which are absolutely terrible. Which is nice :)

And finally I would recommend the Cairngorm brewery for some of the more bitter ale type beers (these are more traditionally Scottish in flavour). They're cheap and usually have amusing names like "Wee Beastie" and "Ginger Rodent". If you can find them anywhere they're worth a try.

Please please, for the love of God, don't try Tennents. It may be our most popular beer but it's like drinking cat piss out of an ashtray.

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#20 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:01 AM

Well, Ive been on vacation for a couple of weeks and wanted to write all about it but didnt want to create my own thread so instead I bought some booze and felt compelled to write in this bad boy....

Mostly Im drinking my norm on this trip; Modelo Especial, Corona and Bud Lite Lime (dirty little secret).  However, in the interest of interesting I purchased a local brew 6pack called (Hotter than) Helles Lager.  I bought it cause cause the heat index was 104 here in clearwater and the fam had sent me out to grill up some meats.  Yes, its hotta than helles and Im bbqing.  The beer tasted like budwieser.  Only the can was interesting refering to Tampa Bay as Cigar City (one of the main exports of old TB).  They have additional beers from the same company called Florida Cracker (a belgian wheat beer) and  Jai Alai Pale Ale but I wasnt willing to experiment after the tepid-idity of Helles Lager.

Otherwise Clearwater has been wonderfull with boatloads of nature, beautiful beaches and great facilities.  But its hot.  Really freaking hot.  Still, in about 5 months it will be 20 degrees in nyc and this heat will be remembered fondly so f it.  Clearwater = 4.5/5 Stars.  Helles Lager = 2/5 stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users