• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:03 AM

Well, Ive been on vacation for a couple of weeks and wanted to write all about it but didnt want to create my own thread so instead I bought some booze and felt compelled to write in this bad boy....

Mostly Im drinking my norm on this trip; Modelo Especial, Corona and Bud Lite Lime (dirty little secret).  However, in the interest of interesting I purchased a local brew 6pack called (Hotter than) Helles Lager.  I bought it cause cause the heat index was 104 here in clearwater and the fam had sent me out to grill up some meats.  Yes, its hotta than helles and Im bbqing.  The beer tasted like budwieser.  Only the can was interesting refering to Tampa Bay as Cigar City (one of the main exports of old TB).  They have additional beers from the same company called Florida Cracker (a belgian wheat beer) and  Jai Alai Pale Ale but I wasnt willing to experiment after the tepid-idity of Helles Lager.

Otherwise Clearwater has been wonderfull with boatloads of nature, beautiful beaches and great facilities.  But its hot.  Really freaking hot.  Still, in about 5 months it will be 20 degrees in nyc and this heat will be remembered fondly so f it.  Clearwater = 4.5/5 Stars.  Helles Lager = 2/5 stars.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

I never had a really good locally-brewed beer in Florida....it exists (and Cigar City apparently has some well-regarded beers) but availability isn't great, and I rarely saw any of them. And when I did, I wasn't impressed.

Oddly, now I live in a state which still has dry counties and no beer sales on Sundays in some "wet" counties, yet good local brews flow like water....I mean, not from my kitchen sink tap, but work with me...it's a metaphor...

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#23 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

Jebus Fuck... I've just found this thread..!

Edited by kwistufa, 07 September 2015 - 09:50 AM.
& LOVE it!

#24 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

Sure, Kwis, you with your VB flowing like water from a tap in every bar in Australia, and us being stuck only with Fosters...and Fosters brewed by Molson in Canada at that!

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#25 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Okay, I'm a strong believer that any beer is good beer, or at least drinkable...even swill like Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. If it's a choice of beer or no beer, I'll go with beer.

Then I had a Rogue Dead Guy Ale last night.

I wasn't even planning to have a beer last night. I'd made my annual pilgrimage to Wendys (when I worked, I didn't eat a lot of fast food, but I maybe ate it, from one place or another, 2-3 times a month. Since then, and especially since I moved to Birmingham, it's been more like annual trips to one or the other. And oddly, I have, within 2 miles, Wendys, Sonic, Burger King, MacDonalds, Popeyes, Taco Bell, Arbys, and two local chains, Jack's and Milos.... Last month I did Burger King, this month it was Wendys).

So I was home, had eaten, and was about 15 minutes from watching the Democratic Debate when Monk called - he'd worked late, he didn't feel like cooking, did I want to meet him for dinner at Buck Mulligans. I didn't want to eat, of course, but I figured I could have a couple of those tasty 3-dollar Genessee House Ales. Purely to keep him company, of course...

Got there shortly before him, went up to the door, and realized it was packed. People lined up outside the door. I looked in and saw this huge projection TV, and realized they were having a Debate watch party. Fine, but I didn't feel like standing in line or sitting at a shitty table (I always sit at the booths next to the windows, so I can keep an eye on my car in the Chic-Fi-Let parking lot across the street, to make sure it isn't towed).

I went back across the street and met Monk in the parking lot there. Explained the situation. He wasn't happy. We figured we'd walk someplace else. The Black Market Bar and Grill was about a block away (they formerly occupied the space where Buck Mulligans is now), so we headed down there.

Empty. A couple of tables with people, couple more on the patio outside, but really dead - about as we'd thought Buck Mulligans would be on a Tuesday night at 7:30. Apparently the Debate Watch Party had made good business sense.

It was pleasantly cool, so we decided to sit outside. Monk ordered some kind of spicy chicken sandwich, I ordered a Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale - brewed in northeast Alabama, it's a reliable beer that I've had quite a few times. Monk's food arrived, I had a french fry and realized I was, indeed, too full to be eating anything.

When the server wandered back about ten minutes after leaving the food, I asked for the beer list and examined it. The Dead Guy Ale sounded like it might be okay as my second beer. I was wrong...

It seems like it's a highly rated beer, but it was fruity tasting. I don't like fruity beer. I don't like Blue Moon or any of that nasty stuff. When I'm drinking Mexican beer in a Mexican restaurant, I usually remember to tell them "no fruit". If I forget, I remove the lime or whatever before the beer touches my lips.

Like wine, each beer has different characteristics, and the main characteristic of Dead Guy Ale was some kind of fruitiness. It almost tasted like an off-brand of cough syrup, something with a phony chemical fruit flavor so kids won't spit it out.

Nasty.

I kept sipping at it, hoping that I would detect some other taste. I didn't. When Monk had paid the bill and was ready to go, I still had about half the pint in the glass, so I just chugged it. Waste not, want not.

About 20 minutes after I got home, I was slightly nauseated, though it did pass. Maybe they called it Dead Guy Ale because that was one of the ingredients. Those people in Oregon are whacky.

I'll call the disgusting Dead Guy Ale an anomaly, and continue to believe that all beer is good beer. But it's not as easy to believe that after last night.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#26 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

The theme for the post is root beer flavored alcohol. I have a thing for root beer; if there was a brand that I never heard of, I buy it right away and give it a try. A weird fact about myself, not surprising to a lot of people, but the only thing I purchase from a local liquor style is 1919 root beer on tap... but I stumbled across this.

Root beer flavored beer.

It's a hybrid of the two with a more root beer taste than beer. It's alcoholic soda... but it's not that sweet though, but ah well... you don't really taste the alcohol.  If you have a sweet tooth and crave alcohol at the same time, just knock yourself out.

Uncle Bob's Whiskey

Ehh too syrupy... I'm not a fan of it. 

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#27 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

I like root beer, especially A&W (it has that "frosty root taste", as they say) though I can drink other brands in a pinch.

And I've just recently heard of the root beer flavored beer, which seems like something I might want to try. I believe they even have it at a store locally. Of course, I'm prepared to be disgusted, so I'd rather not buy a six pack, but it is something I'd like to try once...

Root beer flavored whiskey? I don't think so. Bourbon, scotch, gin, fine. Flavored whiskey? I don't think so.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#28 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

I have had the root beer beer. On tap and from a bottle. It's from Illinois. Which is my state. And it is so very delicious.

Keep in mind I like root beer, but I don't like beer.

What is beer ? Root beer is non alcoholic. Is it still really beer or is that just in its title for fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:37 AM

Whilst in a drug store with Monk today as he picked up some Christmas ornament hangers, I wandered over to the coolers on one wall to browse.

Any my eyes fell on a six pack of Not Your Father's Root Beer, the beer mentioned by both Ben and the lovely Dulci in preceding posts. And though I indicated that I would not buy a sixer in case it grossed me out, they didn't have singles, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Damn expensive too - like $10+ for the sixpack.

Twenty minutes ago, I consumed one. It looked, smelled, and tasted like root beer. A little sweet for my tastes, but definitely root beer with a relatively mild kick (5.9% alcohol, though they apparently have bigger bottles with double and quadruple that available...God help us) - or more accurately an ale with root beer spices.

I'm hearing that Coney Island Root Beer is better, with more of a straight up root beer taste and perhaps not as sweet. I'll have to look for it (and Biz, being VERY close to Coney, can probably score it at his local deli - assuming root beer doesn't turn his stomach....)

I have to admit to mixed feelings about Not Your Father's Root Beer. As I mentioned, I like root beer and drink it in regular rotation with Fresca, Diet Pepsi, Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale (brewed here in Birmingham, a ginger ale that it so spicy it makes your mouth tingle) and Diet Dr. Pepper. On the other hand, I don't often drink alcohol at home and am slowly working my way through s sixpack of Guinness Nitro IPA (which is actually more like an English Bitter than an India Pale Ale, but it's still pretty tasty...). And having consumed the "root beer", I have a mild feeling of disgust at the memory of it.

But I imagine I'll get through the sixpack in the fullness of time.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#30 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

Yeah I wanna try ONE root beer as well. But don't want to cut in the savings for the Nitro as I do enjoy some IPA. Speaking of which, I tried a Commodore Perry IPA by Great Lakes Brewing up here. Very yummy but not as buzzy as I'd hoped for...
Posted Image

#31 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

I had a conversation with a friend last night about decent cheap beer.  Lately I had been drinking 5$ 4-packs of Becks tall boys as Ive been cooking Beer Can Chicken lately and Becks works well leaving me 3.5 beers to consume after/while cooking.  But Becks isnt quite good (but good for cooking). Its really hard to find any 6 pack in my neighborhood for less than 10 bucks and on a fine night 6 just isnt quite enough for me.  So beer ends up being an expensive choice.  Anywho, his recommendation was Narragansett Lager.  Made on Honor.  Sold on Merit.  Solid cheap beer.  Not bitter.  Pretty smooth with a bit of an edge.

#32 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

Yeah I wanna try ONE root beer as well. But don't want to cut in the savings for the Nitro as I do enjoy some IPA. Speaking of which, I tried a Commodore Perry IPA by Great Lakes Brewing up here. Very yummy but not as buzzy as I'd hoped for...

I generally like IPAs, and in truth, the American IPAs are often quite a bit hoppier than Brit IPAs. The Guinness wasn't very hoppy at all, but I didn't expect it. As for the buzziness, I usually try to stick at below 6% alcohol, especially when I'm out - 5.5-6.0 beer is fine to get a buzz while still enjoying the taste of the beer, and not leaving me unable to drive home without rocketing the car over a mountainside overlook above Birmingham, just to see what it would be like.

Though I do think about it. Especially if Monk is in the car...

I had a conversation with a friend last night about decent cheap beer.  Lately I had been drinking 5$ 4-packs of Becks tall boys as Ive been cooking Beer Can Chicken lately and Becks works well leaving me 3.5 beers to consume after/while cooking.  But Becks isnt quite good (but good for cooking). Its really hard to find any 6 pack in my neighborhood for less than 10 bucks and on a fine night 6 just isnt quite enough for me.  So beer ends up being an expensive choice.  Anywho, his recommendation was Narragansett Lager.  Made on Honor.  Sold on Merit.  Solid cheap beer.  Not bitter.  Pretty smooth with a bit of an edge.

I haven't had Narragansett since I was painting flatbed trucks in Providence. I recall it as being tasty enough, though I was young and my beer palate was still unformed. Don't know if I'd like it now, especially since I don't drink a lot of lagers anymore.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#33 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

Its National Beer Day!  

I went out with a friend the other night to a local craft beer bar.  Never been there before and likely wont be back as I seemingly loath craft beer bars.  There's 30 or so beers on tap and a number of bottles as well and I recognized only one beer by name (Narraganset).  Too much effort to put into drinking beer if you ask me.  If I cant find anything I recognize I feel like going elsewhere.  To add to the hipsterness of the place all the beer pull handles were brass door knobs.  SIgh.

ps.  Draft Narraganset seems to lack the edge of bottled Narraganset and as a resul;t was far too sweet for me though the 5 dollar pints kept them coming.  

beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users