2 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Just had the sad duty of communicating with Final Draft about the competition.
Talking to them was not the sad part. Mailing back the 2 certificates for their program was.

One of the main reasons we continued the short story category this year was all the positive feedback I had received from potential entrants both on Facebook (in 5 different writing groups) and on Twitter. At least 10 people gave the impression they would be entering this year. We only received 1 story before the deadline (had an email late last night apologizing for not meeting the deadline from another). That means only 2 people decided it was worth their time.

If that is the case, there will not be a short story contest in the future. I will have to think long and hard on this. Even the 4 people who contacted me asking to start the category have never entered over the 3 years we have done it. Very disappointing.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

Sorry to hear this Harb. I was another bod who would have liked to enter, but was short of time and ideas.
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#3 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

That sucks, Harb. You do a lot of work on this comp every year.

I've never entered because in all 3 years I've already owned the prizes (Scrivener and Final Draft), and saw no reason to conceivably win and take a prize from somebody who didn't have it and might actually get some use out of it. I know Richard very much liked Scrivener last year when he won it.

Honestly, though, I never understood the reasoning behind writing a short story instead of writing a script. Prose writing and script writing are very different animals, and if you were aiming at our community and other filmmaking communities, asking people to write in a form perhaps foreign to them was a reach. Hell, writing a decent script is a reach for a lot of people, but at least it's a familiar format.

I know you've reached out to writing communities, but my experience with them is that they're even more insular than the most insular machinima communities. If they don't know you, you might get a "sounds good" or "I'll enter", but it will only come to fruition if you're there all the time and become part of their community. Words are cheap, in prose or script format. And words are extra cheap on Facebook, almost as cheap as Likes.

I'd still like to see a writing side to the competition, one that ties in better with the filmmaking side. I just don't see a short story comp as something that melds well with a very successful filmmaking comp.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users