Windows Vista Compatibility Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 matthewd1121

matthewd1121

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:46 AM

My Windows Vista computer that I run The Movies game on crashed during the summer. I've had to restore all software on my pc. Since doing all of Microsoft's Windows updates, I can't get the game to run anymore. A major part of the problem seems to be the User Account Control. In the Basic Home Edition of Windows, you can't do whole lot to change the UAC settings. Even when I turn off or disable the UAC, I still can't get the game to run. Stunts and Effects says that I need Admin access to open. The base game says that there is a known compatibility issue. I've tried to run the game in different compatibility modes and still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions, not involving buying a new pc or upgrading Windows to a newer version?

#2 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

Yup, as of a recent (Novemberish?) update to Windows 7 (and probably older OSes as well), the DRM driver that TM uses is disabled by default, and on Windows 10 it's been removed entirely.

I've been able to get around this issue (I run Windows 7) by bringing up a Command Prompt, typing sc start secdrv to start the service, and sc stop secdrv to turn it off again when I'm done.  Note that you need to run the Command Line in Administrative mode in order for this to work.

• matthewd1121 likes this

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#3 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

Dunno how to rep you from my cell, but that's a detailed, and I hope helpful solution Skars.
It's also worth noting that TM does not in fact run on Windows 10. If you can fix that particular issue we'll get to work immediately on your commemorative plaque.
Posted Image

#4 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

Dunno how to rep you from my cell, but that's a detailed, and I hope helpful solution Skars.
It's also worth noting that TM does not in fact run on Windows 10. If you can fix that particular issue we'll get to work immediately on your commemorative plaque.

Well, like I said... the drivers that The Movies uses to validate the CD don't exist in Windows 10.  Microsoft removed them due to security issues.

My fix for that issue is to not run Windows 10.  B)

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#5 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

cool

Posted Image

#6 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Well, like I said... the drivers that The Movies uses to validate the CD don't exist in Windows 10.  Microsoft removed them due to security issues.

My fix for that issue is to not run Windows 10.  B)

I wonder if the no-cd hack will help with that?  Looks like I will be dealing with Windows 10 shortly.  I will find out.

Although, I am going to do my backdoor trick to install the program (remove hard drive from old computer, put in docking station, copy all files into folder on new computer or put everything on an external drive and then copy over from there.).  Will see if that works.  It did for Windows 8.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#7 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

***UPDATE***

Just got my new Windows 10 desktop and used my external drive to load my 'The Movies' stuff onto it.  Put all the files in the same places my Windows Vista computer had them.  Dragged the exe files (Starmaker and MoviesSE) to make shortcuts on the desktop.  Tried both and they work great.  The video options in S&E even let me go to 1280x1024.

Now, once I have time I can start filming again.

#8 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationEarth, Sol System

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

Soooooooooooo.... the real trick here is to avoid the install altogether he? Copy and paste the entire TM folder from one backup drive to a secondary (or primary?) drive eh?, have a no-cd-hack exe file(s) and your good to go on Winblows10 eh?....that's a lot of eh(s) éh? (I'm canadjun eh!) How about compatibility issues with the newer hardware and stuffs...no eh this time...DOH.....(darnit)......

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#9 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Having the no-cd hack is the main trick.  I haven't done much with it other than start the program and test a couple things like entering a set by clicking on it and setting up a 2 shot scene.  Seems to work fine.

#10 STXFilms

STXFilms

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

I had a similar issue with Windows 8.1 involving UAC. Here's the solution I used but yours seems quicker and easier.

http://forum.tmunder...ems/#entry93579

Nick

"A Blue Butterfly Picture"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users