3 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:11 AM

First, I am trying to decide if the short story category should remain, be modified or removed completely.  There was some debate originally on what direction it would take (script, prose, etc.).  The first year we had 4 entries.  Same with the second year.  2015 saw one entry. 

One solution is to have cash prizes instead of software but that would require investors.  Without a positive showing of participation this would be challenging.

Second, I am considering making the Passion Competition a bi-annual (every 2 year) event. Participation is low so that might be a fix.  Suggestions have been made such from more broad themes to a longer time period.  Both have been tried with both positive and negative effects.  Not sure what the solution is.  As with the short story category, cash prizes is one solution but again, as with the stories, finding investors will be challenging.  I can only provide so much financial support behind this alone.  Right now to maintain the website (hosting and domain name) it is costing about $150 a year.  Doesn't sound like much to some but then add in the cash prizes that I have put forth in the past and now it comes to over $400 a year.  Once again doesn't sound like much but it is when you consider my other financial obligations.  This amount does not costs for advertising (video production, posters in my local area trying to draw in fresh blood, etc).

As always I am open to suggestions on how to improve the contest to be more attractive.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

You already know my feelings about the writing thing - prose writing and filmmaking are two very different things, so you're literally fishing in two different ponds on different sides of the Earth for participation. Script writing always seemed a better fit for a comp that has filmmaking as the other half.

Now that my financial situation has stabilized, I (or TMU technically) would gladly help sponsor with cash prizes, though on the filmmaking side I think you've always been amazing with the prizes you've gotten from sponsors. But on the writing side, definitely...

And one other suggestion - if you're not tied into using a specific domain registrar with your current hosting, you might look at moving your domain to google domains. Flat $12/year WITH domain privacy (so your personal info isn't out there - for example, I do a whois on the Passion Comp domain and I see your name, home address (I assume) and phone number. With privacy, all that stuff is hidden by a proxy - for example, mine says "on behalf of tmoaradio.com owner" for name, with address and phone number of the proxy company in New Zealand that google domains works with) - it's the best deal I could find with privacy, and I moved all of my 15 or so domains over there as they expired this past year. 

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#3 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

I've been meaning to enter your contest for the last 2 years but other things to place of that, that and I do have movie in the works pre production that off on project especially for this contest.

#4 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

You already know my feelings about the writing thing - prose writing and filmmaking are two very different things, so you're literally fishing in two different ponds on different sides of the Earth for participation. Script writing always seemed a better fit for a comp that has filmmaking as the other half.

Now that my financial situation has stabilized, I (or TMU technically) would gladly help sponsor with cash prizes, though on the filmmaking side I think you've always been amazing with the prizes you've gotten from sponsors. But on the writing side, definitely...

And one other suggestion - if you're not tied into using a specific domain registrar with your current hosting, you might look at moving your domain to google domains. Flat $12/year WITH domain privacy (so your personal info isn't out there - for example, I do a whois on the Passion Comp domain and I see your name, home address (I assume) and phone number. With privacy, all that stuff is hidden by a proxy - for example, mine says "on behalf of tmoaradio.com owner" for name, with address and phone number of the proxy company in New Zealand that google domains works with) - it's the best deal I could find with privacy, and I moved all of my 15 or so domains over there as they expired this past year. 

As for the hosting option, I will look into that.  I am locked in until January 2017 but will explore the options.

Funding -- I have considered such things as crowdfunding but not sure how that would be received.  A specific amount would have to be determined (unless the money is carried over or the prizes increased to reflect the donations) and how to divide it between the categories and operating expenses.

Writing thing (as you call it) -- As I tried to explain when the whole concept was brought up, I looked at it as many films (tv shows even) are filmed due to a book or short story adaptation.  Hence, write a story that could be turned into a short film.  I thought about the script concept but would be uncertain as how to even judge that.  People like me only wrote dialog with a few scene describers included where others might be more detailed and a screenplay would have much more.  That is still an option though.

Prizes -- Even though I have had success in finding sponsors for the competition, it is difficult to maintain them when participation is low.  As many noticed for 2015 we had to set prizes by entries received.  We lost Scrivener due to the lack of entries and may not be able to convince Final Draft to participate again.

Trying to convince companies to sponsor is sometimes fairly easy by showing the longevity of the contest but the low participation forces some to shy away.  By offering the same software every time I feel is also one of the drawbacks.  Some don't enter since they have no need for the prizes offered.  Even though the software is the latest versions, that still is not enough to convince them.  That is another reason adding cash awards might help but I think those amounts would have to be substantial enough to grab attention and hold it.

Every year is a work in progress on trying to improve the experience.  That is why I am always looking for feedback.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users