• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

TMU Weekend has come to a successful close and we've had a night to dwell on it.  Let's take a moment to shoot some kudos to Ken who kept things rolling and successfully guided the entire weekend to its port.  A job very well done!   

Now Its important to stay on top of the momentum but where should we focus?  What should we do?  I've got some suggestions and I would like to hear from EVERYONE as well.  If you have a thought or suggestion please post in this thread.  Lets keep the big ball of fun rolling!

• I would really like to see TMU moved out of Beta simply for the case of getting permanent links.  Im not tweeting or blogging or writing threads about movies right now because Im afraid the links will be invalid when we change to the permanent url.  Plus it will just feel good to have that tmunderground url back. 
  • I would like a way to feature movies.  I've chatted briefly with Ken on this one and big changes to the functionality of the site are very difficult (ps.  great job getting the user side embed to work so fast Ken).  Still this is high on my list as featured movies show that TMU supports its directors by giving them a chance to shine.
  • Whats the next event?  I feel events keep us relevant and give directors old and new a reason to stop back in.  Flooding the community with events has the opposite effect but it would be great to have something substantial happening every two to three months.  SO what do we have going on?
    • Ken wants to move on the new Ollies which will take up a block of time (time frame Ken?).
    • Director Spotlights - Watch a group of movies from one director with either a conversation of just comments from that director.  I might be up for hosting/creating one or two of these but if someone else is interested please pipe up.
    • Movie nights - Would be great to package 3-4 new releases together for a movie night.  I know many directors prefer to just release their stuff when they are ready but if we could coordinate the release it can draw a bigger crowd and provide a memorable live experience.
    • Election Based content? - With the US elections coming up it might be a fun time to consider a short contest or just a one on one campaign for president of tmu (just thinking out loud)

How do we promote these things?  I spent a considerable amount of time posting in various forums and twitter for the TMU Weekend.  Bezzer did the same on Facebook.  Ken sent out a mega email to all TMU users.  What worked?  What should we try in the future?  

I kinda feel like the mega email is out for all but the biggest of events but it might be worthwhile to create an email list of folks who would be interested in knowing about TMU events.  Not spam, not news, just events.  We could pass along lists of folks you think might want to be notified and send them an email asking if this is so.  Then keep that list current and send out event emails when something is happening.  Thoughts?

Heres hoping to hear some more ideas soon.

• Johnny Ex, rposhard, macwemyss and 1 other like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 homemadeeye

homemadeeye

Net Worth: 50,000 VCs

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

I love all these ideas. I'd love to see director spotlights, and I love the idea of Movie Nights. I'd definitely be willing to hold off on releasing something to participate in one. And I'll be chock full of election based content since Crime's Worst Nightmare 2D is partially about the 2016 Presidential election (between fictional candidates) and I've written a lot of political ads, most of which won't make it into the actual film so I'll have plenty of extra election based content to release.

#3 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

Time frame on the Ollies is to have them ready to rock by, say, the July 29-31st time frame (8th anniversary of TMU). So we've got five months.

Other stuff is real good.

I do have a MailChimp account for my writing stuff, and we can set something up for TMU (just a different mailing list) - it's opt in, so you sign up, it emails to ask if you really want the content, and then you're in. If we want to go that way, I can easily support it.

I'd like to have things like movie nights, fairly regularly - at least once a month - and maybe one director retrospective a month. This is up to the community, so I'm good with whatever they decide. My own feeling is we have "regular" events, and "special" events - so there's always something going on. The streaming on the weekend worked pretty damn well, if I do say so myself, so a couple of nights a month wouldn't be a problem for me to do - or, if somebody else would like to do them and host them, that's fine too - Open Broadcaster Software at the settings we're using (which looked pretty good) is relatively light on bandwidth, so most people could probably handle it.

Promotion I will leave to others.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#4 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:19 AM

Oh, and I've got a ticket out right now about moving to our permanent URL of movies.tmunderground.com - right now, though, typing in http://www.tmunderground.com WILL take you to the new movie site, and that will not change - when we're moved to the movies subdomain, we'll just send the redirect there instead - so you'll be able to get to the movie site via movies.tmunderground.com or tmunderground.com.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#5 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, or if it's a real issue, but I would like to be able to have better control over my videos on the movie site.  In particular I would like to be able to alter the embed details, and/or replace the video without having to re-upload (and lose comments, etc).

It may well be possible to do this already, but I had a look just now and can't see it.

--

On a side note, after the weekend's activities, I'm all pumped up again to make a movie.  Just need to think of a cool idea...

• kkffoo likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, or if it's a real issue, but I would like to be able to have better control over my videos on the movie site.  In particular I would like to be able to alter the embed details, and/or replace the video without having to re-upload (and lose comments, etc).

It can be done from the admin side of things and I can also move comments in the database (moved DL's comment about TGTMUM from Biz's embed version to the direct upload version), but can't do either from user side. We MIGHT be able to get the embed details added to the user side as something that could be edited, and will stick it on the list.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

We'll probably do the move to movies.tmunderground.com in the next day or two - KVS sent me the info on what needed to be done and I'm going to pass it on to subhosting for implementation today or tomorrow.

Sooooooon the movie site will be in its permanent home.

• kkffoo likes this

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#8 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hey Ken, lets move forward on developing that email list so that when the next movie night or whatever happens, we are ready.  Ill shoot you an email.

I love all these ideas. I'd love to see director spotlights, and I love the idea of Movie Nights. I'd definitely be willing to hold off on releasing something to participate in one. And I'll be chock full of election based content since Crime's Worst Nightmare 2D is partially about the 2016 Presidential election (between fictional candidates) and I've written a lot of political ads, most of which won't make it into the actual film so I'll have plenty of extra election based content to release.

Excellent HME!  Let me or ken know the logistics of when you think it might be ready for release and maybe we can pair it with something or just show it alone.  Give me enough time to promote and Ill do what I can.  And yea, keep the political ideas in mind as maybe we can cook up some fun as that season goes into high gear.

We'll probably do the move to movies.tmunderground.com in the next day or two - KVS sent me the info on what needed to be done and I'm going to pass it on to subhosting for implementation today or tomorrow.

Sooooooon the movie site will be in its permanent home.

Wonderful news!  I will try to work up a possible thread for a Commentathon to highlight some of the movies that have been added while the site was in flux.  And maybe moving forward and get folks used to the new movie user interface.  

"If you could spare just one comment a day..."

Wheres Jerry Lewis!  Wait maybe we need a commentathon video short....thinking...thinking...wouldnt HME make a fab Jerry Lewis?

#9 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

• Director Spotlights - Watch a group of movies from one director with either a conversation of just comments from that director.  I might be up for hosting/creating one or two of these but if someone else is interested please pipe up.

I'd be interested in contributing towards this. I think Ken's idea of one a month is a good one, and hopefully with enough contributors shouldn't really be too taxing to keep up with.

I think as was mentioned before a good time for the Ollies would probably be somewhere around the TMU anniversary. Biz, if you wanted to do a few more Best Of videos for 2014, 2013 etc to assist with the initial nominations I'd be totally down for that.

I have heard from one person regarding a potential contest, the details of which will likely be posted very soon. I personally think the theme of said contest could be a lot of fun to work with and should hopefully get people excited and motivated to make movies again. Things like this are a good way of encouraging community involvement and I think having fun, specific themes are a good way of encouraging creativity and challenging directors.

The movie nights idea also sounds like a lot of fun. We've seen over the weekend the interest that TMU still generates when word gets around that something's going on. I think the social aspect is one of the most important parts of TMU's identity and sets us apart from other forums that are purely business. Hanging out and watching movies together helps to both promote users' work and may inspire others to work on movies of their own, so it's a win win.

Lots of exciting ideas. Let's grab that momentum and run with it :)

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#10 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:41 AM

Exciting ideas to read about here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

I think as was mentioned before a good time for the Ollies would probably be somewhere around the TMU anniversary. Biz, if you wanted to do a few more Best Of videos for 2014, 2013 etc to assist with the initial nominations I'd be totally down for that.

....... I think the social aspect is one of the most important parts of TMU's identity and sets us apart from other forums that are purely business. 

Need figure out what the eligible years will be.  There was chat about the last two years I think.  Lets see what Ken has to say on the matter and plan from there.  Can definitely work towards another one but there will be more movies the further we go back so I would figure to move to a clips only format.  Ill start thinking about 2014 and you do the same Mac.  Shouldn't just be my picks if we are going in on this together.  Lets chat on this in the near future.

And I totally agree about the social component.   I think really great (and varied, and exciting and well promoted) events are the path to continued relevance. 

One thought about the live streaming...playlists of previously recorded materials worked great flowing from one thing to another.  However, working with actual live programming may be more challenging as we saw in the transition between Bens IClone show to the "Favorites of 2015" program which resulted in some aspect ratio changes and then a lot of refreshing from the users which causes the chatroom to freak out with folks jumping in and out. I would like to play with the live streaming software if I can find time and I know Ken's time is equally thin.  That said, this issue is one to be aware of and maybe we can play around with it befor we go live again.  I was imagining some kind of Live Chatroom Trivia game that could be played before a live premier but that transition issue might be troublesome.   

#12 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

One thought about the live streaming...playlists of previously recorded materials worked great flowing from one thing to another.  However, working with actual live programming may be more challenging as we saw in the transition between Bens IClone show to the "Favorites of 2015" program which resulted in some aspect ratio changes and then a lot of refreshing from the users which causes the chatroom to freak out with folks jumping in and out. I would like to play with the live streaming software if I can find time and I know Ken's time is equally thin.  That said, this issue is one to be aware of and maybe we can play around with it befor we go live again.  I was imagining some kind of Live Chatroom Trivia game that could be played before a live premier but that transition issue might be troublesome.   

I'm not 100% sure that it was the switch that messed up the aspect ratio - it's something we need to test a bit more before we go from live to prerecorded.

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#13 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

I love the trivia idea, Ben and our little crew played Cards against humanity and a few other games not long ago, thought it was a perfect community game and quite a bit of fun for sure. My 2 cents.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#14 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

The details for the domain move to movies.tmunderground.com have been sent to subhosting, and we should see the change in the next day or two (certainly by the end of the week).

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#15 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

My TMU  goal this weekend is to get the Favorites of 2015 program up on the movie site either in a shorter edited version or perhaps in two separate parts.  

Then I'm trying to get a quick promo together that will highlight some of the movies uploaded while tmu was in beta and show folks the easy process of leaving a comment.  Ideally Id like to have this up when we leave Beta but issues have come up and I might need a few extra days to complete it.  We shall see.

Once TMU is out of Beta it will be safe and sound to invite folks from youtube to upload/embed their movies on TMU so we can move forward with that.

Regarding March events, does anyone have any upcoming releases in the pipeline?  Ive got an idea on showing something interesting but I would rather have new releases if you got them...

#16 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Regarding March events, does anyone have any upcoming releases in the pipeline?  Ive got an idea on showing something interesting but I would rather have new releases if you got them...

I have a short (3 min?) Star Wars sequence that I'm playing with that you could throw into the mix.  It would not be any good on its own, more of a "what's in the works" kind of thing.  It's basically a third of the actual flick I had planned, so it's very incomplete (footage created when I paused making "UPM Saves Xmas" as a distraction).  This weekend I'm throwing in the sound effects and will tack on a "To Be Continued" card at the end.  Oh, and it heavily betrays copyright rules with the music... heavily.  :)

GodivaBanner02.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users