7 replies to this topic

#1 Howitzer

Howitzer

The Dancing Lion of TMU!

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hi All, I hope this is the right location for this thread...

I recently picked up a Blue Yeti mic with the Radius II shock mount.

Lovely piece of kit; amazing sound and I'm learning to use it properly along with software for my YouTube vids and hopefully some VO here once ready :)

Thing is... it's -~Incredibly~- heavy!

It destroyed the scissor arm I bought to hold it after 2 minutes.

Has anyone else got this mic (or something else heavy? Can anyone advise on a really good strong arm or floor standing mic stand that can take a good weight?
Or perhaps you've come up with another solution to a similar problem?

I have a desk stand for it but it picks up every tiny tap or knock and amplifies it straight down the mic (the shock mount is not compatible with the desktop stand).

Any advise would be much appreciated :D

Cheers,

Howie.

#2 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hiya Howie!
Macwemyss rigged up something pretty slick for the best of 2015 show (I'm at work no time to link) but you can clearly see what he did in the vid.
Good to see ya home.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#3 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

I bought this Mic about three weeks ago.  Im using it on the tabletop so no problems there (yea, its super heavy) but damn its noisy.  I backed the gain all the way down and still its noisy.  Moved it all around, stuck a sock on it, flipped between all the settings, put it in a box but still noisy.  Then my refrigerator (about 20' away) turned off and the noise went away. I suppose its just white noise that I wasnt paying attention to but that mic is super sensitive...Will have to unplug the fridge every time I want to use it.

you can see Mac's setup here: http://movies.tmunde...-of-2015-part-2

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

Macwemyss rigged up something pretty slick for the best of 2015 show (I'm at work no time to link) but you can clearly see what he did in the vid.

Ha, it looked slick because the sketchy bits were off camera.. I was just using a really crap standard mic stand counterbalanced with a sock full of candles - but if you're desperate it's definitely an option :P

Howie, I had a similar issue with my Rode NT1-A but I've just recently upgraded my mic stands and they seem to be working reasonably well for now! For my more professional recordings where I need to stand up away from the computer I have one of these. It isn't perfect as it does still sway a bit much for my liking but the cast-iron base means it's definitely more stable than my previous one (and it's able to hold this on top as well as the mic, shockmount and wind filter). One thing though is you can only stand it straight up - it won't tilt to the side at all, so is definitely best suited to recording while standing up.

tPHOxjV.jpg

If you'd rather sit at the computer and record I also bought one of these to clamp to the side of my desk and it's been SUPER useful. It folds out nicely to pretty much wherever I need it and doesn't seem to struggle with the weight at all. This thing is rock solid with my mic setup. One thing I did do to cut down on the weight though was take off the wind filter (which has a heavy metal frame) and put a foam topper on the mic instead - it works just as well provided I don't speak too close to the mic, and has the added bonus of not being in your way so much when you need to see the computer screen.

b1sCzZn.jpg

But yeah I went ahead and checked the total weight of your setup and that arm should hold it no problem whether you use the wind filter or not! Good luck finding something that works :)

I bought this Mic about three weeks ago.  Im using it on the tabletop so no problems there (yea, its super heavy) but damn its noisy.  I backed the gain all the way down and still its noisy.  Moved it all around, stuck a sock on it, flipped between all the settings, put it in a box but still noisy.  Then my refrigerator (about 20' away) turned off and the noise went away. I suppose its just white noise that I wasnt paying attention to but that mic is super sensitive...Will have to unplug the fridge every time I want to use it.

Yeah, you'll find as your microphone gets more expensive it picks up a lot more background noise so your recording environment becomes more important. Best to find as quiet a place as possible with as few room reflections as you can (somewhere with thick curtains, wall drapes, furniture etc tends to work best as those absorb sound a lot better than bare walls. Or, for a quick and easy solution, just drape a thick blanket over you and the mic whilst recording. Looks stupid but it gets the job done - just make sure you're not brushing the mic with the blanket at all because it'll sound like an earthquake on the recording. Oh, and it gets hot as holy hell under there so bring a drink with you ;)

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#5 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, you'll find as your microphone gets more expensive it picks up a lot more background noise so your recording environment becomes more important. Best to find as quiet a place as possible with as few room reflections as you can (somewhere with thick curtains, wall drapes, furniture etc tends to work best as those absorb sound a lot better than bare walls. Or, for a quick and easy solution, just drape a thick blanket over you and the mic whilst recording. Looks stupid but it gets the job done - just make sure you're not brushing the mic with the blanket at all because it'll sound like an earthquake on the recording. Oh, and it gets hot as holy hell under there so bring a drink with you ;)

If we manage to do a best of 2014 segment, Im gunna video record from under a blanket.  Perhaps we can go with a childhood fort theme this time....

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

For music vocals I use a ProLine round-base floor stand.  You can unscrew the grip at the top and replace it with the shock mount, I believe.  I also have a smaller tripod desk mount that I use to mic my guitar cab.  They're sturdy, strong, and don't have issues with extraneous noise.

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#7 Howitzer

Howitzer

The Dancing Lion of TMU!

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Johnny, good to be back. Will try to intergrate a bit more as time goes on :P Lots of reading so far to catch up with what's hapnin'

you can see Mac's setup here: http://movies.tmunde...-of-2015-part-2

Ha, it looked slick because the sketchy bits were off camera.. I was just using a really crap standard mic stand counterbalanced with a sock full of candles - but if you're desperate it's definitely an option :P

Howie, I had a similar issue with my Rode NT1-A but I've just recently upgraded my mic stands and they seem to be working reasonably well for now! For my more professional recordings where I need to stand up away from the computer I have one of these. It isn't perfect as it does still sway a bit much for my liking but the cast-iron base means it's definitely more stable than my previous one (and it's able to hold this on top as well as the mic, shockmount and wind filter). One thing though is you can only stand it straight up - it won't tilt to the side at all, so is definitely best suited to recording while standing up.

If you'd rather sit at the computer and record I also bought one of these to clamp to the side of my desk and it's been SUPER useful. It folds out nicely to pretty much wherever I need it and doesn't seem to struggle with the weight at all. This thing is rock solid with my mic setup. One thing I did do to cut down on the weight though was take off the wind filter (which has a heavy metal frame) and put a foam topper on the mic instead - it works just as well provided I don't speak too close to the mic, and has the added bonus of not being in your way so much when you need to see the computer screen.

But yeah I went ahead and checked the total weight of your setup and that arm should hold it no problem whether you use the wind filter or not! Good luck finding something that works :)

I did think it was a noisey mic at first but as Mac says I think it's just a hell of a lot more sensitive than we're maybe used to haha.

Part of the reason I've been playing with audio software to cancel any noise that does get through. Been pretty successful so far but it's still early days. Will definitely give the blanket fort method a shot!

Thanks for the suggestions Mac! Might try out that scissor arm first - something desk height that I can have in front of me would be more versatile for my purposes. But may consider a straight floor stand if it doesnt work out, I could always have it low/nearby.

The backing screen is pretty nifty! I have some random foam on the walll behing my monitor at the mo, doesn't do a great deal I don't think though haha

Thanks all :)

#8 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

The backing screen is pretty nifty! I have some random foam on the walll behing my monitor at the mo, doesn't do a great deal I don't think though haha

A reflection filter really is a great option if you're looking for the best mix of echo cancelling/cost/practicality. The blanket definitely does a great job though if you don't want to invest the extra £70. Just a bit of a pain holding it up the whole time as it gets warm and your arms start hurting after a bit, and you need to be careful not to brush the mic :P

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users