Photo
- - - - -

Any graphic overhaul mods for The Movies?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CB2001

CB2001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:50 AM

Hello,

My name is CB2001.  Before I begin this is my first post ever at the forums, and I'd like to thank everyone here for the mods they've posted here and 8EyedBaby.  It's good to see that there's still a community left for such an awesome game like The Movies.  It's the community that's keeping its heart beating.  Now, onto my question.

When it comes to some older games that still have a following, some older games often show their age for modern computers.  However, some users for certain games have often taken it upon themselves to update the graphics for the game, which often include HD textures, high quality models and better effects to replace the older ones, while still keeping the gameplay the same, which are often call "graphics overhaul mods".  One such example I can think of is Grand Theft Auto: Sand Andreas Remastered.  Another example that comes to mind is Homeworld 2's Ultra High Graphics mod.  Now, for The Movies, it's been well over 10 years since its initial release, and I thought maybe there'd be such an overhaul graphics mod for the game.  Alas, Google didn't pull anything up that matched (when searching for "The Movies, Lionhead, graphics overhaul mod", it just pulled up mod sites in general such as 8EyedBaby.com.  So, I figured I'd ask the question here:

Does anyone know if there's a graphics overhaul mod for the game?  If there isn't, that's okay.  I figured I'd asked and the worse case scenario is that there isn't one.  Let me know whenever y'all can.  Have a nice day.  :D

#2 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi and welcome to TMU

As far as I know, there is no such pack or even a project like this, but that would be so awesome. We are able to extract all the textures and I recall someone actually did ;) , you just need to know where to look  <_< or who to ask :rolleyes: .

There is, kind of an upgrade going on with modders using bigger and more detailed maps and textures in their modds. Today's hardware can handle higher res textures and the TM engine doesn't seem to mind, so you could say, as time goes on, the overall look is getting a boost.

As far as upgrading the rendering engine itself, that is not, IMO, possible....not without the source code,....and someone willing and able to do the core upgrade.........and recompile.........and avoid legal issues......... :(

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#3 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

In addition to what Mike said (as an aside, Mike, do those downloads offer the Stunts & Effects costumes?  My copy of Pak Poker doesn't seem to want to read the add-on pak files...), it's possible to "upgrade" The Movies' effects using post-production software like Hitfilm.  I'm working on a sci-fi series right now that's going to have vastly upgraded smoke, fire, and other particle effects as well as more high-res backgrounds simply by virtue of using Hitfilm's built-in capabilities.  None of this requires modding The Movies at all, and if you're serious about really taking the game to the next level, this is where you should be looking.

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#4 CB2001

CB2001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

I don't know if they change the render engine or not (I guess for the effects), but most graphic overhauls from what I've seen have mainly the updating of the textures and models.  But, I figured it never hurts to ask to see if there was already one.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  :D

#5 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:20 AM

The Movies don't even have normal maps, if it had, I think it would make a huge difference.

“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#6 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:35 AM

Absolutely true Beo. Normal maps are the corner stone of realistic shading. Also the newer games offer better graphic capabilities and options like Ambient occlusion and dynamic shadows so the look is far beyond what TM is right out of the gate. Just imagine if TM had the Unreal4 engine inside......ooooh baby.

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#7 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

you should read my post I made hear and listen to the responce I got http://forum.tmunder...667-a-new-game/

#8 CB2001

CB2001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:13 AM

Well, the thing about using another engine, I have to agree that it'd probably result in the simulation portion of The Movies to be removed, and leave us with the machinima making ability by itself (something similar to Moviestorm).  But I can imagine what the game would be like in with the Unreal engine, as I've played Killing Floor 2, which uses the recent version of the Unreal engine, and I agree, it would look beautiful.

#9 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Absolutely true Beo. Normal maps are the corner stone of realistic shading. Also the newer games offer better graphic capabilities and options like Ambient occlusion and dynamic shadows so the look is far beyond what TM is right out of the gate. Just imagine if TM had the Unreal4 engine inside......ooooh baby.

Now that would be interesting. 

you should read my post I made hear and listen to the responce I got http://forum.tmunder...667-a-new-game/

A The Movies 2 won't be happening in the meantime.

To be honest, I see iClone as a placeholder for The Movies 2. Since they introduced the Character Creator, which is Starmaker but on steroids, it was the last step for it.

• Johnny Ex likes this

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#10 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:46 PM

Now that would be interesting. 

A The Movies 2 won't be happening in the meantime.

To be honest, I see iClone as a placeholder for The Movies 2. Since they introduced the Character Creator, which is Starmaker but on steroids, it was the last step for it.

iClone animations and characters are just horrible and from version to version, I can't see much improvement on either one.

“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#11 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:35 PM

iClone animations and characters are just horrible and from version to version, I can't see much improvement on either one.

Animation depends on who is behind the program really... it's a lot of work and it requires a lot of fine tuning. People get lazy and it's why you get the tinman style of animation.  I'm not perfect at them, but I find a way of improving and there's been a lot of new tools, including a motion puppet. 
As for characters... 

https://scontent-ord...898015174_o.jpg

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

There's been a lot of change in the last year. 2k textures and a lot of morphs. They need more hair though... I remember paying for faces and they can't even hold a candle to the pictures above

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#12 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

I have to admit that this girl looks nice.

Ok, I cheked a little more...

The character editing tool seems to be really powerful, but you have to get at least the 200$ bundle to get it, I think it's a bit expansive.

#13 CB2001

CB2001

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

I have to agree, Beowulf.  That's just way to expensive for my taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users