6 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

Over the weekend I renewed the domains for the Passion Competition for another year and in January will be renewing the hosting.

The contest will be back in 2017 with some minor changes.  One change will be in the writing category.  This time we will go with scripts.  Nothing firm yet but I will be working on what kind and what will be expected in the next few months.  I will probably ask for input to help me finalize the specifics from the community.  There will also be changes on what can be submitted but those changes are still being worked on.

The official planning won't start until early February and I will keep everyone updated as we go.

• BiggsTrek, macwemyss, kkffoo and 1 other like this

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

good to hear

#3 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Nice to hear the competition will be back - it definitely was missed in 2016!

If you're open to suggestions for next year's rules, I would say maybe limit entries to only films made in 2017 (and I suppose 2016 since there wasn't a contest this year)? Yeah it might mean less entries, but I think having old movies entered is kinda pointless anyway, and gives people an excuse not to put the effort into making something new :)

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#4 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

Nice to hear the competition will be back - it definitely was missed in 2016!

If you're open to suggestions for next year's rules, I would say maybe limit entries to only films made in 2017 (and I suppose 2016 since there wasn't a contest this year)? Yeah it might mean less entries, but I think having old movies entered is kinda pointless anyway, and gives people an excuse not to put the effort into making something new :)

That is one of the major things I am looking at going forward.  In the past we have allowed films that were more than 1 year and even 4 years old.  More than likely the age of the film will be either new or, as you stated, relatively new since we were unable to have a contest in 2016.  The age will definitely be addressed.

• macwemyss likes this

#5 Law

Law

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Since I have only been a member since April of this year I don't really know much about this Passion Competition, especially since it hasn't been held this year, but I am looking forward to its return. I certainly hope to be able to submit an entry.

#6 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

In my signature is a link to the website.  You can see past winners videos and stories along with who has sponsored the competition in the past and links to other great sites.

• Law likes this

#7 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

My first order of business for the 2017 contest will be to start contacting potential sponsors. Some that we have had in the past will no longer be with us. Not sure how many of the ones we had for the 2015 contest will remain.

One thing is certain though, more emphasis will be put on monetary awards and less on software. Trying to find sponsors willing to do this is going to take a lot of work. After renewing the domain and hosting, the coffers are empty. My goal is to have $2000 available to spread out over 5 awards (3 in video and 2 in writing) if possible. I will still try to have software available but past entry levels may limit that. It may also limit monetary donations as well.

I will be starting on prize lists, theme/rules/guidelines and other necessary info in February. Our attempt at a fundraiser through Indigo did not fare well but I do thank those who did donate. I am considering doing another but not sure at this time.

• macwemyss and Law like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users