Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Escape Plan Production Thread

escape plan macwemyss bentuttle90 prison series the movies pilot production thread work in progress joster285 comedy

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hi guys, I didn't want to make this thread too early as the time I've had available to spend on machinima projects over the past few years has been somewhat limited and I didn't want another Curse of Morvale situation where I got a great cast, had people hyped up and then never made the movie. It was probably a good decision as it's now about a year and a half since I first wrote this project and only in the new year (as one of my resolutions) did I finally get back to filming (mostly re-filming actually, as most of the scenes I had shot required new set dressing, couple of custom mods, etc).

Anyway, this is going to be a first for me on TMU, as I'll be taking my first tentative steps into making a SERIES. Before I only really made short 10-15 minute movies, but I feel like this gives me a proper chance to write some strong, fleshed out characters and an established world without committing to an epic scale feature film that I might get burned out on. Still early days so I'm going to label this first episode a pilot and see how it does. If people enjoy then I'll look at moving on to making a full blown series with the characters.

Now, the basic premise of the series revolves around three somewhat average dudes - Cooper Moore (played by BenTuttle90), Harold Clacker (joster285) and Jonah Cannoli (myself) - as they adapt to life in prison after being caught trying to rob a bank. It's a comedy so it'll be more lighthearted than most of my previous works. This first episode introduces the characters and acts as a kind of prelude, showing how they got arrested and leaves off nicely just as they settle into their new home behind bars, introducing a couple of the recurring prison characters as well.

Here are some rough screenshots from the opening scenes to give a gist of the characters:

5KtXNeW.jpg
From left to right - Harold Clacker, Cooper Moore and Jonah Cannoli.

cz0dCbr.jpg
Cooper, the leader of the group, likes to think of himself as a master thinker who always has a plan. While the latter is often true, that doesn't mean his plans are very good...

FCoFuLx.jpg
It's quite common for Harold and Jonah to simply follow Cooper's lead, despite not knowing exactly what they're doing.

Ii77KqV.jpg
Cooper planning, as usual.

jo8FVAq.jpg
Harold, sarcastic but shy and lacking confidence, is usually the one to have doubts about Cooper's plans, although always manages to find himself dragged along anyway.

Filming is currently sitting at just over 50% done for this episode - hoping to get a lot more done over the coming weeks. I have the three main roles cast, plus a couple of other recurring roles, but there will be other voices both in this episode and in others that I'll need to cast down the line. Will post details about those when I get closer to finishing filming.

I'm going to be using a new technique I figured out in order to export footage from The Movies at a much higher resolution and frame rate, so if nothing else, this will look pretty clear and sharp.

Here's a short test clip (which has since been re-shot with new mods and not showing the edge of the set :P) to show what I'm talking about:

Anyway, I'm off to film some more! Will post more when I have updates ;)

• BiggsTrek and Law like this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#2 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Glad you're getting back to movie making Mac, this looks awesome! The screenshots are very nice and that little clip looks great, how did you export the footage like that? Excited that this could turn into a series if people enjoy it, which I'm sure they will. Looking forward to the first episode, and if you need a voice actor for this episode or any of the future ones, let me know! I'd be happy to since you were so kind as to offer to do so for me. :)

#3 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Law, glad you like what you've seen!

In terms of getting the high quality export, a lot of it depends on how powerful your computer is and even then it's a bit of a workaround.. Basically you need to film whatever footage you need normally, then go into your graphics card settings (eg. Mine is the Catalyst software for Radeon cards).

There should be options for graphics upscaling, such as anti-aliasing, smoothing sharp edges etc. Set all of those as high as you can and tick the box that allows these settings to override standard program settings. This will make the game look a lot smoother with far less jagged edges and loss of detail.

The only issue is the game itself won't actually run properly on these settings (at least not for me) as they make it quite unstable and it crashes constantly.

However, the workaround I discovered is that you can actually use the Movie Player function in the main menu with no issues, and the graphical improvements will still apply to whatever scenes you've planned and filmed in game before.

So, basically what I do next is have the scenes play out in the Movie Player and capture them with FRAPS. Afterwards I'll import them into Magix and zoom so I can only see the footage (without the buttons and timeline from in-game). Bear in mind some footage around the edges will get chopped off, that's kind of unavoidable unfortunately.

It's worth noting that the footage I'm exporting is actually higher than 1080p because I run my system at 4k resolution but if you run yours at 1080p then the exported footage will be less than that once you've zoomed it in. Recording at 4k and 60fps in FRAPS like I do needs quite a powerful computer but there are other solutions if you can't get this method to work for you.

I think there is a mod floating around somewhere that edits the "Highest" export setting to be full 720p, although I haven't used it so couldn't say how good it is. It's definitely better than the default function though so worth a try!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
  • Law likes this

#4 Chris62

Chris62

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Can't wait to see it when your done.

GCMk.jpg

#5 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

You're welcome!

The computer I use The Movies on isn't the best in the world, but at least one of these suggestions should work. Probably won't be able to shoot in 1080p or 4K like you can, but 720p is better than nothing! I'll try this someday soon, got everything you said saved in a word document for later. That's a really clever method though, Mac!

#6 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

And just like that it's been a full month since my last update!

Although I haven't worked on this as much as I would've liked, I've still managed to forge ahead with some scenes and I'm sitting at around 60-70% complete with filming. I'm starting to get into some trickier sequences now where I have to get creative with greenscreens, which, despite being slow and a bit of a pain, is actually a lot of fun to do.

It's looking like the episode could end up closer to 30 mins than 15 as I'd hoped it would be, partly down to underestimating how much dialogue I had crammed into the script and partly because I've been adding some extra visual gags that came to me while filming, but I suppose it's normal for a pilot episode to be slightly longer so that's cool.

Anyway, here are some more screenshots and I hope to be back with more updates very soon!

5Kf2a1P.jpg

vRwo7lu.png

BevYnBl.jpg

pmaYPuM.png

ccR7ChX.png

• Law likes this

#7 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

I had the same underestimate with Out of Print, it ended up quite a bit longer than anticipated (not including the things that I could have cut short as Biz suggested)

Anyways, things are looking awesome here, so the longer the better I say! Looking forward to the pilot :)

#8 Geoff-uk

Geoff-uk

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

Looking very good so far Mac.

Requiem City Lockdown Teaser Trailer: http://www.tmundergr...Teaser-Trailer-
Requiem City Lockdown Production Thread: http://www.tmoaradio...oduction-Thread

#9 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Sexy and sleek...i envy your crisp look.."mod floating around somewhere that edits the "Highest" export setting to be full 720p" - wow that would be nice...where?

#10 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

Thanks guys!

Here's the link for the resolution changer Rocco: http://www.themovies...olution-changer

I haven't used it myself - I have the very complex method I talked about above lol - but apparently you can export in up to 1440x900 :)

#11 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

Thanks guys!

Here's the link for the resolution changer Rocco: http://www.themovies...olution-changer

I haven't used it myself - I have the very complex method I talked about above lol - but apparently you can export in up to 1440x900 :)

thanks..it's in German tho...so I'm hesitant

#12 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

Yeah.. not great but Google Translate is always handy. That site is run by Fraasmovies from back on TMO so I can pretty much guarantee anything you download from there is trustworthy :)

#13 Rocco

Rocco

BRONXBROTHERS

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

Yeah.. not great but Google Translate is always handy. That site is run by Fraasmovies from back on TMO so I can pretty much guarantee anything you download from there is trustworthy :)

oh I trust the Fraas...just the translation doesn't say where to put what in which folder/ect...and I'm not smart enough to know what to do

#14 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Ok, and another update! I've been working on this a lot more regularly the past week or two and as a result have reached somewhere around the 85% mark for initial filming, just a couple of scenes left to do.

I've sent out the final version of the script to cast members and will be getting to work on editing this thing together very soon!

For now though, here are some more screenshots:

jU1VJ93.jpg

dYJgGvQ.jpg

rNjDJgi.png

Until next time! B)

• Law likes this

#15 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:29 AM

These screenshots are phenomenal! Can't wait to see the final result.

• macwemyss likes this

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#16 Carver

Carver

Pusher Man

• Moderators
  • 474 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Screenies look good, Mac!

• macwemyss likes this

#17 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Very impressed. Your new export method certainly works well, and I'm inspired by your newfound movie making mojo!
  • macwemyss likes this
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#18 Chris62

Chris62

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:22 AM

Looking Good

• macwemyss likes this

GCMk.jpg

#19 Nahton

Nahton

MovieStormer

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

That resolution looks great Mac. I've been there before myself with the creeping length of film problem. Good luck with this project, I'm looking forward to seeing it. 

• macwemyss likes this

#20 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'm excited about this project and hope you'll enjoy it when it does come out.

So today I had really hoped to be able to finish initial filming for this but because of The Movies constantly crashing it looks like I remain, frustratingly, one scene short. I'll try to work on that tomorrow and with any luck, I'll get it done then.

Ben has handed in his lines for Cooper and I think they might be some of the best he's ever done. Looking forward to hearing Joe's as well - things look as if they're going to come together very nicely.

For now though, I'll leave you with another few screenshots.

Y0gmaPQ.jpg

ushi2s3.png

FIfcitS.jpg

Until next time!

• Law likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: escape plan, macwemyss, bentuttle90, prison series, the movies, pilot, production thread, work in progress, joster285, comedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users