• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

Get busy living or get busy dying.  Your Goddamned right.  So after a year of futzing around and getting lost in future apocalyptic video games and apocalyptic national affairs I think I'm back at the directors chair trying to put together a project for Harb40s Passion (mini) Competition (and hopefully more).  The focus of the comp is to create a superhero and who knows more about superheros than kids.  So I promised Kid Millions a portion of the potential winnings if he came up with a solid idea and away we went.  Since this is a competition, I'm keeping many of the details a secret but Ill try to show a screeny or two along the way and maybe meander on about the process.  

screeny1.png

I got to say I love me some IClone Character Creator software.  Its likely the most important user improvement  ever and yet they issued it for free and with little pre-hoopla.  Well the ability to make your own characters is a big deal and its fun to boot.  I've made my protagonist and clothed him in multiple outfits and given him different tans and had a blast doing it.  Up above he is drinking some joe and scratching his butt.  Ever as it should be.  More later.

• BiggsTrek, macwemyss, Harb40 and 1 other like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Good to see you're making something new, looking forward to this (and whatever else you might have in the pipeline)! ;)

"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#3 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

I'm happy to see Kid Millions still has the writing credentials for your films. Should be an awesome collab!

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#4 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Howzit goin fellas!  Thanks for the nice words.

For this flick I was in need of some specific outdoor terrains so I dialed up Eartsculpter for the first time ages and got to work.  Here is the result from Earthsculpter and then below we got the resulting prop converted to a terrain with added water, sky, trees and such in Iclone.  Not bad for a days work.  Currently working on an alternate version of the island um...post eruption.  If I get anything fun from that Ill post a screeny.  More news as it happens (or a few days afterwards..)

3995.jpg

3999.jpg

• macwemyss, kkffoo and Law like this

#5 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

WowZers !!...can this be exported as a file format like obj or fbx?, heck, even 3ds would work.....would love to get this in TM. I can see a Kong set or a Castaways set in this...and with the current development in anm modding...who knows...

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#6 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Can definitely export you an OBJ of the terrain if you want Mike.  However, the trees and such are all speedtrees from Iclone.  Ill shoot you an email and you can decide if its of any use.

#7 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

That looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

#8 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:16 AM

Hi all.  Previous posts have been about more technical issues.  This one will more about skills.  Ive kind of known this for a while but I don't write my "scripts" in a traditional manner.  Its more like putting together a jigsaw puzzle of lines and actions that I can focus on in production and then edit together in the long run.  I have tried to write more traditional scripts.  The Sushi Ronin script was written while I was reading the first Save the Cat book and it shows as that story is more concise and well formed than most of my projects.  Additionally there are a few "Moment in the Life" films like (one of my faves) "MC Donald Steps in Poop" and there are some more tech demo films like "Biz's House of Horror".  Still when I look at films like "The Urban Explorer's Guide to Finding Yourself" or "Coney Island Whitefish", they are jigsaw puzzles and often not so coherent to the viewer as they might seem in my mind.

This particular project is another jigsaw puzzle.  Kid Millions gave me the basic ideas and I've been working on creating the collection of scenes I have in my mind since.  This has become increasingly clear as an actual writer has been sending me well written and clear scripts for a project I am looking to dive into even now.   With regards to this project I've had it clear in my mind how to get though the first third of the project but the next two thirds are a bit murky.  Now I find myself having completed that first first third and a big question mark is sitting atop my head.  

Well, there's three months left.  The puzzle should come together by then.

Thinking about the various aspects of making a movie on your own I got to thinking about how I rank out on the skills list.  Here's what I came up with...

The Idea - 8
The Script - 5 
Creation (characters and sets) - 7
Directing - 7
Editing - 7
Sound - 6
Promoter - 8

Perhaps this deserves its own thread but I wonder how folks would grade themselves and wether I might be missing any major categories on the Make your Own Movies scale....

• Law likes this

#9 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Interesting topic! I replied on Facebook with my own rankings but I think one of the major bits that always ends up making changes to my films is somewhere in the directing segment, where I'm looking at the script, thinking "how do I get this on the screen the way it is in my head"? Then I plan out the shots, shoot them and mostly end up either adding visual gags that weren't weren't there before or sacrificing things that looked good on paper but didn't translate well.

I think my main issue is I have a good imagination, so by the time the script is finished I have a very clear idea how the movie should be, and after that the process consists of a series of compromises so the finished product usually doesn't measure up to what I had planned, but by that point I just want to get the thing released

Anyway, I like your unconventional approach. Even if the stories don't always make complete sense or follow a traditional pattern, that's part of what makes your work so unique. There aren't a lot of wrong answers in film, just different ones :)

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

#10 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

Progress is happnin (however slow...the deadline is creeping up) so here's a screeny for your time:

4025.jpg

Not a lot to talk about aside from some Character Creator thoughts.  This short sleeved shirt was pretty incompatible with the tie.  There was a big part of the tie that poked behind the shirt and I couldnt make it better until I discovered some basic mesh editing tools now available in the CC. Using a basic push/pull on the mesh edges I managed to make things work and ended up rather impressed as I didnt realize mesh editing was possible in the tool.  Anywho, the short sleeve shirt and tie combo was cribbed off the Bobs from Office Space

21431_1214500767967_500_263.jpg

Ok, Back at it.

• Dulci and Law like this

#11 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:43 AM

Well, any good superhero needs a great supervillain.  I dont know that my creation is a particularly good superhero but here is his villain - Jeff and the Rock and Rollers!

4040.jpg

These characters are creations by TOKOMotion who creates some excellent Iclone creations.  I originally wanted to use them (there are five different types and all can be clothed fully in the CC app) in a short called Monster Kitchen while basing each of them in various restaurant positions (head chef, dishwasher, waiter, somalier, ect).  Maybe Ill come back to that idea some time later.  They make for good supervillain fodder here though.      

• BiggsTrek, macwemyss and Law like this

#12 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Nice, those villains look quite villainous! The rock and rollers are particularly ghastly, with as much space between their eyes as Mercury and Pluto (it's still a planet to me, damnit!)

Really looking forward to your superhero project Biz, and Monster Kitchen if you decide to do that!

#13 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Progress is happnin (however slow...the deadline is creeping up) so here's a screeny for your time:

4025.jpg

Not a lot to talk about aside from some Character Creator thoughts.  This short sleeved shirt was pretty incompatible with the tie.  There was a big part of the tie that poked behind the shirt and I couldnt make it better until I discovered some basic mesh editing tools now available in the CC. Using a basic push/pull on the mesh edges I managed to make things work and ended up rather impressed as I didnt realize mesh editing was possible in the tool.  Anywho, the short sleeve shirt and tie combo was cribbed off the Bobs from Office Space

21431_1214500767967_500_263.jpg

Ok, Back at it.

Interesting work with meshes!  I didn't know that was possible.

#14 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Dulcinea!  How the heck are ya!

#15 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Dulcinea!  How the heck are ya!

Great, thanks! And very interested what you and the youngling are cooking up here!

• kkffoo likes this

#16 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

Things have been quiet of late but Im pushing to wrap this up very soon.  I bought a cool white jacket that just might tie the room together and I have some time coming up with the added motivation of finishing this before I install Iclone 7.  So its coming down the mountain.  Soon.

• Law likes this

#17 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:47 AM

4086.jpg

View The Amazing Origins of Tsucano Here!

• Law likes this

#18 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

Looks awesome! I will try to check this out as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users