• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

A couple months back I released "Flashbacks" a film about an army medic who was struggling with PTSD and the loss of friend who died while he treated him. I made it to test out The Movies S&E, and as an exercise in storytelling without words, just sounds and visuals. It got some good responses, so since then I've been wanting to do another movie in this style. I haven't been messing with the Movies much since finishing Out of Print, so I thought this would be a good way to get back into the swing of things.

Basically, it's about a hobby photographer who is becoming extremely stressed and retreats to his cabin in the woods, without leaving a note, to have peace, quiet and good subjects for taking photos. But while there he suffers a terrible accident...

I got some filming done already, will be posting some screenshots in the coming days.
  • macwemyss and kkffoo like this

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:27 AM

This sounds solid Law.  I haven't seen Flashback so Ill make a date to watch it in the near future and I look forward to everything your involved in.  

TMU has a history with this style of film from the Trashman classic Utarefson (top 10 TMO/TMU ever) to VincentC's amazing Rogue or Genisis' Simulation.  I even set out to make my own little wordless flick long ago inspired no doubt by utarefson (theres is a trashman in the title after all).  Then,right around the time you joined us, RPO was holding a films without words competition that garnered some good entrees into this field.  This is all just to say Film On Law.  Cant wait to see what you bring to the fray!

• Law likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

Thank you Biz, looking forward to hearing what you think of Flashbacks!

I'll check out those films when I can, they may provide some inspiration, not to mention entertainment. I remember seeing all of those without words contest entries when scrolling through the videos on the site before signing up, actually made me think later on to make my own even though it was far too late enter.

I fully intend to film on good sir, glad you're looking forward to this! I was hoping to spark interest :)

#4 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

l look forward to watching your silent film, dude. :)

• Law likes this

#5 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Sounds like a good premise! If you need VOs, I'd.. oh, well never mind. Look forward to seeing more :)

• Law likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#6 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Mac! Yes, if you could record yourself saying nothing at all and send it over that'd be a big help! Haha.

Going to continue working on this later on today, perhaps I'll be able to get some screenshots on here tonight as well :)
  • Johnny Ex and Harb40 like this

#7 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:11 AM

Well, I meant to do this a couple days ago, but with my computer being on the fritz and things being a little busier than usual with some personal business, I wasn't able to get much work done on this or get some screenshots until tonight. Have about 1/4 of the filming done, about 7 minutes of footage (unedited of course, it will be cut down considerably once I move on to editing) and I have some screenshots, 5 of them! 4 of the main character who, like in Flashbacks, is unnamed. And one of his wife.

Check them out in this here link!
https://goo.gl/photo...7FdVcehcUct8SbA

That's all for now! Thanks for all the continued support! :)

• macwemyss likes this

#8 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Those photos look great!
  • Law likes this
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#9 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

Nice screenies! You're getting really good at dressing the set with props to add to the story :)

• Law likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#10 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

Thanks you guys! Appreciate the feedback and compliments :)

#11 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

Loving those screenies, dude! Like Mac said, you're getting good at set dressing. Keep it up! :)

• Law likes this

#12 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Got a little bit more filming done since I last posted, had a lot going on so there wasn't as much time for me to work on this as I hoped this, but I still worked on this every chance I got. I'd say I'm about halfway done. Currently working on the scene with the accident the main character gets involved in, trying to work out the best possible way to shoot this scene. I have the first five minute edited together already, I used the in-game editor to save time on the rendering and it ended up messing up one of the scenes I was trying to cut shorter. It's no big deal, I can always re-shoot the clip. I also have to add in a couple little bits I forgot to put in, but other that the first half of the film is done! ...well, visually at least. Still need to do the sound design. (which in a wordless film is pretty important!)

Also removed the main characters cap from all the scenes, I didn't really think it through before but the bill of the cap going through their camera would be pretty problematic for a photographer, now wouldn't it?

Anyways, stay tuned for more updates! Or else...

#13 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

Got a lot done with the sound editing tonight, been working on it for about 5 and a half hours straight and I've completed the sound for the first 4 minutes out of the 5 I have shot and edited so far. And it came out pretty darn good I think, I'm plenty satisfied. I hope y'all enjoy it whenever the movie is released. Going to try and film some more later on today, I'm done for now...

That's all, stay tuned for more updates!

#14 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Sort of hit a wall with this project, having difficulty figuring how exactly I want to make the second half, because the first half of this movie is completed.

Going to be taking a small break from it to work on other, relatively small projects. Just some short ideas, comedic ones as well as more serious ones, that I've had or may have after typing this. Working on something right now called "Temporary Eternity" that falls in the serious category. Should be done within the next week. Stay tuned!

#15 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

After a little over a month long break, I decided to get back to work on this project! As stated in the previous post, I sorta hit a wall on how to shoot the next phase of the film, but I've been working at it all day and I've got a good little bit done. Tried to experiment a little with camera movement, a tad with overlays, and in the process added some more to the story.

Really like how this is coming along! And I hope you all do too :)

Stay tuned for further updates!

#16 Chris62

Chris62

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:34 AM

nice pics

• Law likes this

GCMk.jpg

#17 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Not much has happened with this since my last update, things have been crazy lately and I haven't been able to work like I want to. But, this coming week I should be able to continue at a more steady pace for the foreseeable future. I'll finish up the sequence that I left off on, then I think I'll export what I have and continue working on the sound design and editing together the movie, which as I said in previous posts I have already done with the first 4 minutes. I think with the ambitiousness of this project, editing in chunks is the best idea for the set up I'm working with.

Stay tuned for more updates! There will be new screenshots up once I start editing the next bit.

#18 STXFilms

STXFilms

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

I love the framing in those screenshots and your general use of space! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this thing.

• Law likes this

Nick

"A Blue Butterfly Picture"

#19 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

I love the framing in those screenshots and your general use of space! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this thing.

Thank you STX, glad to hear you're interested in this project. It's certainly the most work I've put into a production yet, and hopefully it shows once it's released. Despite my last post, I haven't gotten much done on it, but that's going to change. Partly due to your comment, I'm filled with new ambition to continue working on Gone Missing, a drive which had been slowly dwindling as of late. I'm thinking harder about my framing, camerawork, and sound design than I ever have before with my previous releases. Really slaving over these scenes to make sure they look as close as possible to the vision in my head. But I'm trying not to overdo it to the point where I'm chiseling at every little detail and end up taking months and months to finish it. But this is certainly my passion project at this point, I have bigger ideas, but this the biggest one that's had significant progress.

Thank you for showing interest and support for my project, it's helping me get off my lazy butt! lol
  • STXFilms likes this

#20 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

I've yet again not made very much progress, but it was not solely through laziness this time! Been having some technical difficulties that need resolving, I think I know what to do to fix it but it may take some time. Just now I had thought that, in the meantime, I could release the first 4 minutes of the movie. It's all done with, has been for awhile, and frankly I've been desperately wanting to hear feedback on it. Because I love reading compliments and critiques alike on things that I create, but also so I can know how I could improve upon the rest of the film once I'm finally able to work on it again. Plus, I think it stops at a perfect spot, just long enough to get you interested and anticipate the release of the full feature to see what unfolds.

So how about it, would you all like to see a sneak peek of Gone Missing?

• BiggsTrek likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users