• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EightyXFry

EightyXFry

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hi All,

I'm Eighty X. Fry, a TM fan since before it was released. I'd contributed some to TMO in the day(nothing good- but I kept my old studio name, EightyFilms) and since it's removal, I've pretty much just kept to myself, though I never stopped playing or lurking around here and the many mod sites that are still active. 

This past May the 4th(Star Wars "holiday" for any non fanboys out there), I was playing through TM once again(yes, I still do that, a lot), and challenging myself to make fluid shorts using only AMM that wouldn't bankrupt my fake studio while watching the Trilogy(holiday tradition) and The Force Awakens(first time since theaters) and as one could expect- I became inspired to remake Star Wars(1977), in AMM. Needless to say, it was garbage(even by AMM standards), but while downloading mods and trying(with no success) to make a Death Star that blows up Alderaan, I soon got the urge to make a longer version outside of AMM. After searching around for free software to use and writing a basic outline, my project was born.

I call it "Star Wars in 30 minutes...." and it's pretty much just that. It's not a shot for shot remake, I did try to make it feel fresh, yet familiar without changing the story any(other than obvious cuts for a shorter runtime/lack of resources and moving scenes to different settings- sorry, Greedo). I decided against using VOs, mostly because I feel it might be too distracting to hear any of us trying to deliver iconic dialogue, so instead I did my best to make the subtitles attractive and hopefully "fun" to read(whatever that means lol). And coupled with a familiar soundtrack/SFX, recreated(familiar yet fresh) VFX/Special FX, and some AWESOME mods from some of the community greats, I think it will end up being fairly entertaining.

The name is more of a guesstimate/guideline than an actual runtime. After writing out a basic outline for a shortened version of Star Wars and watching my old VHS copy a few more times(pre-Special Edition, of course), I estimated it to be around 20-45 minutes(it's not a very reliable window but I wasn't sure at the time what content I'd be able to find as resources) and so the working title was born. However, I've said and written it so many times, that I think the name will stick as long as the runtime is within that window(especially including the credit crawl which is growing by the day).

I'm hoping to have a first cut finished by this weekend(which isn't just the holiday weekend for me, it's also my wedding anniversary, so a legitimate deadline), which I'll use to make a trailer to release here, on TMU, hopefully the following weekend. The final cut will definitely be complete by the end of the month(July), but exactly when, I can't really be sure. In the meantime, I thought I'd introduce myself(call me Eighty or Fry for short) and shamelessly promote my little project. As well as show off a poster I made for the short. I'm not much of an artist, but I think it looks good. 

I'm glad to finally join the community which I've been lurking around for so long. I'm a big fan of you guys and gals and I'll find some time to watch/rewatch/and comment on some of my favorite videos over the next few months. Can't wait to start collaborating with some kick-ass minds. 

Attached File  SWi30m Poster#7.png   1.47MB   1 downloads

• Law likes this

#2 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hey Eighty, good to have you here! Great work on the poster :)

We've got a small but dedicated community here nowadays and it's always great to see more people signing up. Looking forward to seeing what you're working on!

• EightyXFry likes this
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#3 Law

Law

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

Welcome Fry! I love Futurama so I have to call you by that nickname. Where does the name Eighty X. Fry come from?

Anyways, again, welcome to TMUnderground! I've been a member of this fine community for a little over a year now, and I'll tell you, it's been a blast! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. Although it sounds sort of interesting, I can't say this Star Wars project of yours is really going to be my cup of tea, but I still encourage you to keep working on it if that's what you want to do, as there may be some itching to drink that tea! I agree with Mac, it's nice to see new faces (even if they've actually been hiding out behind the scenes this whole time) and I hope you're here to stay! And the last sentence of your post, where you say you can't wait to start collaborating, I like that! I'm down to collaborate on something anytime, I love to collaborate, whether it be TMU related or not. Just send me a private message and we can talk about it. :)

Welcome, lol once again, to TMU Fry! Hope you have fun here!
  • EightyXFry likes this

#4 EightyXFry

EightyXFry

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas! 

As for the pseudonym, Law, it's sort of a long story. So, I'm sorry to make you sorry that you asked lol... Eighty has been the name I use in video games for almost as long as I can remember(even on TMO in the day, my studio was EightyFilms). I go by my initials in real life, A.D. and in school some people had trouble understanding that(actually, some people still do lol), and when they'd overheard me and my friends talking, they would think I was being called Eighty, like the number. Overtime it just kinda stuck and became my go-to video game handle since. However a few years ago I played a game that required a middle and last name(the game was Star Trek Online, for those curious) and after little thought(I'd thought about using Fox in honor of Mulder of X-files, but) I went with Fry, being a HUGE Futurama fan myself. The X is also stolen from Futurama and stands for nothing. I stole it from one of the co-creators, David X. Cohen, who explained that he chose the initial(when he couldn't use his own due to the Writer's Guild already having a David Cohen and a David S. Cohen) because it sounds "Science Fiction-y". I agree and liked it so much, I stole it for my Video Game moniker. 

And Law, I will almost definitely be taking you up on that offer! This community (just like TMO) seems to be a great place to find creative minds to collaborate with and that may be just what I need lol. Even better than TMO, however, it seems as if most of the childish, hackie, immature folks that clung to that community have been weeded out over the years, leaving the more creative folks to work together.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and again, I can't wait to begin some collaboration with you guys and I look forward to a long time spent with this community!

• Law likes this

#5 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

Welcome Eighty!

Being a huge Star Wars fan, I have made several modds for TM. Costumes, vehicles and props. Need anything, just gimme a shout.

Later

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#6 EightyXFry

EightyXFry

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks, Mike!

I've noticed from some of your additions to 8EB, that you're a fan of a lot of the same things as I, haha. I'm pretty close to wrapping it up, but if I run into anything I'll definitely hit you up. Without looking at my ever growing credits list, I think it's a safe bet your name is in there next to a mod, I have a lot of yours downloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users