4 replies to this topic

#1 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGalveston Texas

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

Were you under the impression that texture files in The Movies had to be in direct draw (.dds) format?  Well so was I.  While fitting one of my stars in the makeover room with her new vintage aviator cap, I accidentaly loaded a texture file in portable network graphics (.png) format. 

It worked fine.

Attached Files

#2 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

Very nice hat, loving the retro look with the goggles too. There is a very sound reason why you should use the DDS format as a general rule.

The DDS format is optimized for gaming because it has a user scalable Mip-map option. Mip-maps are a form of screen space scalability feature based on a texture's distance from the game's camera.

Ex: a 4096 x 4096 DDS texture will automatically only render at a 1x1pixel mip level (in the video card memory) if it is so far it is barely visible, but it will gradually upscale as it gets closer up to its maximum memory space. The format also support special compression schemes to push the optimization to its full limit with some image degradation as a result (Some games actually use this degradation as a style option). It is also hardware optimized by its default power of two mode so it uses only and all of the logical video memory space. That is why most game studios, game engines and video cards manufacturers love it so much.

That said, a lot of other file formats will work. I have successfully used (like you, by accident, thanks to Blender's way of keeping every textures in the projects) JPGs, PNGs, Tiffs and BMPs. They are not the most memory allocation friendly formats because they are not locked into a power of two ratio. A PNG with a pixel size of 512 x 513 will eat up a 1024 x 1024 memory chunk because of that 1 pixel difference. It adds up. It also has no Mip-map settings so it will always use that 1024x1024 memory allocation no matter how small it is, even down to a 1x1 pixel screen space size :wacko: .So you definitely can use other file formats but keep that in mind. ^_^

BTW for those of you new to game modding, the power of two rule goes something like this:

To be fully optimized in the video card's memory, images must be set in a size and ratio that is a multiple of 8 pixels squared:

8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096 and if you have a monster video card with a bazillion GB :blink:  of video RAM you can go higher.

The DDS algorithm will compress the mip-maps down further to 1x1, 2x2 and 4x4.

Sorry Lefty for hijacking your thread, I just got carried away...modding does that. :D

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#3 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Go crazy!

#4 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

I see that MED enforces the dds only rule, so I guess that settles it for once and all.

#5 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

If you create/moddify all the support files by hand you can skip Med for props, they are mostly text files and exporting from Blender with the non-dds file is possible. Not recommended but possible.

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users