Photo
- - - - -

One Hell of a rough time with Heaven sets

modding help needed bad design game crashing bugs animation heaven sets graphics

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

I may have to cancel two of my movie-making projects because the only appropriate sets either crash the game (MFE's mod) or don't look right (this one from TheMovies3D is a plain white blob that overpowers most of the scenery). If I could just figure out how that swirly-cloud animation in MFE's mod worked, I'd try to build a Heaven set of my own:  pearly gates with golden stairs leading earthward, props that an angel or St. Peter might handle, and so forth.  Too bad my graphic-design skills are so bad that I flunked art in high school! *sigh*

:wheelchair: Ingeborg S. Nordén
Studio names:  Second Take Studios (comedy/action), New Look Cinemas (horror/sci-fi), Rose Pictures (romance/unofficial genres)

#2 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

I downloaded the heaven sets from the two links, I'm going to check them out and see why they fail. Might just be a missing file or something of that nature. If you have some graphic references about the kind of set dressing props you need i could build them for you.

EDIT!!

I checked  and they work on my rig. The sets are rather bright, especially the more complex one from Frass. The lighting options work but are limited to basic color grading to dark grey-ish, dark blue and orange sunset. There are some very bright artifacts on the ground and i am not sure if they are super bright by design or some of the textures are missing. I will have to investigate further if you wish to keep them. The floor is a striped down version of another set and it looks like it has boulders...a re-textured desert set maybe? The weather options do work so you have access to the fog, rain, wind settings. It has possibilities.

The MFE heaven set is very simple, mostly a re-texture with a simple plane to represent a clouded floor. Not really system heavy to crash a game, so i am wondering how the crash occurs. The swirly textured floor is easy to adjust if you know your way around Med (The Movies Editor). It is a simple number (speed rotation) that you adjust to your preferences. It is just a value set at 26..a good speed but might be a touch too fast...I set it at 12 and it has a nice sense of scale. But it is a very basic simple set that could use an overlay to make it more atmospheric. The lighting and weather sliders do not work on this set so you are stuck with the default lighting in this instance.

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#3 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Each of those sets has a feature I want to use; the ideal Heaven set for my projects would combine the best of both.

1. Fraas' set is the right size to fit more characters and props in it; it also allows lighting changes and includes a backdrop.  (Weather in the normal sense seems odd for Heaven, although fog could work as an extension of  the clouds...and there are comedies with characters who pray for a weather change, with a miraculous response as seen from above.)
  2. MFE's set has better colors and an eye-catching animation which feels more celestial than Fraas' rocky cloudscape.
  3. If we deleted the too-earthly set dressing (plants and rocks) and added a selection of overlays for the sky, that would help set the mood better.  A rainbow, twinkling stars, a flash of lightning, rays of divine light (single or multiple) might work as overlays.

I've spent most of today hunting for images that could become props and set-dressing in a Heavenly modpack:  musical instruments, church supplies, blinged-up furniture.  (My most ambitious filming idea:  a series about a visionary, demon-hunting priest in the American Southwest, who gets mission assignments from a guardian angel.  The working title is Calling Father Martinez.)

I'll submit more of my potential prop-graphics later, possibly in a new topic; but for now, here are a few candidates from the top of the list:  pearly gates, golden keys, thrones, trumpets with banners.

Attached Files

• Johnny Ex likes this

Studio names:  Second Take Studios (comedy/action), New Look Cinemas (horror/sci-fi), Rose Pictures (romance/unofficial genres)

#4 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Hi again,

Got the references all downloaded and I looked into modifications on the Frass set. I think having a couple of floating, slightly transparent swirly cloudy layers above a very plain floor will do the trick. I will look into adjusting the white balance on the default light-map texture. It is really overbearing. I can also look into making more variations in tint for those light-maps in case a specific look is needed.

Sky backdrops are also in the works. I'm thinking a series of day to night transitions might work as a looping animation...not quite sure how to go about it but it would be fun.

I was wondering about how you edit and maybe post process your movies. I use After Effects and Blender to add special effects and most post process work. A lightning strike is super easy in AE or Blender and much, much more controllable than an overlay.

I will post an update on the props as they get done. Some are easy and I will need to know how they are going to be used (hand held, static set dressing, animated, etc). I will try to make the heavenly gate steps be able to conform to some of the stairs climbing game animations. Shouldn't be too hard....

Later

#5 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thank you for getting back to me; if you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here.  I truly appreciate your willingness to help; your name belongs in the credit roll for my new series.

I use the Steam download of MAGIX Movie Edit Pro for most of my post-production edits, and Sony Vegas for DVD authoring.  Hope that helps some; I know keeping multiple editing programs is weird, but no one program has all the features I need easily available.  *shrug*

Most of the non-furniture props for the new Heaven set should be hand-held (an angel should be able to pick up a trumpet and blow; St. Peter should be able to put a key in the gates and open them).  If an object looks too big or bulky for an actor to lift, it's a static prop (so far, the thrones and gates qualify).

#6 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:50 AM

speaking of gates.....

4366.png

Hows that?

• Johnny Ex and Ingeborg S. Nordén like this

#7 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

speaking of gates.....

4366.png

Hows that?

Could be a bit lighter (I liked the white-marble look in the original pic, although I understand that some darkening ia needed to keep white objects from creating too much glare).  Otherwise -- great job as usual.  Keep up the good work!

#8 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Update time......

4370.png

and work on the Trumpet

4373.png

Going to tackle the set soon.

#9 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

Awesome so far!  :D

#10 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:08 AM

Update again

4378.png

I hope it looks this good in the game.

#11 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Awesome job so far...Fr. Martinez' first vision of Heaven is gonna blow his mind!

#12 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

More handheld prop material coming:  what's a choir of adoring angels without musical instruments?  (A user on 8EyedBaby already made a harp prop.)

Attached Files

#13 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:51 AM

Been busy for the last few hours...

4387.png

I have been wondering about the type of props that they should be exported as and what animations they will be used in. Some can be carried like briefcases, other like weapons but it does depend on the scene animations. Maybe I will have to make custom animations...gonna have to give a shout to Lefty or SexyMaria at some point for their expertise.

As you can see i modified the banner on the trumpet a bit and i was wondering if it had any graphic element like a crest or decoration on it. how about color variations?

• Johnny Ex and Carver like this

#14 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

Color variations would be good (blue/purple/green/red); I also searched for some clipart religious insignia to put on the banners.  The simplest, most striking choices were the ones in the first attached .zip file.

Incidentally, during the clipart search I also found some aerial footage of clouds and sunlight which would make a great animated background if I could just get rid of the watermarks.  ($49 for a ten-second video?  Sheesh!)

Attached Files

#15 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:12 AM

Been working on upgrading the Frass Heaven Set

-The backdrop has been upgraded to 2K textures

-The ground has been cleaned of all rocks, plants and other debris

-I added two plane extensions in front of the backdrop to have a double layered scrolling cloud formation across the set

-The light-maps where leveled to a point where they don't become blown out like the originals but still maintain a good contrast.

- the ground texture has a slight scroll and twist motion added. It is not very noticeable but it is there.

One thing i cannot get rid of is the blocky look the  default light-map is giving off on the ground. I tried every trick in the book and it still comes off a bit low res. I tend to think it might be a game engine related issue. It is a 2006 game after all.

Made a video of it

• Ingeborg S. Nordén likes this

#16 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:10 AM

Awesome work; now the set looks like Heaven (Hollywood style, at least) and not a bad case of snowblindness.  :-)

You mentioned creating new scenes for use with the instrument props:  were you thinking something like "one musician plays"/"multiple musicians play"/"group sings"?  Those would actually work well on any set where live music is part of the onstage action (such as a nightclub); you'd just need new instrument-props to match the location and performers.

In a similar vein, it occurred to me that we could tweak the UFO/tractor beam scene from the Miniature City set to create a Divine Ascension scene :  swap out the spinning spaceship for a largish white cloud prop, and the tractor beam for a sun-like ray of holy light.  If that's doable without a huge effort, it would hejp divine characters exit  in style.

#17 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

I wasn't thinking about it but it makes sense. Not sure how to go about making sets of animations as part of an option one could select...not sure it can be done in game.....well.....i'll have to check it out. Turning the ufo blaster beam scene is a cool idea..i will check that out.

Edit: I looked at the scene and it is a bit more difficult because of the fire and sparks effects. Not sure how to turn these off or even modifying them.. Might be easier to just use After Effects or some other video editor that supports image manipulation and transitions to create the clouds and light beam.

#18 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

I wasn't thinking about it but it makes sense. Not sure how to go about making sets of animations as part of an option one could select...not sure it can be done in game.....well.....i'll have to check it out. Turning the ufo tractor beam scene is a cool idea..i will check that out.

There are apps for creating new scenes (although I'm not sure how much change they allow) --

Scene Reblocker

FLM Reader Zero

After creating those scenes, you'd just need to associate them with the right set ID number(s) and include a "scene" folder in the modpack.  Hope this helps!

• Johnny Ex likes this

#19 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Been busy for the last few hours...

4387.png

I have been wondering about the type of props that they should be exported as and what animations they will be used in. Some can be carried like briefcases, other like weapons but it does depend on the scene animations. Maybe I will have to make custom animations...gonna have to give a shout to Lefty or SexyMaria at some point for their expertise.

As you can see i modified the banner on the trumpet a bit and i was wondering if it had any graphic element like a crest or decoration on it. how about color variations?

Most of the stuff looks really nice, but if I may, the "trompette" body should be thiner, the pavillion a bit flatter and the embouchure smaller.

A bit like this:  trompette.png  (If you want it, I can send it to you.)

And what is this thing at the bottom left of the picture?

• Ingeborg S. Nordén likes this
“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#20 Ingeborg S. Nordén

Ingeborg S. Nordén

Sandbox Dilettante

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

The lower-left item is a handbell, though its clunky solid-metal design isn't so typical.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modding, help needed, bad design, game crashing, bugs, animation, heaven, sets, graphics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users