10 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

I feel remiss that I didn't mention this earlier.  I did post on Facebook and got a few people talking about it but feel the need to get feedback from the full community.

Back in November 2005 a game hit the shelves called The Movies worldwide. It was a tycoon style game where you had to run a movie studio and it allowed you to make movies and upload them to the developer's website. Lionhead Studios even went so far as to hold contests and even gave away a new car as one of the prizes.

Well, some people just played the game but some saw it for what it really was, a movie making tool with a game attached. Some smart people started learning the codes and how to manipulate the game and brought in some new stuff like redesigned production sets, clothing, hair and more. Some even broke some of the coding and that opened up things even further. Then Linehead brought out an expansion pack called Stunts And Effects which took us to a whole new level with a freecam (you could put cameras where you wanted them and move them instead of the static cameras and limited movement of the original program. Some really great videos were made by some really talented people.

Some people only stuck around for a short time where others made it a life choice. Some went into tv production, one is receiving awards for his short films and musical scores for independent films. They started out as teenagers (some as young as 10) and now are adults with ambitions.

One of those people created a website to upload your movies to and had a community forums attached so people could collaborate and share ideas. Lionhead Studios stopped supporting the game in very short fashion but thanks to a guy named Ken White, aka Kuroken, we still had a place to go.

England, Scotland, France, Spain, Japan, Brazil, Israel, Germany, the USA, Australia and other countries were well represented. Most of us have never met face to face but have developed relationships through social media. Some even bonded with long term close friendships. Some just like staying in touch with those that had the game. As time went on new programs came on the market (iClone, Moviestorm, Muvizu, Plotagon, etc.) and expanded the abilities to make videos and increase the talent level. We are of different cultures, political beliefs, genders, ethnicities and more yet we come together like no others really have.

It still amazes me that 14 years later there are over 100 in those countries that stay connected by one means or another. How 1 little game could unite so many is mind boggling.

• BiggsTrek, Johnny Ex, MikeDBoing and 4 others like this

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

And here we are 9 days later and THIS is the first reply.
What a shame.
I miss the good ol days.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk
  • Harb40 likes this
Posted Image

#3 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

Yes, very sad.

#4 Zeke365

Zeke365

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

yes it is but most if not everyone has moved away from this platform. All good things must come to an end before something new arises. 

#5 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGalveston Texas

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

If you build it, they will come.

#6 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

We had a good run.

• Harb40 likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#7 ftoons

ftoons

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

This is the best game ever. A game that truly makes our dreams of being a storyteller come true.

Two years ago I finished making a mystery film which was more than two hours and a half long. I wish I could show it to you but it's in Spanish :(

This game is really amazing. It's become a really big part in my life and I am looking forward to continue making movies with it.

Cheers from a Spanish member!

• Harb40 likes this

#8 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:29 AM

Hey ftoons.  Been a long time.

If you have it uploaded somewhere, does that site have captions like YouTube?  Some translations don't always come out perfect but I am pretty sure we would get the jist of it.

#9 ftoons

ftoons

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

Hi!

Sure, I have all my films (two feature lengths and one short film) uploaded to YouTube. I might upload them here if you'd like to watch them! Maybe YouTube could generate subtitles automatically, but I don't know if they will be any good.

Cheers, mate!

• Harb40 likes this

#10 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:15 PM

I am sure there are many who would love to see them.

#11 Artorious

Artorious

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

loved this game and the community!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users