No replies to this topic

#1 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGalveston Texas

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:20 AM

It was Sexymaria that sparked my interest in digging into the Blender Game Engine.  I tried to find something she wrote about it, but this fragment of a conversation on TMUnderground is all I have found so far.

Zeke365

Members
    358 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

This just thought I had the other day, the movies game was excellent for it time and still is, I hope there still movie modders around to but have you ever thought of incorporating all the knowledge you have for making the mods for the movies and actually create game based on what you learned from the movies game. This could add extra tool set, scenes, mods are made and still being made into game engine and upgrade the software for modern time because you guys are already at the breaking point that you could do something like this.

It just thought easier said than done.

sexymaria

Members
    244 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

It would be the time. The Movies had a lot of things right for machinima.
The skin textures. Everything being interchangeable.
I don't think that the game itself drew too many development resources away from the movie making.
If anything the game came second and utilized what the movie making already deployed.
Is it necessary? No, but a nice touch.
What I mean is that it some ways it would be reinventing the wheel.
Surely it needs to be done.
However such an undertaking would be far more suited as a commercial endeavor.
They have the teams and the resources to make a something as great as the Movies.
But there is a way to do just what you said with the existing tools.
It would take some creative python scripts to make Blender into a movie studio that utilizes not only the Movies content, but anything we place in the 3D folders. (once prepared right)
And Blender, at least 2.49b, had the ability to export the whole thing as a game.
Blender makes games.
And I've said it before and will say it now, it doesn't have to be a game that Blender exports, but a tool.
Maybe other tools have been made in the same way... MakeHuman?
Blender can do all of this on the fly if need be. The hardest part is scenes need to be made from scratch.
Python to the rescue, DcModding was working on an animation script that would import the Movies animations.
But this script getting off the ground never took flight.
As much as your idea is fantastic, Zeke, the sober lesson here is that it would be better for individuals to learn Blender's movie making capabilities. Or another 3D program.
And I believe there are available to download libraries of animations already.
Blender doesn't look inviting, trust me, but it is very direct and immediately powerful to those who know how to use it.
Most of anything Blender does can be accomplished with one to three button presses.
The hardest part, I believe, for the beginner is getting off the ground.
Should we make another Movie making tool? Blender may already be it.
Since it has great advantages over The Movies, iClone and Moviestorm

But, should we make another Movies game?
Yes. If only the universe gave us more time.
I love the question Zeke. Maybe somebody else has a better answer.
We can sure hope.

The question raised above is whether it would be better to use BGE as a movie making tool, or just go with the regular Blender Render to make movies.  After making a couple of fairly simple games, I am beginning to see that BGE might have some advantages as a movie making tool, even though it does not provide the high quality renders that the normal Blender Render does.  One advantage is that it would allow you to view your scene in real time, just as it would appear in the final product.  Also, you could program in variations in how a scene plays, much as the movies game does.  As for the lower quality renders, the interesting fact is that the appearance of the final video is compatible with the output of The Movies Game itself, therefore you could mix and match renders created inside The Movies with those made in BGE without jarring the viewer's sense of continuity.

The blender game engine does not appear to have a built in way to record the output, however, I have found that if you run the "game" in windowed mode, you can use Camtasia to capture the visual and audio.  For example, if you set the game framing parameters to a size slightly larger than the desired frame size, you can use Camtasia to capture the 1536x864 frame size that you are using for your Movies Game output.

After weeks of struggling and trying to figure out the Blender Game Engine, I recently discovered the documentation for the Blender Game Engine is right there in 2.49b Blender manual pages.  You just have to scroll down all the way to the end.  It is not complete.  Some of the sections apparently never got written, but what is there reveals that the potential power is much greater than I had suspected.  For example, you can do dynamic texture switching!  You can set up commands to change lighting or cameras, you can dynamically change scales of objects or characters.

It isn't easy, but when you get something to work, the reward in personal satisfaction is significant.

As part of the effort to learn how to use the Blender Game Engine (BGE) I put together a flight simulation game using assets from The Movies bv Lionhead (RIP).  The current version is available here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users