Photo
- - - - -

Crazy idea - The Movies Only Contest (no external editing)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

Hey All,

I just had a crazy idea for a contest (in theory.)  What about a movie competition using The Movies just like we used to do back in TMO.  That is, no external editing, and maybe just using the assets supplied by Lionhead?

As I said, it might seem crazy to go that retro, but I know for a lot of us (myself included) that's where it all started, and that's what got me interested in this hobby (which I still haven't given up on entirely, btw.)

Too crazy to consider?  I know it's suuuuper quiet these days, so I doubt I'll see much interest.  But it can't hurt to talk about it.

Of course, I don't even have The Movies on this PC, but I think I have it installed on at least one of my older PCs in the back room.  So yeah, I might even be able to do something.

Thoughts?

• Johnny Ex likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#2 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

Getting TM on this machine is a non starter for me as there no disks in this house.  Im up for something simple if it extended beyond TM though.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

Getting TM on this machine is a non starter for me as there no disks in this house.  Im up for something simple if it extended beyond TM though.

Yeah, not having the discs, or even having them but your PC not being compatible anymore (my case - not sure the older PC actually would work), would be a huge hurdle for the idea I suggested.

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#4 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationEarth, Sol System

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

The tech side is definitely a huge hurdle. Win 10 keeps making it harder as they remove support for basic functions that the game relies on. Even in " compatibility mode" it will either crash on not run. I am lucky to have a Win 7 machine as my daily driver. I even went so far as to try running the game under Linux Mint with Wine...no go so far but interestingly, Starmaker works. The modd tools don't work either but I keep trying. I can feel it being just out of reach, if only I knew what to connect in the Wine preferences to get the different libraries to load. Linux is super powerful but, dang it, it is not for the coding illiterate like me....  hmmmm...maybe Lefty could.........

• BiggsTrek likes this

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#5 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGalveston Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

I was able to run The Movies on my new windows 10 laptop.  It is a Lenovo Ideapad S340.  The installaton works, but the disk version will not run because the DRM system is not supported in windows 10.  After you install the game from the disks, you replace the executable with a no-cd version. 

https://www.dropbox....viesse.zip?dl=0

• BiggsTrek likes this

#6 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:30 PM

I decided to see if I could get TM to install on my PC.  Lefty made it sound easy!  But it took a while to find the discs!  I've got two copies of TM and S&E in the house, and the first pair were missing two discs (Disc 1 of TM and the S&E disc).  But I eventually found the other boxes, and all the discs were there.  *phew*

I then went through the install process, first TM then S&E.  Then copied the .exe Lefty supplied (above) and guess what?  It worked!  No real problems at all.  Windows 10 seems to be OK with it.  So far at least.

I haven't done much with it, other than try the quick intro to the studio lot, played with the a settings little, then a quick look at the movie editor.  No glitches.  In fact, I've never seen TM perform so well before.

I think I'm going to actually play the game for a while (which I really haven't done since I got it.  Maybe 2 days back in 2006.)

This is going to be fun!

AND, I really am digging the music once again.  It's like an old friend...

• Johnny Ex and lefty2000 like this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users