• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

So here's the thing:  Many years ago, I started working on a sequel to the classic 50's sci-fi film, Forbidden Planet.  This was back when I was using The Movies full time.  I know this as the notes I have list all the props and costumes I would need, (including extensive use of overlays!) and I think that was what stopped me pursuing this.  It was just too much.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when Kwis posted something about Forbidden Planet in Facebook.  It got me all boned up again about doing the film.  Thanks Kwis!

I've re-read the script outlines I made, and I still like the premise.  For the record, I have one basic premise, but had two very different settings that I was considering.  One would have been set immediately after the events of the original film, and the other was basically a generation after (using the son (and grandson) of JJ Adams and Altaira.)  I think I prefer the first one, but the other has some merit as well.  Oh, and I had a couple of different endings written down, too.  Both quite dark, actually.  May need to lighten them up a tad.  So I'm still thinking on this.

Anyway, it's not a done deal at this time.  If I do it, it will be in iClone (v6, as I still haven't upgraded due to system constraints.)  And it will be a LOT of work if I use the story I have at the moment.  Which means a LOT of time.  And frankly, I'm not sure I want to delve that deep back into movie making again.

So I might opt to do it in parts.  Not something I like to do, normally, but it might make the going easier (smaller goals are always easier to achieve, right?!)

Anyway, that's it for now.  I need to go re-watch the film again, and re-read the book.  And the script (transcript of the original film that I found years ago, which is formatted pretty ugly... but better than nothing.)

Stay tuned for more, if it happens.

Cheers!

BiggsTrek

• Johnny Ex and Killian like this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#2 Killian

Killian

Hello, TMU, I'm baaackkkk!

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, UK

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

"Monsters, Phil! Monsters from the Id!"

That is all I can say... except of course I'm all over this like a bug on a windshield and any assistance I can provide, just ask.

I'd suggest you break it into parts if the thought of trying to do it all in one go is onerous or puts you off trying to do it at all.

• BiggsTrek likes this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#3 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

"Monsters, Phil! Monsters from the Id!"

That is all I can say... except of course I'm all over this like a bug on a windshield and any assistance I can provide, just ask.

I'd suggest you break it into parts if the thought of trying to do it all in one go is onerous or puts you off trying to do it at all.

Thank you, Sir.  I will undoubtedly take you up on your generous offer!

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#4 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

I'm still holding out for your adaption of At The Mountains of Madness, but this'll do in the meantime ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#5 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

I'm still holding out for your adaption of At The Mountains of Madness, but this'll do in the meantime ;)

I almost hit the "Report" button when I read that...

And anyway, it's Gabe's fault!  (He's not here, right?  Good...)

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#6 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:43 PM

I almost hit the "Report" button when I read that...

And anyway, it's Gabe's fault! (He's not here, right? Good...)

Don't forget; all your report are belong to us.... notice the badge? ;)

#7 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • LocationEarth, Sol System

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:31 PM

If you need some stuff custom made, let me know. Since the last crash I got to making more stuff for killian than I did for myself in quite some time and as the old saying goes: strike the modder when he's hot......at least that's the part I remember.

• BiggsTrek likes this

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#8 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:19 AM

Wow sounds pretty cool Biggs! I'd be all over this like a rash too...if you needed anything at all from me! Meanwhile I'll be in my kwis shed playing with my Robby Robot.. ;)

#9 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:40 AM

...you'll go blind!
  • kwistufa likes this

#10 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thank you all for your interest and help!  I am actually thinking of using you (Kwis) as Cookie (if you remember that guy).  I think he survived the first film... right?  Really need to re-watch it.

Anyway, I am going over my script outline and trying to fix up some inconsistency/continuity problems.  Whilst re-reading the original book and going over the old screenplay.

And I've looked at some necessary props as well.  Got a cool one in my shopping cart as I speak (new ship named 'Perseus').

Fun!

• Johnny Ex likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#11 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:24 PM

Consider me stoked :)

#12 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

Re-watched the movie yesterday.  It's still quite brilliant, all these years on.  Also saw that Cookie DID survive!  As well as the Bosun (who I think they called Steve?  Need to check the transcript on that) so they will both be coming onboard my sequel in some way.

Also starting looking at props and costumes.  Found a base costume I think I can modify to something close to the original uniform.  Also found that trying to find anything for IC6 and CC1 is a bit hard, now that they are out of date.  Well, there are plenty of earlier version iClone props available, but character creator V1 has very little on offer.  But as I said, I found one or two that will work.  Hope it will be enough.

So that's it!  Still reviewing/rewriting the outline.  I want to add some "stuff" to it (little extras that might not be story related, but would help capture the spirit of the original.)

Carry on!!

• Killian likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#13 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like you're starting to get back into "The Zone", Phil.... glad to see the enthusiasm is still boiling away!
  • BiggsTrek likes this

#14 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:33 PM

A little non-election update ('cause we all need a break from that stuff).

Still working on the script.  Having some issues with it, but as I have a long weekend coming up tomorrow (4 days!) that should help me tackle it.

At the same time, I'm working on costumes.  Robby is now built.  Looks pretty darn cool, too.  Tweaked the one I made up years ago for the Poster contest.  Better animation, better textures.  Looking forward to using him!  Also have the main uniform for the crew about 80% done.  Tricky one, as I said earlier (finding stuff for CC1 ain't easy).  But it looks pretty good, imo.

Haven't done anything for Altaira yet, but anything sexy and slinky with lots of star sapphires will work, I'm sure.  ;)

Did I mention that there was a C-57D for sale on the Marketplace?  (That's the ship/saucer, for those that's aren't geeky enough to know it.  Killian would, for sure...)  It's great!  Animated landing legs and middle pylon thingy, too.  It'll work a treat with only a little fiddling of the textures, I think (too shiny imo).

That's it for now!  I'm back to staring at a map change colour.

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#15 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

Admit it; you missed all that stuff while you were "away" :)
  • BiggsTrek likes this

#16 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:24 AM

Wish I knew how to embed videos here.  But for now, why not watch a little test footage of Robby walking and speaking.

https://youtu.be/Oy5maZBW9R0

I managed to come up with a workable system to animate his vocal grill using a video glow map.

I also rebuilt his torso, and reshaped his glass dome to better match the way he looks in the original movie.  Oh, and made all the bits that are meant to rotate - rotate (were static in my version 'til I saw them spinning in the film, so I just had to do it, too!)

Fun fact:  I watched a couple of Youtube documentaries on Robby, and I knew he'd been in a couple of films and TV shows since his debut in Forbidden Planet, but was shocked to see how many times that really was!  And the various versions of him that there are of him (different heads, and bodies!)

Enjoy!

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#17 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:08 AM

Oooo very cool!

"I rarely use it myself sir......It promotes RUST!"

#18 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

Rewatched over the weekend; holds up surprisingly well even after all these years. It's a classic for a reason, after all!
  • BiggsTrek likes this

#19 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

Lo and Behold, the script is done!  (Well, the first bit anyway.)

As I alluded to earlier, making this in smaller parts is a much less demanding task for me these days, so as I was writing the script, I hit a spot early on that I thought would make a great ending to the first part.  So I am now declaring the script for Part One (Chapter One?) complete!

Which is good, as I was seeing this as a bigger and bigger movie as I wrote out the dialogue (getting a bit wordy, I was, but liked what I was writing.)

I guess I will now go back to creating the characters.  I have made costumes, but not attempted to model any faces, which will be challenging if I try to perfectly replicate the original actors.  So I will likely opt to just have similar faces.  Just imagine a modern day remake with recast roles.  That's the way I'm thinking of it, anyway.

Oh, and I tweaked Robby a bit after seeing a better version of him.  Now he's got even more moving parts!  (I have to admit, I like playing with that sort of thing... so that's good!)

That's it for now!

Cheers!

• Killian likes this

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#20 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted Today, 07:57 PM

Quickie update!

Been working on costumes and characters still.  Mostly happy with them, but may re-do JJ Adams as he's not quite right.  We'll see, though.

Also did the opening shot of the Cruiser C-57D.  Looks pretty good, if I say so myself.  It leads into the opening credits, which I'm aiming to mimic the original movie's.

Pretty sure the title of the film will be "FORBIDDEN PLANET - CHILDREN OF THE KRELL" as I had to make it in Sketchup to film in the credits sequence.  (Better to decide now, rather than mess about as I did with my "Justice" western.)

That's it, short and quick!  (be quiet, you Platypus...)

GodivaBanner02.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users