Photo
- - - - -

Fortune and Glory - Parts One and Two now available!

Pulp Fortune and Glory

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Killian

Killian

Hello, TMU, I'm baaackkkk!

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, UK

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:09 AM

Yes, folks; 9 years in the making (give or take a bit... figuratively speaking anyway!)...

Inspired by Biggsy's recent silent(ish) upload, I decided to "iron out" my rusty wrinkles (ooo errr matron!) by cobbling together... this.

With the use of some cribbed newsreel footage, music tracks ripped from the TM library, some exceptionally cheesy dialogue (all on cards; it IS supposed to be nearly silent, after all!), and a sprinkling of Magix (see what I did there? I'll get me coat later....), it has become manifest.

I might continue it if people like it; if nothing else, it's helped "uncramp" my moviemaking muscles a bit after such a long time :)

Enjoy (or not as the case may be) Fortune and Glory Part One..!

• Johnny Ex likes this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#2 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

Quoting myself:

Now that was a heap load of FUN!  I've always wanted to do something like that (B&W Detective Noir thing).  It's wonderful!

Can't wait to see how it pans out.  Hope I won't have to wait too long.

(And it even made me learn to read faster... :) )

Bravo!

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#3 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

Yeah the cards were a little fast; I'll sort that out for part 2. Glad you liked it; was fun to roll out the old TM again and try to tell a cheesy serial type story without resorting to mods or anything too technical. Plus it enables me to get it shot and out pretty fast.

Helps a lot to get me back into the routine before I start to take on something a bit more ambitious:)
  • BiggsTrek and Johnny Ex like this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#4 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:25 AM

Well, apparently YouTube has no sense of pulp action, as they have taken down the version I uploaded there for, apparently, "hate speech"!!!! I can only imagine it was due to the newsreel footage I used at the beginning... but... wow! That's a first!

Naturally I've appealed; am presuming it's been "struck off" by an overly cautious AI algorithm because of the section of the Hitler speech and the German Army newsreel footage that I used at the beginning as "scene setting"; am still a bit shocked that it could be construed as "hate speech" (that said, as I don't speak German, I've got no idea what he's actually saying in that section of the speech, so I suppose I could have picked something bad by accident when trawling for the footage and not realised it; it is Hitler, after all!)

#5 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

Wow, really?  Well that's not good.  And yeah, maybe you captured something a bit "tasteless" in the speech.  Perhaps you could put some german gibberish over the top of it instead?  "Mine Fader ist a mule!"

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#6 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

"I am a doughnut" might be more appropriate ;) .

I've appealed against the decision so will see what they say. They don't exactly give you a lot of room in the box to tell them why you think they've been a little heavy handed!

UPDATE - They turned down the appeal, so am now waiting for them to tell me what the issue was so I can fix it (you'd think they'd tell you when they first take it down, or on appeal, but nooooo...)

• BiggsTrek likes this

#7 lefty2000

lefty2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationGalveston Texas

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

I like the playful, sardonic tone of the first episode.  In my opinion, it is a mistake to try to get too serious and heavy when the whole object of the producer as well as the consumer is to have fun.  The style of "The Movies" is actually a caricature of the movie business and movies themselves.

Episode 1 leaves me with the burning question: What the hell is under the ground in Unterbaden?  Not to advance the story beyond this point would be a great disappointment.

#8 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the comments, gents! As I had to reinstall TM to correct the dodgy copy of my back up data folder in prep for the Deep War project, I'm currently back to Vanilla TMS&E anyway, so should looking to get Episode 2 out by this weekend sometime... stay tuned!
  • BiggsTrek likes this

#9 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

Fortune and Glory Part Two is now available; a couple of rough bits as I rushed to try to get this out before the weekend was over, and (as it's been half-term over here and have had to take a week off to look after my daughter)I didn't have as much time to work on it as I would have liked.  Still, it's there for your enjoyment, or lack thereof :)

Part Two on Vimeo

Not risking uploading this series to YT after the first time, so this one will be Vimeo only until it concludes (in a couple more weeks, I reckon).

#10 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

To quote myself yet again:

That was a hoot!  The plot thickens, as do the subtitled accents!  Love it, and I want more!  MORE!

You heard the man.  More, please Killian!

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#11 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:36 PM

Glad your enjoying it!

Slight setback in that my PC tried to update Windows this evening and choked on the restart (think my hard drive is dying as boot sectors been making some weird noises the last few weeks); had to hard reset it and now I can't get it to finish booting, so there may be a delay in any further movie making progress while I sort that out.... grrr!

#12 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

Well, I managed to nurse my PC back into life, just in time for my headset to die a death during a Teams meeting... replacement arriving tomorrow so hoping to get some work done on Part 3 then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pulp, Fortune and Glory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users