Photo
- - - - -

Unlocking.ini Issues on Windows 10 (The Movies S&E)

help mods

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:14 AM

Hey all,

I have a new PC that runs fantastically. Mods work for the most part EXCEPT the most essential one: Unlocking.ini file that lets me start a sandbox at year 2000.

Anyone have any idea why I can't get it to work? Should be a simple copy/paste, but it's not doing a thing.

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#2 Killian

Killian

Hello, TMU, I'm baaackkkk!

• Administrators
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, UK

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:27 AM

You should be able to drop the file into C:\Users\YOURMAINUSER\Documents\The Movies (for the main user the program was installed under) and it should work; it did when I reinstalled it...

That said, I've also seen comments here and there that said they couldn't get it to work until they'd played a new game and unlocked at least the first achievement, then have been able to replace the file with the full unlocker one, but from a fresh install, I never had that issue.

• Johnny Ex and Harb40 like this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#3 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:29 AM

You should be able to drop the file into C:\Users\YOURMAINUSER\Documents\The Movies (for the main user the program was installed under) and it should work; it did when I reinstalled it...

That said, I've also seen comments here and there that said they couldn't get it to work until they'd played a new game and unlocked at least the first achievement, then have been able to replace the file with the full unlocker one, but from a fresh install, I never had that issue.

Thanks, Killian! I've tried this and it's still not working, unfortunately. I'm going to have to just work with what I have.

I have a new bucket of worms, however. I'm 10 hours deep into a save file that began in 1920 for story mode. It's 1949 and everyone on the lot stopped working. Literally stopped. Movies can't further progress. Builders don't build unless prompted. Edit: I just discovered that my revenue is in the negative hundred millions; I have this game modded to hell and I've obviously gonna past the maximum limit, bugging everything out. How do I reverse this? LOL

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#4 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

Erk!  Not sure how you managed to go so deep in the hole (unless, as I suspect, you're in the tycoon mode?)  That's a new one on me, and I can't figure out why it might have stalled.

My own CDs were unusable when I came to reinstall, but as I've already purchased 3 copies of the game over the years (and lost all but one set of the discs in the process), I wasn't averse to finding an... alternative to installing off the discs, shall we say? :P

I found a site that provided a repack of TM + S&E that had been optimised for Windows 10, downloaded and installed that and that's the version I've been using.  I didn't suffer any of the frequently mentioned issues with TM under Win10 (such as black costumes, rendered footage coming out black and the aforementioned unlock problem), and it's been working fine for me since.  I tried the 4gb patch but can't get it to work, not that it seems to cause too much of a problem anyway to be honest.

I can PM you the link and you could try that? It's just over a 2gb download all told, as I recall...

I also installed the 1.1 patch and the no-CD "fix" to get around the not-being-able-to-read-the-CD-problem caused by installing it from a drive rather than the discs and it's been running fine for me; the only issues I had were what I presume are file corruption issues with my data folder backups (which did come off an old disc that'd been hanging around in a box on a shelf for a number of years because the boot sector was screwed), but as most of my old projects are pretty much dead anyway, starting from scratch wasn't a major issue for me.

• FallenThomas likes this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#5 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:07 PM

I found a site that provided a repack of TM + S&E that had been optimised for Windows 10, downloaded and installed that and that's the version I've been using.  I didn't suffer any of the frequently mentioned issues with TM under Win10 (such as black costumes, rendered footage coming out black and the aforementioned unlock problem), and it's been working fine for me since.  I tried the 4gb patch but can't get it to work, not that it seems to cause too much of a problem anyway to be honest.

I most likely downloaded the same re-pack :rolleyes: Everything works like it should, except for that money issue. I'm doing a tycoon run of the game for my Twitch stream, which is why I'm going deep with the story LOL. 

Here is a clip of when the bug occurred, notice in the top left the balance goes from close $1 billion then suddenly shifts to -$400 million. https://clips.twitch...ngolinFUNgineer

Anyway, the only fix I can think of is doing a run without .ini files :( 

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#6 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:11 PM

youch... yes, it appears to bork out at the moment you pick up the script and move it to the PR building.

I haven't played the tycoon mode for god knows how long.... I'll have a think about if there's any way you can sort it short of a complete restart...

• FallenThomas likes this

#7 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

youch... yes, it appears to bork out at the moment you pick up the script and move it to the PR building.

I haven't played the tycoon mode for god knows how long.... I'll have a think about if there's any way you can sort it short of a complete restart...

I think you solved the issue, Killian! I didn't even realize the PR thing until you mentioned it. I was playing yesterday, and the same thing happened after doing PR 3 times in a row. I guess 1-2 is all my game can handle (?). Anyway, I save before every PR placement because I would hate to have this happen again.

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#8 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hmmm; maybe it needs longer between PR stints or you need to intersperse it with something else so it doesn't get antsy?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, mods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users