• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Its that time again: Free Comic Book Day is tomorrow!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#62 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Mesmo Delivery - Picked this up randomly from a favorites table on Free Comic Book Day. Absolutely love it. I've since read someone comparing it to a Sergio Leone ultra violent episode of the Twilight Zone which I tend to agree with. Two bizarre guys driving a truck to a mysterious destination stop at a truck stop. Massive violence ensues to much amusement. Theres a lot of perverse joy in the action and violence and Rafael Granpa's artwork is wonderful with thick layered armies of lines and a bleak evil color palette. His action shots are really energetic and chaotic. The story is short and serves more as a playground for Granpa to create really cool illustrations of crows and teeth and flying assassins with bowed knives. Not sure how I missed when it came out in 2008 and was reissued in 2010 but I got it now and its one of my new faves!

9.5/10

Posted Image

Edited by thebiz, 13 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#63 TINMAN

TINMAN

Who's Your Daddy?

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

When I was a kid and Thomas Jefferson was President, I was an avid comic book reader. I suppose that was when I began to mentally vocalize characters, feeling the emotion and expressing it using the words and graphics on the page. Over the years, boxes and boxes and BOXES of comics were collected and stored in my home. I've rummaged through them a couple of times over the years. Most consisted of Superman, Superboy, Batman, Justice League, Flash, Green Arrow, etc. ---- You know..... most of the DC Superhero comic stuff. Tons of comics. The last series of comics I collected were all of the Star Trek comics from the different publishers. That was many, many years ago. The boxes are beginning to disappear this Summer as I toss them all into the dumpster. They were extremely influential in my life.

K4

Posted Image

FOLLOW JAMES EASTMAN on FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

#64 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

Over the last few months I managed to collect the 5 issues of "And Then Emily Was Gone", a scottish horror tale. I loved the artwork which is crude and nightmarish and completely appropriate for the story which is about little girls and monsters real or in your head (literally!). Theres a detective who sees terrible things all around him (think Constantine with more ugly and less cool), a filthy assassin and a wonderfully terrible bunch or residents living on an island that would make the wicker man residents blush. The seperate issues will be collected soon so it wont be too difficult to find and theres even word that the main terrible monster will get a prologue on Free Comix Day. Very exciting as this story deserves a bigger audience. 9/10.

Posted Image

Edited by thebiz, 11 February 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#65 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

I read Michael Deforge's Ant Colony last week while on Jury Duty. It follows several black ants as they serve their queen, forage for food, battle red ants and ennui and avoid spiders during the last days of a their colony. While this sounds kind of cute, the subject matter is rather adult and the overall vibe is completely alien with bizarre insect anatomies and functions, sexuality within the nearly all male colony, loads of insect violence and drug induced hallucinations . Its all very memorable and very weird. Not really subway reading. More akin to coffee table reading.
7.5/10

Posted Image

#66 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

Took a trip to Pennsylvania this weekend and ended up in a cool little comix shop where I found Sullivan's Sluggers in the 1/2 price bin. Sullivans Sluggers was a kickstarter project that ran into some controversy both with the funders and amongst the creators which is a shame as the story and the graphics come together to form a really fun project.

A travelling baseball team of one time major league has beens ends up in the small town of Malice fighting against monsters from Hell.

The artist, James Stokoe, reminded me a lot of Geof Darrow (see earlier post on Shaolin Cowboy) with a heaping helping of manga design thrown in. I was kinda hoping a lot of the battling would be of the baseball type variety a la the mighty casey vs hellspawn but this was more evil deadish. Overall, its a fun hard cover with baseball card inserts and was half price. Good stuff.

7.5/10

Posted Image

Also grabbed Global Frequency for half price which was recommended to me in this thread many moons ago. Will be reading that one soon.

Edited by thebiz, 13 April 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#67 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

Free Comic Book Day happens this Saturday!

Grab yourself some free comics! Kid Millions and myself are looking forward to visiting a couple of stores near our house this year.

#68 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

No doubt about it!
Such a great trick to get my ass to the shop and spend more than I had planned.
PLUS Avengers 2 tomorrow! Woot!
Posted Image

#69 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

Free Comic Book Day!

Posted Image

#70 kkffoo

kkffoo

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

Love that photo!
PC still running after clearest yeah! Now noodling with Plotagon.

#71 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

Airboy by Greg Hinkle and James Robinson - This is the first really great comic of 2015 having little to do with comics and more to do with comic writers and is a fun trip into depravity (think Fear and Loathing in a NSFW setting). Airboy is a real comic property that fell into the public domain and Hinkle/Robinson are tasked with figuring out how to reboot him for a new age. Instead of finding inspiration they find themselves intoxicated and belligerent and waking up the morning after with a hellava headache and their subject has seemingly come to life to berate them. It all feels more than a bit autobiographical in much the way that Louie (the FX show) feels. The art is unique (with a single tone for everything but Airboy who is in technicolor), the trouble is dirty and fun and the overall vibe feels real and involving.

9.5/10

Posted Image

#72 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

It Will All Hurt - Picked up this little independant comic last week and really liked it. Water color graphics feel like a children's book (well that and the fact that all the characters are either animals, children or...) but something very sinister is afoot with creepy monsters coming out of every nook and cranny and forehead. I read the first 4 chapters in book form and then went to the website and reread them online. Its a different experience to be sure as the book feels more permanent. Anyway, you can take a look at this one for free right HERE. 9/10

Posted Image

#73 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

Space Riders - Space Riders is every awesome cliche of space badassery you can imagine headed by El Capitan Peligro and his faithful crew who cruise around in their Skullship, the Santa Muerte kicking badguy ass, kissing scantily clad space vixens and pissing off space evildoers (with names like Satanis and Hammerhead).  And it all looks like a 3D blacklight oil painting.  Its wonderful.  And yea, thats a space motorcycle gang below.  9.5/10

3123.jpg

#74 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

Not sure if Ive mentioned it here but the thinkofacity tumbler project is a very cool project wherein a bunch of different graphic artists (many comic book artists) contribute their thoughts on Urbanity.  Its always worth a look!

http://thinkofacity.tumblr.com/

tumblr_nvwaqn50O41spy5pdo1_1280.jpg

#75 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

And two

I Hate Fairyland.

Johnny the Homicidal maniac is twisted, the main character is always in a deep existential crisis, and it's great. The creator who made Johnny the Homicidal Maniac also created Invader Zim!

I Hate Fairyland is delightfully twisted as well. The colors are charming, the characters are excellent, the main character is hilarious, and a bad-ass with an axe. It's basically Deadpool meets Alice in Wonderland. I totally recommend reading it.

#76 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Right now Im into "4Kids walk into a Bank" which is a groovy kid based action noir comic with a good mix of 80s kids playing D&D and riding bikes and messing up the plans of two bit neo nazi hoods.  Inventive layouts and great artwork. Its another title from Black Mask which is the publisher of the afore mentioned Space riders.  They seem to be collecting a lot of good titles at Black Mask.

4-kids-walk-into-a-bank-1-10-e1461695530

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

And two

I Hate Fairyland.

Johnny the Homicidal maniac is twisted, the main character is always in a deep existential crisis, and it's great. The creator who made Johnny the Homicidal Maniac also created Invader Zim!

I Hate Fairyland is delightfully twisted as well. The colors are charming, the characters are excellent, the main character is hilarious, and a bad-ass with an axe. It's basically Deadpool meets Alice in Wonderland. I totally recommend reading it.

Ive taken a glimpse of I hate Fairyland (which actualy goes by a much more foul mouthed title in the variant covers).  It reminds me a lot of God Hates Astronauts which is a crazy gonzo title as well.  Enjoyable and colorful with insane characters.

GHA05.jpg

#77 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:54 AM

Whoa, God Hates Astronauts looks pretty cool, Biz. I love the artwork.

I recently read a comic. Archie VS. Predator. It's basically an Archie and Predator crossover. it has the original Archie design and artwork which is cool. Archie and friends try to survive and kill the predator which is stalking all of them. I was surprised who lived and who died by the end of the comic. Lots of action, blood, and humor. I recommend it.

#78 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I read another graphic novel!

I went to this store called Book Off the other day. I was looking for another graphic novel when I eyed something interesting. The title of the comic was called 27 First Set. On the cover was a guy with a guitar in his hands. "This is pretty cool"

I thought. So I bought it and started reading it. Oh man, it's fucking great.

It's about music. It's about this 27 year old musician who loses his ability to play the guitar and tries to find a cure for it. The graphic novel also dives into the mystery of the 27 club, I.E. Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison. The art is fantastic and it's well written. I totally recommend it.

There's a second set of this graphic novel. I'm gonna get that one too.

#79 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:22 AM

Graphic novel recommendation of the day: Snotgirl. It's about this popular fashion blogger who has this allergy which causes her to have snot pouring down her nose, hence the title. It's funny, the art style is neat, and there's murder involved. Also, one of the creators of this comic is Brian Lee O'Malley, the creator of Scott Pilgrim. Check it out guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users