The First Annual Ollies

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#21 animatechnica

animatechnica

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

so quick Q (and sorry for not catching it if it was mentioned earlier) - where does the word 'ollies' come from? could it have been "Teemuus" or "Kennies"?

#22 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

Nice question.

Well back in the TMO days on The Movies Online, there was a user called OlliEntertainment who reviewed over 11,000 films on TMO. So hence we have named it after him.
And it's proved to be quite a catchy and popular name for the awards among the community. :)

#23 Jake

Jake

Rapid Fire Studios Writer

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

sent nominations...

I miss ollie... :(
Jake :mellow:

#24 stvndysn

stvndysn

COMING BACK SOON

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

nominations sent

#25 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

Just a quick note if you're using the special nomination spreadsheet Killian has designed at this link: http://spreadsheets....DWHVqWkZLUWc6MA Here is something important you must know.

When you come to a category which you can't think of anyone to nominate in, simply fill the space with ----- or (Blank) Because the system won't accept you leaving blank spaces in any of the boxes

Thanks!

#26 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Sequel time!

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Since I suggested the Olllies, I thought I should do a little searching and I found this little trinket. If ya think it can serve as the Ollie, then great. Imagine this coveted golden baby in your hands! Woot!

Can a modder out there mod THE OLLIE as a holdable item for THE MOVIES format? It would be neat to actually hand it on stage as you give your acceptance speech!

In the meanwhile......
All members of TMUnderground should be casting their ballots!

Here is the Ollie that I've submitted.
Posted Image

Fresh back from Australia, my brain is a bit foggy ("So what's new?", I hear you ask), but I thought it would be nice to have Ollie's famous words included in that somewhere..."Film On"!

That's it, I'm going back to bed.

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#27 Yarmond

Yarmond

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Sweet this sounds very exciting. Looking forward to see who gets nominated.

#28 Killian

Killian

Hello, TMU, I'm baaackkkk!

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, UK

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Just a gentle reminder to people :-

• You CANNOT nominate yourself or your own movies for any categories (any submitted so far have been changed to Blanks and therefore will not count for nominations);
  • Check that the film or person you are nominating actually QUALIFIES before submitting your nominations (had a couple come in for members or films that fall outside the "window of opportunity" listed above...). Instances of this happening have been changed to blanks on the submission and do not count for the final tally.
  • PLEASE complete as many categories as you can (any nomination forms with less than 50% of the form completed, either due to the above offence or just nothing in the list, will result in that form being ignored during the tallying); the categories are there for a reason, folks... please consider them.
  • PLEASE check you understand the category and nominate correctly (if in doubt, ask either myself or Tom) and
  • PLEASE follow the format for submissions (it's not easy trying to figure out what film is being talked about when you give a director's name for Best Picture for example, or a film soundtrack for Best Composer with no name attached to it! PLEASE try and leave me some hair for when this is over, will yah?? ;))

Edited by Killian, 15 August 2009 - 10:21 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#29 Jake

Jake

Rapid Fire Studios Writer

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

I have a something to say- I think the spreadsheet is easier but, what if someone pretends to be someone else?
Jake :mellow:

#30 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Well they must be an utter c*** then.

Killian will be able to find out if people are pretending because he can see their IP Address and see if they are doing it multiple times. And if any moron was to do this, and we catch them, we will disqualify their votes and I don't think they should ever show their face here again. I hope thats got the message across in a serious and straight to the point manner :)

#31 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

To be quite honest, if someone is sad enough to want to fix nominations in this way, then they ought to have a good, long look at themselves.

But, personally, I can't imagine anyone here wanting to do such a thing, anyway.

But, Big Brother is watching, in any case....

:online2long::gunsmilie:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Captain's Blog - General wibbling on machinima related stuff]   |    [Killian at Vimeo]   |   [Killian on YouTube]

#32 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

If anyone were to fix the outcome... why it would be like the real oscars.
Posted Image

#33 Daninsky

Daninsky

The Angry Red Plant

• Members
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well they must be an utter c*** then.

Or an utter
a***
b***
d***
e***
f***
g***

I'm sure there are other letters around we could call them, too. :sweatdrop:

Edited by Daninsky, 11 August 2009 - 05:17 PM.

...and naturally the movie needs to have an explosion for the fourteen year olds.
-Unknown newspaper critic.

#34 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Ok, here's some updates.

Mr. MikeDBoing is going to be starting work on a special mod which is The Ollies Official Award Trophy which every winner in their category will be sent via skype when they come on air to do their acceptance speech!

The look of it is here - http://www.tmoaradio...78&postcount=10

It can be seen in the poster which K4 made.
Me and Killian have agreed and we believe that this fits to be the official Ollie trophy, and I tell you, it's one hot gold babie!

Mike will be making the mod available in The Movies, Moviestorm and iClone format, so no one will miss out!

Official screenshots of these golden babies will be posted soon when the mod is finally created by Mikey! :)

In other news!
As you may know, Me and Ethan run a podcast every week talking about movies, both in the real world and on TMU and in support of The Ollies, over the next few weeks we will be releasing special episodes created for The Ollies as we give you all the gossip on who may be nominated for what and everything you can imagine including who will be turning up at the ceremony, dresses, guests, music and more...Tis going to be so glamourous I'm sure Heddy Hooper herself would want to get in on the act!...It's all official in the run up to the awards!

It will be the ultimate guide to The Ollies with Documentarian Ethanial Runt and Film Critic Thomas Von Foster.

So stay tuned for that and more, soon!

#35 animatechnica

animatechnica

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

quick Q - is there a way to edit submission? i think i may have violated one of the rules i.e. nominating my own work - primarily due to unfamiliarity with some of the work in specific categories and process did not let me submit without filling out those other categories

- is there a way to just submit some areas. I'm afraid people like myself may not know all of the categories (i.e aware of only 1 or 2 films) - for example not all of us know which films have live action of TMU members, not all of us know which movies used external special effect programs

#36 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

Submissions wise, PM me and I will check off the previous submission for you, allowing a second one to be made (as I have access to the database which stores the submission information).

If you genuinely can't think of a movie which fulfils a specific category (and there might be one of two), just enter "-----" or similar into the box when you reach it on the form.

Realistically speaking, it's not likely that everyone will have even watched a movie in every category, but I expect that all forms should have entries for at least 50% of the categories (purely because, by extension of people being forum members, that most folk will be aware of movies in general).

Any live action movie on the site, by extension, should be one that has been made by and/or starring a community member, as others aren't allowed. There isn't a specific category for them on the movie site (purely because there weren't any when the site was begun), so you might have to dig a bit; doesn't mean that they don't deserve a mention, of course (which is why we have an award category for them!)

And, don't forget, there are 2 and a bit weeks to go before submissions need to be in, so there's plenty of time to poke around the site and watch some movies (which is one of the reasons we ran the contest in the first place!)

Edited by Killian, 11 August 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#37 EthanRunt

EthanRunt

The Last Living Zombie

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

So my 'documentary' could be allowed?

(Not that it's worth bothering to look at...)
Name: Ethan Runt
But you might also know me as The Lord Lady Mangold or Ronald Sierra McTubsicold.

#38 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

It's a live action movie written by and/or starring a community member, so I'd say it qualifies :)

#39 db4321

db4321

Lost in Twitbook Land

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Just a quick (and probably stupid) question, but is there any way to save the spreadsheet (voting form) and return to it later or does it have to be completed in one session.

I ask because I'm not familiar with Google docs or how it works. Thanks in advance.

#40 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

Unfortunately, not as far as I'm aware, I'm afraid (Google Docs isn't the most comprehensive online package; I had a look, but the "Help" functionality is anything but...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users