61 replies to this topic

#1 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:36 AM

Posted Image

Hello and welcome to Chat Noir Studio's "Death in Venice" production thread!

I sense that this thread will exist for a while... :)

First things first, this is the cast:

AnotherNewDawn ........ as Marc
Sonya ................. as Julia
ScarletRhapsody........ as Claire
Dulci ................. as Melanie
Kuroken ............... as Sebastian
Usagi ................. as Mary Ellen
Rosegirl .............. as Scarlett / Violet

Background

The "Death in Venice" project had a turbulent history. It was written by Kate Lee in mid 2006 and originally to be directed by NeoNoir using "The Movies" and external tools. This collaboration would be under the banner of "Decadent Pictures". The roles were cast and lines were delivered, but the project was eventually shelved due to unknowable circumstances. :33:

The project was revived in July of 2009 as NeoNoir passed the baton back to the black cats studios executives. Well, there really wasn't any studio at this point as spiderwebs were hanging everywhere in the Chat Noir offices and the staff was missing. But the resurgence of Moviestorm and other equally powerful and simple tools as an alternative to our old beloved Lionhead's game was the rallying call for the staff, and it seems that now that they may be finally working on it after all.

What is it about?

"Death in Venice" is an operatic drama-romance about assassins and revenge. It bears little relation with Thomas Mann's famous novella of the same name - except for the title, and perhaps its ultimate subject matter: irresistible forces inside us that bring us to our demise.

What's the status?

Kate has rewritten parts of the script, and the studio decided early on to recast the main female role whose lines had been most changed. The auditions were very successful and with the cast now complete, work has begun.

There were rumours that the movie could be divided in two parts, as the script was devised this way at one point at NeoNoir's request. However, this is not certain at this time.

Learning new tools will take some time, and there are many technical challenges ahead. Patience!

Meanwhile, the staff at Chat Noir is just glad to be back! :balloon:

Edited by mr_chatnoir, 19 August 2009 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image
Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#2 josephkw

josephkw

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Yippy! More cathouse films, er I mean Chatmaison films. I still remember this one from the days of old. Glad to hear it's coming back with a facelift and MS incarnation, and with a stellar cast! This is yet another one to wait for.

#3 wackyal3000

wackyal3000

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Glad to hear chatnoir are back, can't wait for this.

#4 Jake

Jake

Rapid Fire Studios Writer

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Oh, man, another chatnoir film? This shall be great! No, not great, perfect!
Jake :mellow:

#5 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

I'm very much looking forward to this, good luck to all of you at chatNoir Studios. :)

#6 ChatNoir

ChatNoir

Madam Chat Noir, that is.

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Shooting this movie in MovieStorm is turning out to be incredibly fun AND painstaking. I lost count of the hours I spent on that one-minute the-morning-after scene!
Chat Noir Studios online:
Vimeo,Blogspot, Facebook, Twitter

#7 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

Mid-week report

I'm glad to report it is full steam ahead with this project! :D

Multiple scenes of the first half of the movie are being shot at the moment. We'll soon put a few screenies here!

The black cats are very *very* excited. :thumbup:

It's good to be back after such a long break. :9:
Posted Image

#8 goofparade

goofparade

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

Shooting this movie in MovieStorm is turning out to be incredibly fun AND painstaking. I lost count of the hours I spent on that one-minute the-morning-after scene!

"Fun and painstaking" hours work for me. We suffer for our art!! :)
Thanks for the mid-week report, I'll check back for screenies soon.

#9 ChatNoir

ChatNoir

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

Here are some screenshots of Death in Venice!

A shot from the scene, "the morning after," a.k.a. "regret."

Posted Image

There's something irresistibly sexy about a man in an impeccable suit with his tie undone... ;)

Shots from the scene, "sleepless night," a.k.a. "burning midnight vengeance."

Posted Image

Here is Marc at his moment.

Posted Image

No, I didn't ask him to take his shirt off to attract female viewers. It was to signify his naked vulnerability in this scene. Well, what can I say? I think it works either way. :1:

#10 Chris62

Chris62

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

looks good nice screenies.

GCMk.jpg

#11 TheFlyingDuDe

TheFlyingDuDe

El Duderino

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

I like the screenies, even thou Marcs facial expression is exactly the same in every screen. :)
Looking forward to the complete work!

#12 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Oooh great screenies!
Seems you have done a lot of customizing - ah, I can't wait for the film! :001_smile:

#13 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the interest and patience!!

Ah... patience... I need it while waiting for Adobe After Effects' progress bar to crawl forward (move... move... dammit). While it renders I thought I'd send in my weekend update.

Despite small annoyances with AE, this has been a very productive week for the cats and Death in Venice - or DIV as we call it! Here are a few things we've been working on, and some random rambling:

-- Intro: after a few weeks and a few different iterations, we've come up with something that looks good and fits well! After Effects has been misbehaving a little, but not enough to prevent this to be done.

-- The opening sequence logistics has been hashed out after much discussion on the details. We've been cranking on this for almost a month, but it is now about ready for post-production (although we're missing a few pieces of VO). I thought this would be a longer sequence, but in the name of efficiency and tight editing, it will be short and sweet. :)

-- There are some major technical issues that need to be investigated for an elaborate scene near the end. We should storyboard it after seeing what is possible. Originally we planned to film this in Second Life, but it seems La Vera Venezia that used to be there has mysteriously disappeared. No worries, we have alternatives! :)

-- Current #1 MovieStorm annoyance: jerking heads... grr...

-- Our MovieStorm puppets have been constantly requesting more alcoholic props, so that they can get innebriated while the shooting drags on. Management has caved in that respect. :9:

That's it for now...

:rockon:

Edited by mr_chatnoir, 30 August 2009 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#14 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Good to hear about your progress! :)

And oh yeah, jerking heads... every MS user has a song to sing about that...

Ooooh and you've got AE, I'm a little bit jealous. :001_tongue:
Can't wait to see what you do with it!

#15 Nukester

Nukester

Erase | Rewind

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

I always wondered what happened to neonoir!

This is a very intruiging production and I look forward to a long overdue blackcat flick. Nice use of lighting too in those screenies. You can almost sense there is a lot of drama to unfold:33:

#16 ChatNoir

ChatNoir

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Thank you Chris, TheFlyingDuDe, Sisch and Nukester!

Yes, we got a second-handed student-version of After Effects (for which I'm qualified). We cancelled our TV cable subscription, so I guess that will pay for the software in a few months. :)

The opening scenes (Sherwin is the main director for these scene, although we constantly exchange ideas and feedbacks) are about 80% complete, and look beautiful in my opinion. We keep our fingers crossed that they will turn out the way we dreamed them!

#17 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:59 AM

Mid-week report

There was a change in the cast this week - welcome to Amanda Mack, who is playing the role of Mary Ellen! :D

Thank you Google for your 3D Warehouse, without which there would be no Venice in this movie. I spent more time there than I'd like to admit over there. :angel:

Only today did I actually put Ken's voice with his Moviestorm character. Wow... stunning!! :o

We've gotten more organized over this weekend, and I think we have a better grip of how much work is left. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's still a long tunnel.

Take care!

Posted Image

#18 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

Labor Day Weekend report

Production on this movie has now reached a frenzy this Labor Day Weekend. Even though we are not really working against any deadline at the moment, it feels that the first half of the movie has reached critical mass. We are winding down the constant tweaking, and rendered all the shots for the first half so we can have some fun in the editor tomorrow. :whistling:

We have also received a few of the VOs we were expecting, so we can continue work on a number of scenes for the second half of the movie. The second half also involves some more difficult set design and lighting - many night shots...

As you may know, it is absolutely beautiful at night in Venice.

Music has been a strong inspiration for this project. And by music I mean opera. And by opera I mean Giuseppe Verdi. In particular his Rigoletto and La Forza del Destino have been constantly humming in my head, it's impossible to switch it off. The last time this kind of thing happened, it was a catchy tune from "Slumdog Millionaire", a movie that I didn't even particularly like much...

Well, I'll go back to cranking this one out. This weekend has been a blast.

:thumbup1:

Posted Image

#19 Rogue (Flat Earth)

Rogue (Flat Earth)

Galileo Was Wrong

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

There was a change in the cast this week - welcome to Amanda Mack, who is playing the role of Mary Ellen! :D

I always look forward for anything you guys do.. but I must say that I'm looking forward even more now that you casted Amanda into the movie...

Tons of fun working with her... and tons more hearing her voiceact :D

#20 mr_chatnoir

mr_chatnoir

♫♩ aka Sherwin ♬♩

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

I always look forward for anything you guys do.. but I must say that I'm looking forward even more now that you casted Amanda into the movie...

Tons of fun working with her... and tons more hearing her voiceact :D

Amanda shined in a small role, and nailed her lines! :)

It is quite amazing how voice actors manage to exceed our expectations all the time.

Here is a screenie from a scene we whipped up a few days ago. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat noir, chatnoir, death in venice, drama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users