TANK production Thread

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

I was looking into IClone for a while, then back to TM(my original medium since I'm possibly adept at modding in it....... go figure) then it hit me that Blender was much more versatile. Not to confuse versatility with ease of use. That software I have chosen is way harder than any other solutions but the finished piece will be mine, all mine. good or bad.

Baby we were Boing to run.... 2660.jpg

#62 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

So all animation will be mocapped?  What kind of suit are you using?  And what about facial animation.  Is that easy to do in Blender?  Im very curious about your Blender escapades.  I know Ben uses it for modeling and some effects but this will be one of the few full Blender movies on TMU.  Will be cool to follow the progress.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

We have a Noitom Axis Neuron Mocap Suit. It's a self-contained Wi-Fi system, so no markers on the performer and there are very little move restrictions.

After several takes for each actor, I import the BVH animation in Blender's graph editor for timing and general cleanup of any drift.

Facial animation is either going to be shape-key animation or another "mo-cap" option within Blender.

Something similar to what James Cameron and ILM use to capture actor facial performances but on a much, much, much lower budget....that one should be interesting.

#64 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

How many sensors on the suit?  The Noitom suit is definitely one Ive considered once it gets to a stable stage and if the price is right.  I would really love to make my own animations but the previous hardware compatible in Iclone (Kinect)  produced crappy results.

#65 Benjamin Tuttle

Benjamin Tuttle

Fruit Basket!

• Moderators
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

We have a Noitom Axis Neuron Mocap Suit. It's a self-contained Wi-Fi system, so no markers on the performer and there are very little move restrictions.

After several takes for each actor, I import the BVH animation in Blender's graph editor for timing and general cleanup of any drift.

Facial animation is either going to be shape-key animation or another "mo-cap" option within Blender.

Something similar to what James Cameron and ILM use to capture actor facial performances but on a much, much, much lower budget....that one should be interesting.

That one should be interesting to see. I love the blender cycle renders especially the neon signs.

Moderator, Blender User, iClone filmmaker, and overall OCD guy at set dressing.

#66 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:51 AM

Thanks Ben. trying new things and getting a feel of the place. I want it colorful yet a bit more contrast and dark. 

The suit we have is, I believe, the top model. 32 sensors for the whole body, hands and the fingers.

While it is a very impressive tool, it does have a few bugs:

There is a significant amount of drift during recording motions that involve jumps and running.

Putting the suit on is a bit of a trial and error thing to get the neurons in the right places and oriented right.

A recalibration is needed at every second recording to reset some of the drift on the body itself.

It does give you instant feedback and that is incredibly valuable in getting the acting part right.

The default avatar in the software, a kind of robot body, cannot be changed for another model. A more human form would have been nice, specially to see if the joints at the knees and elbows are ok.

As far as price goes, I have no clue how much it cost but I do know it is very cheap compared to some of the more professional setups. It also can be used anywhere that has a good wi-fi connection.

It is sensitive to magnetic interference and if you put the neurons close to electromagnetic fields, they can get damaged. A keyboard apparently gives enough EM to damage them...go figure.

So far, every take from the suit has had to get cleaned up in Maya or Blender. It is not that difficult and is just a bit more work that you need to do to get the right performances.

#67 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

Update Time Again!!!!

Been busy polishing a few props that started as TM set props...then became proxies for the Blender Cycles Render Engine and mock-ups for the arcade set...to be ultimately revamped as the finished set pieces.

3795.png

3799.png

3803.png

3807.png

3775.png

Also did a lot of test renders for lighting, HDRI environment. Even to Google map/earth(they are pretty much the same now) to get outside references.

3783.png

3787.png

3791.png

Got a lot to do still. The biggest stumbling block I have right now is the look of the characters. No matter how much I try to get ''the LOOK'', it just doesn't get to a point where it works. I'm thinking I might need some serious help here.

Laterz yall!! :)

#68 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

You helped me so much, I would be more than happy to help you.

“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#69 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:59 PM

Thank you Beowulf, after seeing your Spartan I was thinking.."That's the kind of look I'm looking for".....well they will be more dressed and a lot less weaponized but you get the idea. :D I will definitely need your talent for character design. For now, what I have is a TM-iClone-Pixard_Mish-Mash-from hell..its all over the place. Too many rendering options during pre-prod and this is what I ended up with. :(

They will be animated in Blender with the Riggify full body and face rig, there might be a couple of versions of the main characters, because some constraints might be involved in the layout of some scenes...like for the motion capture parts. A lot of trial and error here. Also, because I'm rendering in cycles, the skin shader will use subsurface scattering so I might add an extra level of detail for the closeups.

So many details, my head is spinning..more than usual now :lol:  got to keep breathing......... :wacko:  :blink:

#70 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:41 AM

One More Time...Update that is....

Got more pinball machines done today, including the Title model of this film....

3816.png

3820.png

Ladies and Gents...without further adue...adoo...adieu,,,,,adow,,,a,,F@#!*IT

The TANK

3824.png

Ain't she purrrrrty?!!

But not to leave a good self promo op go undone..

3828.png

Getting closer...

#71 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

Nice job on the texturing!  I'm just getting into modeling with Milkshape3D now, should probably give Blender another go again one of these days myself...

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#72 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

Blender has evolved so much in the last few years it's insane. If the last time you tried Blender was the 2.4x series you are in for a treat/shock..the UI has been totaly re-writen. More modern and a relatively better user experience. I say relatively because the basic functionality are still there and the keyboard shortcuts are mostly the same, but the look and feel have gone though some serious changes. All for the better IMHO.

#73 skarsten

skarsten

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, the last time I used it was when TMO was still around, so I was working with whatever version the export scripts supported.  It's hard to know how much of the issue was my inexperience with modeling programs or the interface, but good to hear that they've improved it.

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

Hitfilm Tutorials and other VFX stuff

#74 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

Nice job on the set pieces, and arcade machines, Mike. :)

#75 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

Thanks TPK

Update time again...feeling the vibes gettin togetttaaaarrr!!

Been working on a new set piece, and got to a point where I'm wondering just how much detail will be visible in the final film. That's a tricky question. It is never clear cut just how much exposure a prop or set will get in a finished film so adding subtle details here and there can ( and probably is at this point) become a waste of time....I just can't let a piece be unfinished.....

The piece in question is this one

3840.png

It goes there

3832.png

During some scenes, there are going to be opportunities to better expose this prop and all the hard work will have been a good thing, it will showcase dedication to the finner  more subtle and funnier details.....

3836.png

unless it gets the editing chopping block treatment in which case it will be a pile of wasted pixels... :P

• BiggsTrek and Johnny Ex like this

#76 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

Love that shot of the arcade from behind the counter. Amazing lighting. Very lifelike.

#77 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

I agree.^...

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#78 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:25 AM

Thanks guys, its all Blender and Cycles. All the materials are PBR (Physically Based Rendered shader).

So much time is spent on the modeling and texturing, but that's nothing compared to tweaking each shader to get a true sense of realism and I must say, The Blender PBR shaders are f@#$%g amazing once you get into it. So simple and yet so powerful.

BTW, the main lighting comes from the outside of the building, through the windows by a HDRI (High Dynamic Range Image) and the neon tubing you see up on the wall. The Pinball and video game machines screens are light sources as well and they add a subtle glow everywhere.

Having the props become the environment light sources helps reaching that level of authenticity. I just add them, set the emission values and it's just working itself out.

#79 Beowulf71

Beowulf71

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

It's beautiful allright, but if I may say something...

I think everything is a bit too bright and too clean, but the details are amazing.

“I am the ripper, the tearer, the slasher. I am the teeth in the darkness! The talons in the night! My name is strength! And lust! And power! I am BEOWULF!"

#80 MikeDBoing

MikeDBoing

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:35 AM

Thanks Beowulf, yeah its still not 100% done with the lighting and the materials are going to get the wear and tear treatment soon. Right now it's just modeling, adapting models from other sources and getting the set pretty much complete at this point. I will be sending you a set of models and ref images for the characters. You are gonna be plenty busy my friend :)

• Johnny Ex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users