• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

I wanted to start this thread so Sischs review thread wasnt completely hijacked and to open things up for general debate as well as announcements. Maybe this is the place, maybe not.

First off, there seem to be 2 machinima events coming up in the immediate future.

Machinima Fest 2008, Nov 1, 2008. NYC

and

Machinima Expo 2008, Nov 19th 2008. Second Life

I am hoping to attend both and I might be able to document whatever there is to document of the Machinima Festival either with stills, video or pencil scratch. I will try to keep you informed. I recently recieved an email stating that the organizers are still working on the speaking schedule.

It would be great if others posted these kind of events somewhere so we all were aware of them. Maybe here...maybe somewhere else but somewhere.

Then theres Jase180s discussion point concerning ideas for something the community might be involved in. A TMU Exposition perhaps (oooh, I do love expositions)? I have many a thought on this but lets see what others have to say.

#2 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

I found these in my web search:

http://z-studios.com...vents-calendar/

It's about a Machinima Events Calendar: http://www.google.co...ndar.google.com

This seems to be pretty current.

#3 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Then theres Jase180s discussion point concerning ideas for something the community might be involved in. A TMU Exposition perhaps (oooh, I do love expositions)? I have many a thought on this but lets see what others have to say.

I would love that!
The problem I see with it though is that we're all biased one way or another - I honestly think it would be better if we had outside judges if there are any prizes to be given away.

Great find, Dulci!

#4 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I found these in my web search:

http://z-studios.com...vents-calendar/

It's about a Machinima Events Calendar: http://www.google.co...ndar.google.com

This seems to be pretty current.

That's from the illustrious Phil Rice (aka Overman, maker of 'Apology')). He does a regular podcast (for machinima) which I listen to now and then. He pretty much has his finger on the pulse of machinima (excluding TM, unfortunately. Don't know why...)

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#5 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I would love that!
The problem I see with it though is that we're all biased one way or another - I honestly think it would be better if we had outside judges if there are any prizes to be given away.

Great find, Dulci!

Perhaps we could recruit a judge from each of the other methods - MovieStorm, Antics, iclone, etc.

#6 Nahton

Nahton

MovieStormer

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

I posted this on another thread but I figured I'd repeat it here as it is relevant. This is the link for the Machinifeed:

Machinifeed

I think Phil Rice manages this as well. It's an RSS feed of Machinima related websites and blogs. He accepts suggestions for inclusion so if someone were to start a blog on TM movies or activities I think he would accept them into the feed.

#7 Jase180

Jase180

Villain

• Administrators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

We need to involve MS, Iclone and us.

They would sponser the event and also pony up prizes etc, well in theory.

Its alot of work, and I aint gunna do it, but I can help if anyone wants to take the lead.

This would mean an adult would be in charge. Here whats Sischs post taught me.

Most other Machinema is ripped content from games and NOT original, so I call lame from minute one when Sischs film doesnt get in but some of the other kinds of bullshit do.

All i am saying, its time that we consider the next evolutionary step

I would also attend a big event thing if we had such a thing

Edited by Jase180, 10 October 2008 - 12:20 AM.

#8 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

We need to involve MS, Iclone and us.

They would sponser the event and also pony up prizes etc, well in theory.

Its alot of work, and I aint gunna do it, but I can help if anyone wants to take the lead.

This would mean and adult would be in charge. Here whats Sischs post taught me.

Most other Machinema is ripped content from games and NOT original, so I call lame from minute one when Sischs film doesnt get in but some of the other kinds of bullshit do.

All i am saying, its time that we consider the next eveloutionary step

I would also attent a big event thing if we had such a thing

It would be a lot of work and it would have to somehow involve a whole lot more than just the community. I was also thinking that some kind of partnership with Iclone and moviestorm would be benificial as they are still putting money into their product and they seem to be in a similar boat as far as being looked down upon. Which is more than a little weird. Read through this faq from the academy of machinima.

http://www.machinima...hinima-faq.html

It seems to me like the focus of the movement is to advance computer generated animations. This seems easier to do with software that is designed to allow for ease of open ended storytelling instead of amusing tech guys and gameboys. Well maybe its just me.

One other thing, Iclone and Moviestorm were both to represent themselves at the 2008 Expo. Not sure if they still will being that its now virtual but I am really looking forward to seeing how the whole virtual expo is pulled off.

One thing I do get out of this idea jase is not that we should run an expo but that we should maybe work at getting guest judges from outside our community (but from within the machinima community) to sit in on a possible comp or even just to chime in on a thread such as this. This would serve many purposes from us hearing a new view and finding out how we stack up to others as well as maybe showing those outside what we are capable of. Plus one of the reasons I entered the Expo was not for the prize (as Im not sure there is one) but because the panel of judges looks very interesting.

Just a thought.

#9 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:26 AM

I'm pretty sure the movies we make qualify for this competition:

http://www.aniboom.c...08RulesAndRegs/

http://www.aniboom.com/awards2008/

Submissions are allowed through December 15, 2008.

#10 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

I posted this on another thread but I figured I'd repeat it here as it is relevant. This is the link for the Machinifeed:

Machinifeed

I think Phil Rice manages this as well. It's an RSS feed of Machinima related websites and blogs. He accepts suggestions for inclusion so if someone were to start a blog on TM movies or activities I think he would accept them into the feed.

I started this blog, with Ken's blessing (I wouldn't run rampantly around masquerading under the TMUnderground name without his advance approval):

http://tmunderground.blogspot.com/

If anyone wants to nominate it to machinifeed, I'm assuming the more nominations, the more likely it is to be added.

And if anyone could test that the feed is working by subscribing to it, that would be jolly.

#11 Elbow

Elbow

Don't Ration Your Passion

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

...if anyone could test that the feed is working by subscribing to it, that would be jolly.

Subscribed to

#12 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

Seems to be working fine ere, me dear...

#13 Nahton

Nahton

MovieStormer

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

Dulci,

Kudos to you. The blog looks great. As soon as I get my google account I will subscribe as a follower. I have submitted it as an addition to the Machinifeed. I am sure Phil will find it a worthy addition. :thumbup1:

Nahton

#14 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

Looking good... but how does one subscribe to it? If I open the subscription tab, I get several choices... and call me dense, but I dunno which one to choose? (I'm blog dumb... never did it! :))

#15 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I would love to provide an intelligent response Sisch, but I don't have any feed subscriptions to anything.

#16 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Quick tute:-

1) Go to the blog site.
2) Sign up
3) Once that's done, make sure you are back on the main page
4) Click on the drop-down below the "Subscribe To" and select "Atom" from the list.
5) This'll open a new window/tab. On the right hand side is a link saying "View Feed XML" (about 3/4 the way down the right hand pane). Click that.
6) This will give you a pop up dialogue that will ask if you want to Add a Live Bookmark. Add this to your Bookmarks Toolbar.

Et voila!

The one on the main movie site works the same way; it auto updates a link into your newly added bookmark showing the latest movie uploaded (it can take a while to filter through, tho; still, handy if you spend a lot of time away and want to catch up with the latest uploads quickly).

#17 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Killian!

I didn't sign up because I got angry at that Google sign-up - it's all well and nice to have those letters to make sure you're a person and not a spam-bot - but the letters have to be readable. Grrrr. :hammer:

Still, I have a live-bookmark now.

#18 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

Very interesting competiton - the 48 hour film project:

http://www.48hourfilm.com/machinima/

#19 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

Very interesting competiton - the 48 hour film project:

http://www.48hourfilm.com/machinima/

Thats a very interesting contest there Dulci. Perhaps we should gather up a team of peoples for vos, advise, whatever, who could be available that weekend for a given director (or better yet multiple directors) that want to enter.

Might also be cool if someone wrote a script and the scenes were divided among several directors.

I would need to check my calender but could see myself being available for vos. I dont think I could make a complete movie as I cant dedicate a full 48 hours to muich these days but I might be able to whip up a scene if we went that direction.

Just thinkin out loud.

#20 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

A new contest:

http://www.mytoons.c...reepy-cartoons/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users