• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

I hope to be there (naturally). I think it's on November 9th though, not 19th.

:cool

How right you are. Less time to scratch out an avatar than previously thunk.

#42 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

I'm planning/hoping to be there.

Also, from this thread:

http://z-studios.com....php?f=27&t=223

It looks like they are planning on getting together some info on how SL younglings can find their way to the conference.

Edited by Dulci, 29 October 2008 - 10:37 PM.

#43 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

The programming schedule is up for the Machinima Expo that takes place on Second Life on Nov 9. It is listed here:

http://www.machinima-expo.com/

I signed up to SL today, downloaded the software, got an avatar (biz robonaut) and eventually figured out where I needed to go. About an hour and a half was used before I made my way to Jamville and took a look at the empty facility. Along the way I checked out Amnity Island. Good times. Im kinda excited to see how this all works. Below is an image from SL of the EXPO Map. Notice, MovieStorm, Antics and Iclone will all be represented. Lots of theaters around. Reminds me of a worlds fair. Groovy.

I also attended the 2008 Machinima Festival on Saturday. I will try to write somethin up about my 3 hours there soon

Attached Files

Edited by thebiz, 03 November 2008 - 01:38 AM.

#44 Nahton

Nahton

MovieStormer

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the update biz. I almost snuck a peak last night but I needed to upgrade my SL first and I got sidetracked after that.

For the convenience of anyone else that wants to check it out here is the "slurl" to the Second Life venue. (Slurl = Second Life URL)

EXPO

#45 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

I was able to attend the 2008 Machinima Festival at the Eyebeam Center in NYC for approximately 3 hours on Saturday. Listened to some panel discussions, watched a few movies on a big screen and meandered about. I filmed a good bit of the panels in hopes of putting something together to release but quickly realized I dont have patience to edit 1:30 of film into anything relevant. Besides someone else (rikomatic.com) did it for me. Haha.

First panel discussion was titled "Where to from here?" and featured Douglas Gayeton, Chris Burke and Frank Dellario. Gayeton is the director of HBOs Molotov Alva. He provided plenty of interesting comments from his early gaffes such as videotaping the computer monitor, to sentiments that Machinima is completely misunderstood by mainstream media outlets, as well as an interesting mention of ownership of an avatar and possible legal issues involved in SL and machinima in general. A clip from him can be seen here.

Chris Burke is the creator and host of "This Spartan Life" which is a talk show created from multiplayer XBox Halo 2 sessions. He discussed making machinima from a professional standpoint as well discussing viewerships stats (50-60% as fans of the game software - hence the in jokes), a lot of referencesa to red vs blue and some discussion of intellectual property. Heres a clip.

Frank Dellario is the director of Machinima production at illclan animation studios. The Illclan website is definitely worth a look if your interested in seeing a real business that makes money through machinima (plus their Tiny Nation flicks are very funny and well made). I spoke with Frank breifly following the panel discussion and he mentioned that he was familiar with The Movies game and had something to do with the Movies S&E ad promotion. All 3 panelists were very well spoken, informed and seemed like nice enough fellows. A fine panel top start things off.

The "Game vs Filmmaker" panel was next. I caught only a small portion of this panel *(I left after about 20 minutes) and was dissapointed as it felt slapped together, some of the panel was missing and those that were there were largely in the 14-17 year old set. A big letdown as I thought by the title this would delve into the subject of making machinima that pleases the gameplayers vs story based films that attempt to rid themselves of the gamer stereotype. Oh well.

Headed out to the screening room and caught most of Clear Skies (Ian Chisolm - Eve Online, Halflife 2). Audio and sound design seemed really good and the vos were solid but I thought the space battles and exterior shots felt way to much like watching someone play a video game. I would blame that partially on the editor who perhaps would have benifited a fresh view from someone who doesnt play the video game. But what do I know. One thing of note is that the experience of watching a machinima film on a big screen with other people watching as well is very different from the usual laptop and headphones setup I'm used to. It was harder for me to pay attention but it looked very nice (and large) and the sound was good but it was a big room and headphones will always be superior. One cool thing that I saw was a guy bring his 8 year old son along, buy some popcorn and sit in front to watch the movie. Maybe Kid Millions will accompany me to a Fest somewhere down the line...sappy cats in the cradle commentary over.

Story vs Character Panel was shaping up to be very amusing with some writers from "As the Hamster Wheel Turns" (Comedic Soap Opera done with Time Splitters) and Tiny Nation (second life furball comedy). There were brief but amusing discussion of Machinima's future in Soft core skinemax features and an interesting difference between the panel members into the limits of the software in telling the story or portraying a character. The Hamster Turns guys were definitely inhibited by the Time Splitters platform with a lack of lip sync abilities while the Tiny Nation guys seemed to have a lot of resources at their side to get outside those boundaries.

Unfortunately, the panel was running way behind schedule and I had to head home about half way through. On my way out I heard some familiar music in the screening room and looked in to see Jonathan Jekill (the lone TM entry) playing on the big screen. It was not a good choice for representation. Not impressed at all in the production nor the story work. Cest la vie.

Overall, the event was worth my time. It was definitely interesting and broadened my horizons a bit (the use of second life in machinima is definitely intriguing - look at Tiny Nation or Moltov Alva). I wish I could have stayed longer. However, other than the free demo cd of Iclone3 that came with the program there was little to no discussion that I was privvy to about off the shelf software such as antics, iclone, moviestorm and the like. I wanted to ask the first panel about how they saw the future in relation to this type of software but my hand was raised a bit too tepidly and they were already bvehind schedule. Maybe next year.

#46 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks biz. I appreciate your post greatly.

Here's some more info on the event in SL this Sunday:

http://z-studios.com...machinexpo2008/

I'm particularly interested in the panel discussion on Women in Machinima.

Anyone know what timezone this schedule is listed in?

#47 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

Anyone know what timezone this schedule is listed in?

I emailed them about that, actually. No reply as yet. But at a guess, it's PST (LA time). Will advise when I get an answer.

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#48 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

You're right Bigg - it's PST. And now you know. And knowing is...half the battle.

#49 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

If you're in SL, you'll see me off and on throughout the event as Dulci Parx.

#50 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

Was there early this morning chatting with a Russian MovieStorm guy. We should have made some TMUnderground shirts. Hehe. NExt time I suppose. Ill be there later in the day under the name Biz Robonaught. Hope to see you there.

#51 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

So...Did anyone make it out to the fest? And if so, what was the experience?

I was there a couple of times but suffered some serious lag, had problems getting the videos to play and eventually siffered the blue screen of death. As I dont get a lot of blue screens this was a scary turnoff for me. Probably wont be a big SL participant from here out and my experience at the festival consisted of watching a bunch of avatars dance around the main stage and watching a loop from Zencubes tech demo. Erg.

Anyone have a better experience?

#52 Norrie

Norrie

Banned

• Banned
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

I failed miserably. I was having internet troubles due to some serious storms around here. Knowing how much the event would lag normally, I didn't even bother logging in.

#53 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Just saw Dulci's breif discussion of a panel she sat in on, on the blog. For those interested.

#54 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

So...Did anyone make it out to the fest? And if so, what was the experience?

I was there a couple of times but suffered some serious lag, had problems getting the videos to play and eventually siffered the blue screen of death. As I dont get a lot of blue screens this was a scary turnoff for me. Probably wont be a big SL participant from here out and my experience at the festival consisted of watching a bunch of avatars dance around the main stage and watching a loop from Zencubes tech demo. Erg.

Anyone have a better experience?

I sat next to our celebrity Biggstreak during the awards ceremony. Aside from some sound problems, this was pretty well-organized.

Earlier in the day I watched two movies in a group setting and enjoyed reading their comments as the movies played.

I liked the panel on women in machinima (as you noticed, I put up a commentary on the blog) - I only wish I had been on the panel because obviously it's a subject close to my heart and I had a gazillion things to say.

Biggs did find another TheMovies flick playing from the German community.

Oh! One big finding -------
The Sims machinima creators said that they have a large surplus of voiceactress and a short supply of voiceactors. Next time I have a big casting call, I'm going to head to their forums and see if I can find any voiceactresses.

#55 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

:blushing: I guess I was more chatty than I realized, as I just read in another blog that I was one of the panelists.

Oops! And here I was thinking that I had held my tongue.

#56 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hahaha..very funny. On the bright side, they must have thought it interesting and well spoken if they had you as a panelist.

#57 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

My two cents regarding the 2008 MachinExpo:

As I said to Dulci at the time, it was a very surreal experience, sitting in a virtual theatre, watching people standing on a stage talking and typing to each other. And then to watch the films being shown on the screen behind them (and other places). All while we really sit at our computers at home with the TV in the background and the dog lying at your feet (or whatever) Bizarre.

However, weird as it was (this was my first venture into Second Life) it was one that I'd like to do again. being able to watch movies at the same time as others, and make comments and listen to feedback from the directors was quite a cool experience. Makes me wish I'd gone to those premieres back at FSN.

It was all very well run and only had a few hiccoughs that I experienced. One was a "griefer" (?) that decided to sit ON the microphone on stage as Phil Rice and co. presented the Jury prizes. lol (The person in question was quickly banned.) The only other issue was that they had to restart the video streams a couple of times (and those that didn't have Quicktime installed had to go out and get that to watch them.) Minor things.

Oh, and my last little hassle was when I went to leave... Second Life crashed on me. I didn't get the blue screen of death as thebiz did, but a crash is a crash is a crash.

I'd definitely go to a similar event in the future. it was fun for the short time I was there (about 90 minutes to 2 hours, I think.) Not that I would do it myself, but the idea of premiering a movie or even organizing a group gathering of TMUers to a similar "film night" might be one worth considering for the social aspect as well as the immediacy of feedback you can get from such an event.

And would I go back to Second Life just to experience Second Life? Probably not. But it makes a cool tool for this kind of thing.

:sorcerer:

[Edit: The other TM movie I found was a German one by co-directed by David Riedel (meowan) called "The Abyss Within Us", though it was only a partial screening.

I'm not sure how many people got to see my movie (The Terrible Old Man) as when I saw it, I was the only one there, and later on Nahton watched it and again he was the only one present... lol]

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#58 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

Glad to hear that you folks had a better experience.

A TMU movie night would be a very cool idea. Not sure how we would go about setting up such a thing but I would definitely try to attend something like that as another drawback for me in SL was not knowing anyone.

#59 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:59 PM

I'm not sure how many people got to see my movie (The Terrible Old Man) as when I saw it, I was the only one there, and later on Nahton watched it and again he was the only one present... lol]

It's good to have fan.

I'll see what's out there in terms of setting up some kind of video channel, either one including it's own chat function, or something we can use in conjunction with the TMOA chat.

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#60 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

There's a machinima voicechat conference this Sunday in SL.

http://z-studios.com...ce-this-sunday/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users