• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

My pleasure Venger, thanks for the encouragement.

December 2011

Khronotopia (Live Action) - Another great live action short from TR3. Love the "sound but no words" aspect of this and the editing is once again top notch. The story will speak to those fed up with being so connected these days. Good stuff.

TWCS 3: The Wrath of Claus (Various) - The emperor of TMU Xmas specials returns once again to kick ass and get lap dances. Another smorgasbord of giggles, guffaws and yes, true laughter. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 14 July 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#22 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

January 2012

Excursion ™ - The Movies goes all 2001 in this well made scifi tale.

Dejalo Para Usted (MS) - A quircky journey that marries the mundane to the bizarre, inspires countless fruit and nut themed reviews and beats Will Farrell to the punch.

Lighthouse ™ - Mysterious, creepy and open to interpretation. A ghost story done right. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#23 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

February 2012

TumbleWeed 2 ™ - Great comedic voice acting makes this solid comedy western worth a watch.

Spiritism ™ - 5 minute ghost story well told and well executed. BOO!

Dejelo Para Usted Part 2 (MS) - If I didn't know better I would think Kwis was parodying Empire Strikes Back here with an excellent cave dwelling episode in the ongoing search for fruit and nut.

Rouge ™ - This one gets a perfect score with a moody dreamlike atmosphere, excellent sound and music choices, wonderful transitions and editing and for being fresh as a baby. My cup of tea. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 08 July 2015 - 01:55 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

March 2012

Birmingham Hearts ™ - Cute as a flapper girl and tight as a drum. Silent, silly short satisfies.

The Row (iC) - Huge attention to detail mixed with a solid noir story set in Steinbecks Cannery Row. Very, very good.

Bronco and Billy: The Green Bean Casserole (iC) - B&B is B-movie style with A-Movie skills. Abrasive but enjoyable like drinking Dr. Pepper through a steel wool straw. Tastes good, chaffes the lips. Highly memorable. Movie of the Month!

#25 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

April 2012

The Great Bug War (MS) - As epic and immense as I've seen from the MovieStorm software. An ode to genre and a highly entertaining mix of technique, story and fun.

Nemesis (iC) - Nails the look and the sound of the desert while weaving a tale of clashing cultures.

Evil Empire ™ - Beat Poem depicts a moment in the life of a flesh and blood gigilo and his digital conquest. Super fun and wonderfully unique. To quote another review, ElmerLang must be a blast a parties. Movie of the Month!

#26 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

May 2012

The 15th Floor (MS) - Dark and gristly. Watch at night with the lights off.

Stay The Course Episode 1 (iC) - Lively characters in outrageous situations. Very well written and genuinely funny with enough emotion to make me care.

The Chapelside Deception (MS) - Once again IceAxe is off the beaten path with a sports based documentary style story set in the 70's. And yet again he manages to be entertaining and stylish while making me proud to watch our style of machinima. Excellent. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#27 Grey Dingo

Grey Dingo

an almond shaped emu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'm not sure how old the last posting was that included the excellent Ruth. September last, perhaps? (woops - ages ago, apparently!)

I was struck by how wonderfully original and theatrical this work is, a very inspiring piece that goes a long way to rekindling the excitement you feel about what is and isn't possible with machinima. Thanks for bringing this one to light for me.

And as always, a big tip of the hat to The Biz for his continued excellent series threads.

Edited by Grey Dingo, 26 June 2012 - 06:03 AM.
I'm a bit behind the times

#28 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Agreed. All hail thebiz.
Posted Image

#29 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thanks fellas. Ruth is one of my favorites too Grey Dingo. Be sure to check out IceAxe's latest, "The Chapelside Deception" (May's Movie of the Month) as its also really really good.

JUNE 2012

Libre Abitre (Free Will) (MS) - Outstanding morality play about a the redemption of an assassin. Excellent Moviestorm work. The chess set title scene was excellent as were many well crafted moments. French with easy to read English subtitles.

The Steinway Corruption - More crazed and highly entertaining live action work from TMUs resident film student, Timothy Richmond III. TR3 amps up the manic, shizoid energy in this dark tale about a girl and her piano. Great editing. Its fun to watch a guy learn and ply his craft. MOVIE OF THE MONTH!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#30 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

July 2012

Bride of Grindhouse Time (mixed) - A massive collaboration project presents exploitation tales meant to thrizzle. This could play on a loop on a 17" analog tv in the machinima dive bar of your choice.

Crash Cody Episode 1 (MS) - Stoner humor by way of SCTV takes on classic sci-fi serial material. My favorite moment occurs at the end when I realized nothing had actually happened. Are these guys Canadian? Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#31 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

August 2012

Robert Dows Chapter 1 ™ - A cool french noir tale at times stylish and at others overly stylized. Great action scenes.

Card Tricks (iC) - Nifty tale of magic and imagination. Homespun storytelling.

Upset Circuitry ™ - Sunset Blvd meets Romeo is Bleeding as told with the Movies. A brisk, fun and sassy production. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#32 Grey Dingo

Grey Dingo

an almond shaped emu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

August

Upset Circuitry ™ - Sunset Blvd meets Romeo is Bleeding as told with the Movies. A brisk, fun and sassy production. Movie of the Month!

.... You know, I started to say something a few times about The Movies animation engine and how it's manipulated (or not) these days by newcomers and old-hands alike in the computer animation world.... and I realised that in the past I've alienated quite a few people by urging them (publicly in quasi vitriol) to abandon the platform altogether and move on to more advanced pastures. Hmm.

BUT Here's an entertaining piece that is beautifully created out of thin air, showing a style and flair in the same casual manner as one would flick away a buzzing fly. It seems so easy, and there's the magic of it all. This is a fun creation on all levels.

Thanks - pff, as always, duh - Biz, for highlighting a great little piece.

Edited by Grey Dingo, 19 November 2012 - 01:52 AM.
I needed to put a "BUT" in

#33 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

September 2012

Three foreign language films each made with The Movies. A very tough choice this month.

No Man's Land: Chapter 1 ™ - World War 1 drama, well made and well acted. Slow but grows on me and had me fully hooked by the end.

Last Line ™ - Gilga goes scifi with this creepy dark tale that feels wonderfully fresh and unique (despite the ominous but easily identifiable "2001" music).

Benicio ™ -
My favorite TM director shows off his skill with many ooh-la-la moments including one of the finest Movies software driving scenes I've seen (finely crafted and subtle). Sexy action cool. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 08 July 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#34 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Oh snap! Benicio WAS great.
Very stylish and well crafted, what did he edit it with?
Posted Image

#35 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

October 2012

James Nightmare ™ - Modtastic trip down the hellish rabbit hole.

12 Cemetery Drive (MS) - Ghost story with great (after)effects.

One Small Step (iC) - Genuinely funny astronaut humor with good comedic dialog.

Pickman's Model (MS) - JKW, Lovecraft, Halloween. End transmission.

The Trap (iC) - Surreal chainsaw torture fairyland tail is ghastly and ethereal. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#36 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

November 2012

Underpants Away Episode 3 (IC) - Come for the jokes, stay for the marvel of seeing a TM movie ported to Iclone. Then go home (she aint open all night).

The Audition (IC) - SmallWStudio's masterpiece of cross-dressing carnies and big dreams. Super cool color manipulation and groovy music to boot.

Remember Me (IC) - Outstanding, horrific tale that I don't want to revisit (worst nightmare material).

Hero Chronicles (MS) - Captures the Star Wars Canteena vibe perfectly.

Tough Tim's SciFi Extravaganza - A superb, meta, uber clever comedy featuring DCMF jabs, Blender jokes, rednecks, alien elvis', a amusing batman scene and wonderful comedic voices and pacing. I love this movie. My favorite TM comedy in a long while and the most underseen/underrated TMU flick of the year. Movie of the Month!

Edited by thebiz, 04 August 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#37 Grey Dingo

Grey Dingo

an almond shaped emu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Remember Me should be seen for its sheer, out-of-the-box filmmaking brilliance. Careful though - it's a tough ride.

Thanks Biz for putting it on my radar.

#38 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

December 2012

Dangerous Desire ™ - A simple premise done right. Good writing and editing.

Moments in the Abyss ™ - Super serious discussion with some cool moddery in the beginning. Solid philosophizing drama.

Change the Way you Kissed Me (IC) - A somewhat cheesy (but good looking) dance video in the "Bring It On" vein with a hook that elevates it to excellence.

Sweet Temptation (IC) - Cute to funny to hilarious. Mmmmm, cream filled yumminess. Movie of the Month

Edited by thebiz, 08 July 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#39 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

January 2013

It Scared Me to Death (IC)
- Lovecraft in a slow southern drawl. Kinda surreal.

Some Day (IC) - WW2 action with an impressive scope and GregSin's personable charm.

Excidium (IC) - In space no one can hear your Dr Strangelove homage.

Coda (IC)- Freaky, creepy and dark with great evil voiceover. Movie of the Month.

#40 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

February 2013

The Dolphin's Bloody Tear (IC) - A splash of the political to Shiddog's cryptically bizarre and bloody skin-flick.

Midnight ™ - Arthouse philosophical horror history analogy (or something).

Rotten to the Core (MS) - Sexy action spy thriller has more twists than Chubby Checker (hooha!).

Run Amok ™ - Dialog free death wish styled vengeance flick is stylish and entertaining.

The Amazing Fantastical, Electrical Adventures of Young Tesla (IC) - Lives up to it's flamboyant name. Action! Adventure! Intrigue! Movie of the Month!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users