• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 WX_IVAN

WX_IVAN

Silent but violent

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

Many of these ideas are pretty good and I hope are considered and executed. However, to leave this thread open for a whole year kinda defeats the purpose. What I'm saying is you'll be pulling out your newly regrown hair trying to finalize everything suggested at the last minute. I hope there will be another way... :blink:
12920471_10154801016902699_9026941978120[sig]/[sig]

#42 Killian

Killian

Hello, TMU, I'm baaackkkk!

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, UK

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

When I said "end of the year" I meant December this year, not next year :D

That gives us a coupla months to sort out the results and get a finalised plan, then time to put it into operation for the next awards in July.

#43 riott007

riott007

Goats Fuck Holla

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

I hate to tell you this but every field / category is a popularity contest. That being said...when are we going to have a TMU Miss America contest?

I honestly did not vote in the ollies- it was a bit long winded and I had forgotten which movies I had watched during the year. So the simpler the better and I think there should be an obvious field entitled: "Who do I like the most." so we can figure out who is suck ass and who isn't right from the get go.

Edited by riott007, 02 November 2010 - 06:01 PM.
because i can't spell.

#44 stvndysn

stvndysn

COMING BACK SOON

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

I hate to tell you this but every field / catagory is a popularity contest. That being said...when are we going to have a TMU Miss America contest?

I honestly did not vote in the ollies- it was a bit long winded and I had forgotten which movies I had watched during the year. So the simpler the better and I think there should be an obvious field entitled: "Who do I like the most." so we can figure out who is suck ass and who isn't right from the get go.

so there you go killian and tom add a miss tmu america award just for riott

#45 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

A lot of these ideas are good. I'm willing to help with any of this. One of the things I thought of immediately when I voted was that it would have been nice if every category included links to the item being voted on.

* as an aside, for screenplay, would we need to see the screenplay? or is this to be deduced from the production? I was never clear on that.

Anyway, if it sounds at all appealing, we can have a submission form for people to use to get their film in for consideration. They can include links to the work to be considered. Then we can have a voting form that aggregates all of these submissions for all of the correct categories (not every film would qualify for every category, even if we have fewer categories). The voting form can clarify what each category means (similar to what this recent form did) to help voting. I suspect a lot of this can be scripted (as in programmed). I'm willing to give it a shot, though I don't claim to be a web programmer.

As an another aside, not everything is a popularity contest (or at least not 100% so). I voted without knowing most of the people involved, and just made it a point to watch (or re-watch) the films involved in the category. I still don't know many of the TMU people, and the community is growing.

And we should definitely not have a Miss America contest.

It should be Miss TMU. Riot will still win, of course. :)

rgr

#46 WarLord

WarLord

Legend in his Own Mind

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Have as many categories as you want as long as we get to vote for the ones we know and not be forced to vote for all.

No showreels or recap reels. That could lead to another category in itself. What if they make their movie look better in the showreel than it might have actually been? Showreels are skills unto themselves. A lot of people can make something look good for a few minutes. How many of us have been to a movie that sucked when we saw a showreel or trailer that rocked?

Pick a way to nominate and stick to it. Both ways (community and committee) have various pros and cons.

As to modding... it is often misunderstood by non-modders. No slam meant here. If you haven't done it then its hard to get a grasp on what it is. Things that look hard can be easy and things that look easy can be very hard. I have no problem with just one overall modder award or many category modding awards as long as no one is forced to make a vote. Modders voting for modders is not a bad thing.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:
Ban DL from the ollies. No real reason... just like ragging on him. Some people are lovable...DL is raggable (new word of the day).

I LIVE to anymate, irritate and machinamate. Not necessarily in that order.

#47 DL Watson

DL Watson

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:
Ban DL from the ollies. No real reason... just like ragging on him. Some people are lovable...DL is raggable (new word of the day).

I love you too Warlord. :P
Posted Image

#48 stvndysn

stvndysn

COMING BACK SOON

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:

haha ha raggable love it :tank:

#49 riott007

riott007

Goats Fuck Holla

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Any retard can mod...look at me..I'm a modder now. I have watched Lucinda's tutorials.

#50 WarLord

WarLord

Legend in his Own Mind

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

Any retard can mod...look at me..I'm a modder now. I have watched Lucinda's tutorials.

Certainly hard to argue with that logic.:001_cool:

I LIVE to anymate, irritate and machinamate. Not necessarily in that order.

#51 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:05 AM

That's not totally true, Riott. Helen Keller can't mod for crap.

Oh NO he DIDN"T!

TPK

Edited by TehPoptartKid, 03 November 2010 - 05:18 AM.

#52 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

Strange how you thought of Helen Keller when that name came up......

In all seriousness though, that was poor form lol, even for you TPK :D
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#53 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Every sphinter has had their whinge, so i thought i would as well. I am a firm believer in the 'kiss' system. Haveing so many awards is like giving a 'participation' award out to everyone who tried out. And making a best of for something.

For example; Best actor; killian, for his role in 'The Brief Man'. Not just a general nomination for being best actor. ( Please not Killian was an example, because he could never be brief. :P )

My nominations would be:
Best Director
Best Film
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Writer
Best Musical Score
Best Modded Set
Best Modded Prop
Best Musical Score
Best Live Action
Best Special Visual FX
Best Sound Editing

Keep it simple stupid.

I don't see why it needs to be so complicated.

And nominate, I would have, but films i wanted to nominate were already nominated.

#54 rposhard

rposhard

I am the Wogglebug (choo choo ka-choo)

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

There are some categories that I agree need to be made mandatory -- as Killian pointed out, it forces people to watch films that they would not normally watch -- and there are categories that everyone should be nominating in.

Then there are categories that could be broken down where only certain artists with knowledge and skill in that area are nominating. I'll be honest, I'm not qualified to nominate what is the "Best Modded Set" or "Best Musical Score" because I can't do those things and have no clue on the difficulties involved in creating them. You might want to consider doing what The Oscars do: people in a specific field vote for others in their field in the nomination phase -- composers nominate composers, actors nominate actors, set designers nominate set designers, etc. This might make the nomination phase go a little smoothly and provide a more accurate "short list" of the best for the final voting.

Another rule for The Oscars is that you are not allowed to participate in the final voting phase unless you have seen all of the nominated films. Unfortunately, I see no way to enforce that, so I'll just toss that out to everyone who votes: Make it your responsibility to watch all of the films before making that final vote. In most cases, you'll be glad you did.

Finally, I don't want you to add more categories, but by the same token I have always felt it was a little unfair that comedic and dramatic actors and writers are always dumped into the same categories when they are two different art forms. However, I bow to the fact that "that way madness lies" -- I'll just throw the comment out there leave it at that.

BOTTOM LINE: The Ollies are your gig, and I think it's great that you are interested in people's feedback -- but at the end of the day, they are your creation and should be done in the way you feel is best. If you try to incorporate every idea thrown out in this thread, you'll go Screaming Yellow Zonkers down the hallway. So by all means, listen to what people have to say. Then go out and do it in the fashion that best fits your needs and schedules. You guys do a next-to-impossible job each year, and you seem to be doing it well.

Over and out.
Posted ImageListen to CEREBUS THE AARDVARK Sundays on TMOA! Second Season scripts 100% complete! Check out the Casting Call Thread HERE!

#55 riott007

riott007

Goats Fuck Holla

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

I think comedic actors and writers should have their own awards thing - because comedic actors / writers don't get enough credit. (it's hard to think up funny shit!!)

Anyways, I re-read what I wrote the other day and I apologize to all the modders. I can't really mod :(

Also, another suggestion...we could just put everybody's name in a hat...:clap: (I like that icon)

In the end, you can't please everybody. Pick out the suggestions you like...and slap meat on the rest of it.

#56 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

There are some categories that I agree need to be made mandatory -- as Killian pointed out, it forces people to watch films that they would not normally watch -- and there are categories that everyone should be nominating in.

Forcing people to do something they would not normally do is is not the way to increase participation.

Less mandates, requirements, rules and formats.

More fun, nudity and good will towards men.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#57 IceAxe

IceAxe

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

Wow! I've just caught up with this thread.

I didn't vote this year because I felt it was unfair to vote in categories where I hadn't watched any movies. (TBH I'm not a big movie *watcher* I just prefer to make movies. Like Lego, I always enjoyed making stuff, but never played with the final creation :) )

So for me, allowing selective voting in categories would be a step forward.

I like the fact that there are so many awards - it creates a sense of occassion.

I do think though that because it's a bit of a beauty pageant, there are always going to be a small number of really standout films which wipe the board (isn't democracy a pesky nuisance! :) ) so I'm quite receptive to the judging panel idea, because there's some real hidden gems out there which will get overlooked for various reasons.
Posted Image

#58 Mefune Akira

Mefune Akira

Laugh Damn It!

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Not sure if this has been covered already, but what about an open ballot slot added to each category?

Best Picture
1. Joe Shmo
2. GI Bob
3. Paris Love
4. _________

Whether you go with a panel or open nominations, I think this way there still is a chance for the "hidden gems" to get their vote. A bit of a pain in the butt for the award show's staff to go through, but there it is.

Posted Image

#59 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

It might be a cool idea but really, doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of having a nomination phase? I mean, what's the point of narrowing it down if you're still gonna allow voters to choose any film they want?

I also think based on the evidence of what people have been saying here, the hidden gems are still not gonna have much of a chance. I mean, if these films make it into the top three of a category then based on what people have said, they're gonna be too lazy to watch them anyway... I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for smaller or lesser known studios getting recognition. I was delighted that Reepicheep got some nods this year. However, I don't think he was ever likely to win anything because not enough people knew who he was and couldn't be bothered to check out his stuff before voting :(

Although efforts probably do need to be made to get the lesser known studios more recognition, I don't think it'll change anything as long as people refuse to make fully informed choices...
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#60 shidden

shidden

Its A Dildo International

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

studios? that sounds so professional... im still doing my movies by me, myself and i :gunsmilie:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users