• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

#601 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

I rewatched Marathon Man tonight.  Man what a great movie.  I think I put it my top 10.  Its that moment when Dustin Hoffman is throwing handfuls of diamonds at Laurence Olivier.  Its such an moment of altruism vs evil incarnate.  Plus other great moments like when Hoffman realizes his girl has set him up and kinda takes it  stride with his remark about how pretty she is.  Its amazing to realize this is nearly 10 years after the Graduate (which might also be in my top 10).  Arent we about due for a great Hoffman role or did he just get too old? Roy Schnieder is a badass in this one that kinda reminds me of ApocNow Martin Sheen in the Hotel Room.  Buff, trim and ready for action.  Then 3 years later he's Brody, married and done.  Anyway, Marathon Man.  Awesome!  (and no I havent been to the dentist in more than a decade)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#602 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

I've seen a fair few movies in the past month or so..

The Revenant was visually stunning with a great cast and sparse music that was powerful and moving when it was used. Everyone has been talking about Leo's performance but for me Tom Hardy stole the show. Story was the only shortfall here, which was unfortunate as the direction really deserved more. It was okay but just felt like it was going through the motions and there were no real twists or surprises. Still the best movie I've seen in a while though.

Star Wars I have seen twice at this point (and will be seeing a third time in Imax on Saturday). Visually this was incredible - JJ Abrams has taken the franchise into the modern day but still manages to retain the familiarity you come to expect from a Star Wars movie. Returning characters were nice to see but I was really impressed by how awesome the new characters were! Yeah it wasn't perfect - there were some weird dialogue sequences and the story had more than a hint of déjà-vu about it - but it was exciting and fun, and definitely more like the original series than the prequels. Roll on the next one!

The Big Short was fun and quirky, and actually a damn good movie which was a lot better than I expected. Christian Bale, Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling carried the story beautifully - throwing the audience off guard with laughs seconds before slamming down cold facts about the world's financial situation. It was really effective. The editing and shooting style was also really interesting - there were lots of moments where the characters would go out of focus and back in and the handheld camera would jerk awkwardly from one shot to the next, as if the whole thing was being shot on the fly. It had a weird retro mockumentary type vibe that I really enjoyed. Would definitely recommend.

And finally last weekend I went to see Spotlight, which was about the investigation done by the Boston Globe in the early 00s into the Catholic church's cover-ups involving priests who had sexually abused children. This apparently led to similar scandals being uncovered all over the world. Anyway it was a decent movie. Michael Keaton gave a good performance and Mark Ruffalo was excellent in his role. It reminded me a fair bit of All the President's Men and Serpico, I guess because films about journalists only have so many directions they can take, especially ones based on factual events. It was alright, I would say if you enjoyed the other two I mentioned you might enjoy this.

So that's all for now.. But I most likely will be seeing plenty more movies in the near future as I've recently purchased an unlimited access card for the cinema.. So to justify having it I really need to go watch loads of movies now.. And I'm fine with that.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
"Mac is a super-talented frickin genius" - Chris62

#603 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

Good call Mac.  I want to see all those aside from Star Wars.  I was required to see that one with Kid Millions on opening day.  Im really hoping to see Hail, Ceasar this month.

I created a long list of movies to watch on Netflix after much research and then once I sat down to pick one of my selections Kid Millions saw an image of a crazy tiger monster and said lets watch that.  So all my research out the window and we settled down to watch "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons" with no knowledge of what it was.  Turns out it is a Stephen Chow movie from 2013 that is the highest grossing Chinese language movie ever.  We are big fans of Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, both over the top, crazy visual kung fu movies.  Journey to the West is in that vein with a lot more fantasy dug in.  Its got demon fish (awesome scenes), demon pigmen, demon monkees, a bunch of demon killers, a lot of kung fu, some great music and a lot of zany stephen chow humor.  Not nearly as good as Kung Fu Hustle (if you havent seen that one...well you should) but its pretty good fun.

#604 homemadeeye

homemadeeye

Net Worth: 50,000 VCs

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

I just watched Miller's Crossing for the first time, which was long overdue. I loved it, and now it's in contention for being my favorite Coen Brothers' movie.

#605 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Miller's Crossing is great!  I still keep Barton Fink as my number 1 but MC is in the top 3 for me.

I watched TurboKid on netflix last night with Kid Millions.  Its a low budget gorefest about a kid in the postapocalypse who befriends a cute robot girl and finds a hand blaster weapon that turns him into something of a superhero.  Michael Ironside (the roughneck commander from Starship Troopers) is about the only name actor I recognized and 3/4 of the budget must have gone into the fake blood department as the gore is comedically high.  Not great but Kid Millions loved it as it plays like Hell Comes to Frogtown for 10 year old boys...well Hell Comes to Frogtown was made for 10 yr old boys as well.

#606 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:27 AM

Watched Creed tonight.  Enjoyed it.  Rocky Balboa (2006) was an ok closing chapter (which was quickly eclipsed by the horrible Grudge Match..uhg) but this \was a really good update to the series.  I liked the Creed character who explored some daddy issues and played on the heart of the boxer (contrasted by a simple exchange about Rocky's kid) without becoming too much a cliche.  Rocky was Rocky albiet old Rock.  Music was good and the movie hit the right Rocky beats and had chills going up my spine even as I cringed at the brain damage (par for the course).  If you liked the first 4 Rockys, you'll likely like this unless your my son who hated not seeing Rocky in good shape (I think Rambo 3 might be his favorite movie so...Im a bad dad...or a really great one.  Speaking of this, I had a parent teacher meeting yesterday where I noticed Kid Millions had several doodles in his writing notebook that were labeled "Turbo Kid" which made me proud.  See above.).  Hard to watch this and not think about the Oscar mess.  Lot of solid performances here that could have bailed water.  Cest la vie.

#607 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

I watched Deadpool the other day. Man. That was an experience. It was fantastic. So many good one liners from Deadpool.

#608 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:05 AM

I finally watched Ex Machina tonight.  Pretty excellent futuristic film noir (ok, hint of frankenstien but more kiss me deadly in there).  Slow burn but well made and Oscar Issac is kind of a badass.

• Johnny Ex and macwemyss like this

#609 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

I finally watched Ex Machina tonight.  Pretty excellent futuristic film noir (ok, hint of frankenstien but more kiss me deadly in there).  Slow burn but well made and Oscar Issac is kind of a badass.

Ex Machina was excellent. Such a nice thing to see a sci fi that remains primarily focused on its story rather than jamming cool gadgets down our throats and expecting that to suffice.

I recently saw Deadpool twice, Zootopia (or Zootropolis in the UK) and High Rise.

Deadpool was great. The first time I watched it was in a packed UK cinema and the place was howling with laughter for most of the duration. Second time was in America with Ben and the place was almost empty, which was good because the jokes still held up the second time without an audience. Crude but witty writing, doesn't take itself too seriously and a great performance by Ryan Reynolds, with some really cool action scenes to boot. Definitely stands out as a superhero movie in a genre that's become a bit stale lately.

Zootopia I again saw in America with Ben and we both enjoyed it. As always with Disney, the animation work and voiceovers are fantastic. They always do a great job of capturing feelings and personality which helps the audience to empathise with the characters and their story. The concept of an alternate universe inhabited entirely by animals co-existing had potential and could have been very interesting to explore. Disappointingly however, as with the likes of Tangled, it tended to follow a tried and tested predictable story arc and rarely attempted anything new or groundbreaking (as Pixar seem to do successfully with almost every film). Overall, it was a very polished, cute adventure film and we had fun watching it, but as with most of the pure Disney releases, it just fell short when it came to offering up something new.

Now High Rise was something else entirely. My girlfriend and I had intended to see Hail Caesar but it was inexplicably sold out on a Tuesday afternoon, so we opted for High Rise instead. I wasn't aware that it was based on a book but as a film I felt that it more than held its own both visually and from a story telling perspective. It is a film I can imagine splitting opinions however. As much as my girlfriend and I enjoyed the film, several people left the screening halfway through, with one guy behind me grumbling that it was the worst film he'd ever seen. I can understand their reactions; the film isn't for everyone. It's difficult to describe it without revealing too much but the tone is darkly humourous and the editing masterfully done to create a fluid depiction of a group of people going slowly insane. Some of the most important and suggestive shots are only on screen for less than a second, while other times we can linger on something seemingly irrelevant for half a minute. Each shot is packed with layer upon layer of clues and meaning which I assume is where the book's depth of story comes into play. In terms of the story, it makes sense.. but only just. We are placed just on the verge of understanding what's going on, and that's where the film keeps us throughout. Some of the bizarre scenarios reminded me of a Coen Brothers film mixed with the party scene from Midnight Cowboy. The soundtrack was awesome and the lead actors were great, particularly Tom Hiddlestone, Luke Evans and Jeremy Irons. I don't know if I would recommend this film to everyone because I can't guarantee you would enjoy it, but I did. I'd like to watch it again at some point to really catch some of the visual cues I may have missed before. It is an acid trip of a film that I won't soon forget, that's for sure :)

• thebiz likes this

#610 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

High Rise definitely looks interesting.  Will check that one out when its available.

I saw "He Never Died" this weekend.  With relatively low expectations I really enjoyed this one.  A depressing old but fun curmudgeonly Henry Rollins is a man with issues just trying to get by.  Kinda reminded me of a dark cannibalistic version of   "As Good as it Gets".  Yea, that describes it pretty well.  Normally I try to include links to the trailer but somewhere in there the trailer leaks Jack's identity which was a good twist and one of the better points of the movie (imo) so no trailer for you.  Instead, here is a clip...

#611 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:34 AM

I've recently watched three movies.

Money Monster

Trainspotting

Whiplash

Money Monster: I don't want to spoil it for anybody, so I'll just say I thought it was good. Well worth a watch.

Trainspotting: Reminds me of A Clockwork Orange. Bunch of buddies do bad and twisted stuff, but in this case, they do it to support their heroin addiction. The editing is top notch, and there's a few intense scenes in that movie. For instance: Ewan Mcgregors character locked in his room and trying to come down from his heroin addiction. The room changes shape, he sees his friend, he sees the dead baby walking on the ceiling, he has the shakes and quivers, it's crazy. This movie is fantastic.

Whiplash: A student drummer at a musical conservatory who gets mentored by this strict professor. This movie is also well edited. It's also exhilarating, and intense. You can really feel the animosity between Andrew and Fletcher.

#612 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:02 AM

Now High Rise was something else entirely. My girlfriend and I had intended to see Hail Caesar but it was inexplicably sold out on a Tuesday afternoon, so we opted for High Rise instead. I wasn't aware that it was based on a book but as a film I felt that it more than held its own both visually and from a story telling perspective. It is a film I can imagine splitting opinions however. As much as my girlfriend and I enjoyed the film, several people left the screening halfway through, with one guy behind me grumbling that it was the worst film he'd ever seen. I can understand their reactions; the film isn't for everyone. It's difficult to describe it without revealing too much but the tone is darkly humourous and the editing masterfully done to create a fluid depiction of a group of people going slowly insane. Some of the most important and suggestive shots are only on screen for less than a second, while other times we can linger on something seemingly irrelevant for half a minute. Each shot is packed with layer upon layer of clues and meaning which I assume is where the book's depth of story comes into play. In terms of the story, it makes sense.. but only just. We are placed just on the verge of understanding what's going on, and that's where the film keeps us throughout. Some of the bizarre scenarios reminded me of a Coen Brothers film mixed with the party scene from Midnight Cowboy. The soundtrack was awesome and the lead actors were great, particularly Tom Hiddlestone, Luke Evans and Jeremy Irons. I don't know if I would recommend this film to everyone because I can't guarantee you would enjoy it, but I did. I'd like to watch it again at some point to really catch some of the visual cues I may have missed before. It is an acid trip of a film that I won't soon forget, that's for sure :)

High-rise is now in Netflix and I managed to watch it tonight. Reminded me a bit of Requium for a Dream mixed with Brazil and perhaps a touch of Caligula thrown in for good measure. Glad I saw it but not entirely positive if I liked it.

#613 sexymaria

sexymaria

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

Recently: Suicide Squad, Money Monster, Bad Boss, Nice Guys, X-Men Apocalypse, Independence Day, BatmanVsSuperman

Usually I find DC movies very dry but SS was much more lively, in a "Con-Air" sort a way if thats your thing.

MM was good. BB was good. Nice Guys was great. X-men visually impressive. Keeps you interested, they always seem to have a hogworts feel to it. Independence Day, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't unlike it. Not at all the original. However I didn't find it the grave sucking abomination that the papers declared it. The script was lacking but being such a long movie I wonder what fell to the cutting room floor. BvsS didn't develop great. Was ok.

A good series I watch was 11.22.63 starring James Franco and Chris Cooper. About a professor who's friend has the ability to time travel just before Kennedy gets shot.

Looking forward to DrStrange

Banner_Newer.png

#614 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:36 AM

Watched Bronson tonight starring Bane...er...Tom Hardy as Britain's most violent prisoner.  Ive been putting this one off for some reason but tonight I dialed it up on Netflix and I really liked it.  Its got a lot of Clockwork Orange in it and a lot of Tom Hardy's penis so double win!  I loved how it made me root for his despicable nature. I loved the cinematography and the colors,  I loved the music (very Nicolas Refn - Drive - 80s tecno).  Really good flick.  I guess this means I gotta visit "Only God Forgives" in the near future....

ps.  some great editing in this preview...

• Johnny Ex likes this

#615 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Watched GET OUT in theaters. Wonderful, subversive cinema experience. Highly recommended!

Get-Out-trailer-700x300.png

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#616 macwemyss

macwemyss

Angry Scotsman

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

Watched GET OUT in theaters. Wonderful, subversive cinema experience. Highly recommended!

Get-Out-trailer-700x300.png

That's one I didn't really have much interest in based on the trailer, but all the positive feedback recently is making me think it could be worth a watch!

Now, I've seen a lot of movies recently, so here goes...

La La Land - Always nice to see modern attempts at musicals but if anything it made me respect the multi-talented actors from classic movies even more as there was just no comparison. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are good actors but singers and dancers they are not. Through a combination of overused autotune and the leads not being trained in that sort of performance, the "musical" segments just didn't come off naturally for me. Story-wise it was alright, nothing special, although the ending was very good. The opening scene was terrible and had me wondering what I'd gotten myself in for but it improved and was overall a decent movie (just definitely not the classic for the ages some would have you believe).

Sing - Surprisingly a pretty good movie! I was dragged along to watch this against my will but I'm glad to say I was wrong with my preconceptions of this one. On paper an animated movie about fictional cartoon animals taking part in an Idol style singing contest sounds like my idea of hell but actually the singing was good, the characters and story were engaging (if not entirely original) and I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought!

The LEGO Batman Movie - I'm caught in two minds about this one. The opening twenty minutes or so were HILARIOUS, and at that point I thought this was going to be an absolute classic, but then unfortunately the pacing slowed from its breakneck speed, the jokes got a bit predictable and there were big sections in the middle of this where I was actually quite bored. Having said that, it's definitely worth seeing, even if it's just for the opening sequences. It's not as good as The LEGO Movie, which is a shame because it easily could have been.

Manchester by the Sea - This is by no means a cheerful film - in fact it's downright depressing for the most part - but there were more laughs than I expected. Casey Affleck gave an incredible performance that was fully deserving of his Oscar win. It was one of those where you can't imagine anyone else in the role because it's almost as if he isn't acting - he is that character. The interactions between his character Lee and his nephew were true to life and seemed very genuine. The story didn't really have a beginning and end - it was more like a glimpse at a moment in time where things are resolved how they would be in real life, as opposed to the traditional Hollywood fairytale ending where everything is wrapped up perfectly by the end of the film. One of the things I really loved about this film is how the town of Manchester (which is beautiful in its dull timelessness) is presented almost as a character in itself, and we can clearly see the impact it has had (and still has) on Lee throughout his life. There's a lot of tragedy in this movie, but it somehow still finds a way to be heartwarming. It doesn't work out how you want it to, but that's what I loved about it - it's true to life in both its ups and downs. If you watch one movie from this list, watch this one.

Moonlight - Now, if Manchester by the Sea was a bit miserable, just wait until you see this one. This is a very powerful story about a young man named Chiron's struggles growing up as a homosexual in a macho, gang-dominated black neighbourhood, told from three different stages of his life. There are very few happy moments in this film but there are plenty of beautiful ones, particularly in the dialogue sequences where the characters are discussing life. The cinematography is moving and the acting spot on. Much like Manchester was like a character in Manchester by the Sea, the 'hood is a character in Moonlight, omnipresent throughout each stage of Chiron's life, unchanging while every character struggles to escape its influence. It's a grim watch, but it's emotionally powerful and makes a strong statement that's necessary for the times we're currently living in.

Hidden Figures - This was a fantastic movie. Covering a very important and despicably racist time in America's history, it manages to remain light-hearted and humourous throughout, whilst also no pulling any punches when it came to delivering its message. This was aided in no small measure by the outstanding cast (several of whom also played characters in Moonlight) and the upbeat, feel-good editing style. For me it was like The Big Short from last year, in that it took me by surprise with its humourous tone and was actually a much better film than I was expecting. Well worth a watch, and unlike most of the other Oscar nominees, you can pretty much guarantee everyone will enjoy this.

Logan - Grim, dark and gruesome. Great action scenes. As with most superhero movies it won't go down as one for the ages but it was a very solid movie, particularly compared to the other films in the Wolverine and X-Men franchises. Going with the r-rated path Deadpool took really helped, as Wolverine always was more suited to that sort of tone (although it was kind of bizarre hearing Patrick Stewart's Professor X swearing like a trooper). Hugh Jackman goes out on a high note and will take some replacing whenever Wolverine does return to the big screen.

And that's it for now! Phew :P

#617 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hopefully watching Logan this weekend.  Everything else I plan to catch on the small screen eventually (though I want to see Get Out soon).  Watched the Stooges documentary last weekend (directed by Jim Jarmusch).  Solid fun.  Still in the end I think the documentary about Danny Fields, manager of MC5, Stooges, Doors, Nico and the Ramones, Danny Says, might better.

PS: Its kind of amazing how the production company A24 has come to rule the world....just saying

Also doing deep dives with Kid Millions on our Friday Night Movies.  Tonight was the Truman Show which he LOVES.  Good flick.  A few weeks back we visited 3'oclock high which is a high point of my adolescent movie viewing and he rated appropriatly high.  3'Oclock high was a win.  Wonderful movie (solid trailer as well)!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruqmemgLc2E

#618 TehPoptartKid

TehPoptartKid

2+2= Fish!

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

I really want to see Lego Batman, Manchester by the Sea, and Logan.

I've watched a few movies recently. NerdLand, Ex Machina, Akira, Ghost in the Shell(The 1995 anime version) Arrival, Oldboy(The 2003 version) and Gangster Squad.

Nerdland is an animated film from the studio Titmouse. The animation style is really interesting, very unique. It's the story of two thirty year olds in Los Angeles trying to get famous. They then think that infamy is the way to go. The two main characters are voiced by Paul Rudd and Patton Oswalt. Also, Hannibal Buress, Mike Judge, and Kate Micucci are in it. Hannibal Buress plays the nerd king, and what an awesome nerd he is.

I enjoyed Ex Machina. But oh man, the ending.

Akira was excellent. it's an anime set in neo Tokyo set in the distant future. World War Three happened because of an highly dangerous experiment called Akira, and now the world is in shambles after the aftermath. Now there's biker gangs, corrupt politicians, power hungry soldiers, cults forming in the streets, it's pretty dark. There's this biker gang who gets into a fight with another biker gang, and one of their friends gets hurt. He gets captured and put into a military hospital. He gets experimented on, and turns into a dangerous experiment just like Akira. All hell breaks loose. Oh, it's so awesome. Reminds me of Dragon Ball Z in a way, The experiments kinda have powers like the Z fighters. Energy blasts, telepathy, power of flight, etc...I totally recommend it.

Ghost in the shell is awesome too. And I'm stoked that a live action version is coming out. It's also set in the distant future and there's this cyborg named Motoko Kusanagi. She's after a hacker called the puppet master. it's tight. The animation is really awesome.

Arrival was a mind bender. I liked it, but wow. I'm a little disappointed in her choice at the end. If you've seen the movie, then you'll know what I mean.

Oldboy was fantastic. It's very good, visually stunning, the music is fantastic. There's also this long take in a hallway with the main character fighting off twenty people at a time with a hammer. A hammer! I also can't believe he was imprisoned for that long. Gee wiz.

Gangster Squad was great. It's the story of a ragtag police force going after the Los Angeles crime lord Mickey Cohen. Lots of cool action, plus Sean Penn played a great gangster. Emma Stone is in it as well, and I loved her in the movie.

#619 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

Had a hard time falling asleep last night so turned on the tv and while flipping through the channels came upon The X From Outer Space.  Can't recall how many times I laughed and it actually made it harder to get to sleep.  The funniest part was seeing all the Americans speaking fluent Japanese as if it was their native language.  The wonders of voice dubbing huh?  :P :P

The 2017 Passion Competition is being finalized.  Results soon.

#620 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:40 AM

I watched  Enemy by Denis Villeneuve last night.  A somewhat difficult but super interesting flick starring Jake Gyllenhall.  Denis has directed Sicario and The Arrival and is the director of the the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.   This movie is super stylish with a superb command of color and place.  Not a lot of color outside of yellow and the setting are all 1970s concrete  and super brutalism.  Gylenahll plays a guy who may or may not be more than one person and whose lady friends may or may not be giant spiders.  If you need to know and understand everything you see in a movie I advice you to skip it.  However I loved this one with great filmmaking skills (I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2049) and I tend to like the open aired weirdness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users