• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grey Dingo

Grey Dingo

an almond shaped emu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

It was with great interest that I noted an open letter of Apology in these forums. I saw it as it was, an open apology for some remarks made on air that may have been interpreted as derogatory to a particular ethnic group.... but...

I thought it was incredibly sincere and brave of the author to post such a thing, but also it troubled me deeply.

Having not heard the show (and I shall endeavour to download it if possible) I wondered what on earth was said - what vile, horrific, vilifying racial slurring took place that needed to be publicly apologised for.

Now, stop me if I'm wrong, but it strikes me that the forums of TMU are possibly one of the more enlightened and bright ones out there, based heavily around a creative drive and desire to enjoy one anothers' visions, imagination and artistic aspirations...inspirations. The question of how one deports themselves on air is always going to be an open ended and frought one - subjective, as much as our interpretations about each others visual works. All art is an argument.

So what bothers me is that the evil spectre of self-censorship raises its head once again - be it in creating a piece of art or in the mild expression of a humorous anecdote, do we really have to watch our P's and Q's every second of every minute of every moment? I live in a predominantly and painfully white nation that takes baby steps in its approach to indigineous affairs and tolerance.... which means that I dare not make a quip about aboriginal people whether on the upswing or at the butt. However, being a wog I have no qualms about making jokes about the Greeks, Lebanese, Italians and ozzies surrounding me in my neighbourhood, and should I find myself on air I'd give a didg a go and would probably fart in the effort and curse the inventor of such an impossible instrument...

A comment about the Greeks next door having a late Greek Easter and fouling up the whole street with the smell of a barbecuing lamb-on-the-spit (droooool) - the bloody Lebos across the road playing weird ear-splitting middle-eastern pop at 3 in the afternoon on Sundays - Crikey!!! The nutty old Italian woman who comes around every couple of days or so with surplus macaroni for me - she smells of onions and winks at me - I would happily and moronically yap on about these people surrounding me all the time. At the same moment, they peer out of their front windows and tut-tut about the fat old skip-of-indeterminate-origin who trundles out of his house and wobbles away on his motorbike every now and then. I know. I can HEAR their thoughts!!!!!

What I'm saying is that I think we are becoming a strange, tip-toeing race that is struggling to equate our lives with our world - more precisely, the world being shaped for us by other people who feel the need to apologise for breathing. I think we recognise when someone is being mean and when someone is just saying something. I think we have evolved enough to the point where we don't need to re-examine everything that's poured out of our lips for fear of offending that microbe over there.

hmmmm - political correctness is gonna kill us, people. Common sense is a good thing, but fast becoming an endangered commodity.

(Spend some time on a European beach - I think you'll find that self-censorship is a bizarre and unknown concept. :alucard:)

#2 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:01 AM

I know. I can HEAR their thoughts!!!!!

LOL!! :D hahaha

Thats quite a Talent.

Totally agree with your Comments.

#3 rgr

rgr

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

You Aussies are all alike. ;)

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. in "Mother Night"

#4 riott007

riott007

Goats Fuck Holla

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

I can't even debate this because I offend everybody...and almost daily.

#5 Grey Dingo

Grey Dingo

an almond shaped emu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

you haven't offended me yet, Riott. What have I done for you to treat me so shabbily?:huh:

#6 themonk

themonk

The One The Only themonk

• Administrators
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:27 AM

Hey, I have offended everyone who isn't Southern.... and every time I open my mouth.. .Most Southerners!

#7 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Probably easier not to publicly sprout racist generalizations. Hmmmk?
Posted Image

#8 goofparade

goofparade

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

Kittens!!!!!

Edited by goofparade, 16 October 2011 - 05:04 AM.
there... I said it.

#9 kwistufa

kwistufa

Chaff

• Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

I've never been offended watching you mass debate.. :55:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users