• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

Yeah; as I mentioned yesterday, I only ever export in .MOV when porting out a section of footage to put into VisionLab then, once it's complete, stick it into it's own Magix working file and only put it back in to the "final" working file when I'm ready to do the final render pass.

It's weird; maybe Vegas has better wmv codecs than Magix does, and vice versa for the avi codecs? Not sure, but that sounds very odd :) (just thought; does your Vegas come with the version 10/11 wmv codecs? That might be why they look better).

Another quick tip (can't remember if I mentioned this last night); when using footage "blocks", make an easily accessed folder on your HD (or, if you have multiple HDs, make one on the HD you have with the biggest amount of space) and store all the "blocks" in that; it will make it a lot easier to find film strips when you need them.

#42 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

I already do that (having a special file for the blocks) - plus all the final renders of the blocks get the word "final" stuck on the end of the filename. :)

And no, Vegas works with version 9 wmv codecs.
I don't know why the avi files look less good than in Magix - I copied the settings for export from there, so they should be the same, but they aren't. Lot's of little quadrangles - it looks positively pixelated, while the Magix renders don't.

Very strange. I'm going to experiment some more. :)

Oh and btw - I export files for use in fxhome in avi, and export from fxhome in uncompressed avi format, too - maybe that's why the render of 15sec took the whole night... :biggrin:

#43 Torqual

Torqual

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi, I have been reading this thread with great interest and I have some quite specific questions (I am afraid). I sense that Killian and/or Sisch may know the answers, but please, anyone feel free to shed some light on this....

I have started using Windows Movie Maker to edit footage from The Movies, and have worked out that 'Highest' does indeed equate to 768 x 432 resolution, 8192kbps and 29.97 fps. The problem that I have is WMM Movie Maker 6 (in Vista) does not allow me to publish in this resolution. This means that (from the available options) I am typically having to choose 512 x 288 or 640 x 360 (quality lost), or upscale to 856 x 480 or 1280 x 720 (image sharpness lost and pointless extra file size).

From reading up it seems possible to get a utility from www.papajohn.org that allows you to set up a custom profile in WMM to export in user-defined resolutions/bit rates.

Question 1.
Just wondering whether anyone has done that, and how it worked out for them? What settings did you use to avoid losing quality from 'Highest' as exported from The Movies?

Question 2.
Does the other outside editors you are using allow you to just select 768 x 432? Wouldn't that be marvellous... If so, what are you using, please?

Question 3.
It's pretty obvious to me that the in-game resolution of The Movies is much better than 'Highest' export setting, and I wonder why it's impossible to export in this setting? I am talking about the resolution achieved in Post Production when you click the 'viewing technology' button. I think this is 1280xSomething. From a rough estimation of screen size I think it may even be 1280x720 which - if it were usable - would be PERFECT as that is HD resolution and is supported natively by Windows Movie Maker 6.0 and upload sites including Vimeo! Which leads me to the questions:

Does anybody know what 'viewing technology' resolution is, and whether it is possible to hack/mod TM and export as a .wmv in that resolution? Or at least something better than 768x432? Perhaps 1024x576?

I would be really grateful for any answers to any of this...

In the meantime I am off to scour modders' websites and the Lionhead forum for any scraps of info. If I get anywhere I will answer my own questions here.

#44 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

Well, I can answer somewhat, at least...LOL

If you go here:

http://blogs.msdn.co...m-profiles.aspx

you can read about how to create custom profiles for windows media player for the export. Just download the windows media profile editor, and you can select the size, quality, etc. - it generates a .prx file and that link explains where to put it.

Now, you can also generate a prx file for The Movies as well, to determine the output of the software - your best bet (since we don't need to use online quality anymore) is to make a directory called Video in your Data directory in the program folder (not sure what it is in Vista, but whereever the stuff for mods would go, that's the place) - call the prx file wmvprofile_upload.prx - then when you export from the movies and use online resolution, it will export in whatever size and quality you've put in the prx.

(yes, sounds kind of confusing, but get the media profile editor and play with it, and all will be fall into place)

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#45 DL Watson

DL Watson

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

Firstly, I understand your pain, that why I would firstly recommend you use a different editor then the very generic version that Windows offers. I use Sony Vegas Pro, but there is a very powerful and much cheaper version called Sony Vegas Studio, I definitely recommend it.

A program like that would give you the option to put your own custom resolution.

There is a way you can edit the prx files in The Movies to change the resolution in which it captures the footage at, however, even when it doesn't crash the program, it just looks like a the same resolution blown up. If you want to find out more on how to do that, you need to speak to Tarison, for he has more details on how to adjust the prx files. It just didn't work for me.

Which is why I turned to the far superior solution in my opinion. You mentioned you would like to get the graphical detail and depth that the game performs in, and the only way to really accomplish that is to buy a program called Fraps.

When you are finished making your movie, bring it into the Post Production office and click f10, press play, and while it plays in real time Fraps will record up to the resolution you have your monitor set to. So if you want a HD picture, set your monitors settings to the highest. When its done playing, press f10 again and your done. Exit the movies and it will be located in your Fraps folder in a avi file (which is uncompressed btw, great color and picture depth).

But there is a catch to this golden method. If your computer doesn't have at least 2 gigs of ram and with at least 500 gigs of space, then it wont be worth it. You'll get dropped frames and it will only make you more frustrated.

So I hope this helps you a tad and I wish you Good Luck!

#46 samyhouse

samyhouse

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Well, I can answer somewhat, at least...LOL

If you go here:

http://blogs.msdn.co...m-profiles.aspx

you can read about how to create custom profiles for windows media player for the export. Just download the windows media profile editor, and you can select the size, quality, etc. - it generates a .prx file and that link explains where to put it.

Now, you can also generate a prx file for The Movies as well, to determine the output of the software - your best bet (since we don't need to use online quality anymore) is to make a directory called Video in your Data directory in the program folder (not sure what it is in Vista, but whereever the stuff for mods would go, that's the place) - call the prx file wmvprofile_upload.prx - then when you export from the movies and use online resolution, it will export in whatever size and quality you've put in the prx.

(yes, sounds kind of confusing, but get the media profile editor and play with it, and all will be fall into place)

Ken

Helo :)

Itryed this and it seems not working, maybe I did something wrong.
Can you make a short tutorial about this?

#47 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

Samy, there's an easy way to change the TM output resolution: go here (I know it's in german :)) and download the file from the link given at the end of the first post. Please be sure to credit Hirsches if you use the "TM Resolution Changer exe", and be aware that you will only be able to up the resolution to the size your computer and screen are able to support!

Just run the exe on your desktop, and before starting TM, choose in which size you want to export. It works (and looks!) great! I'm doing all my exports at 1280x720 now. :)

#48 jerryshoot

jerryshoot

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Sisch,
Thank you for that link!

...jerry

#49 samyhouse

samyhouse

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yay! exactly what I need! Thanks a lot :)

#50 frosty_frost09

frosty_frost09

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

be aware that you will only be able to up the resolution to the size your computer and screen are able to support! I'm doing all my exports at 1280x720 now. :)

Will it support 1280x800? (that's the size of my laptop screen.)

EDIT: if it won't, would chaning my resolution to 1280x720 work?
Back on TMU. Will do VO's :)
My Blog is Back

#51 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

I don't think you can add your own resolution - but I think 1280x720 should work fine for you, Frosty... haven't tried it, though, but as 1280x800 is larger, it should work?

#52 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

is there another lonk to the resolution changer? The current one is dead for me.
Posted Image

#53 SSProductions

SSProductions

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thank you very much for these tips. Once I get used to using After Effects I might start using that if any of the bugs in The Movies start popping up.

#54 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

is there another lonk to the resolution changer? The current one is dead for me.

It works fine for me - if you still experience problems, pm me!

#55 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Sony Vegas users - this might be interesting to you:

http://filmmakeriq.c...hd-formats.html

#56 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

It works fine for me - if you still experience problems, pm me!

the nasty gringo, el killian help me out.
Posted Image

#57 JazzX

JazzX

Banned

• Banned
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

the nasty gringo, el killian help me out.

?

Here: http://rapidshare.co...RC_1_0.zip.html

#58 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

?

Here: http://rapidshare.co...RC_1_0.zip.html

I already said Killian helped me out, unless this is for everyone else.
Posted Image

#59 FallenThomas

FallenThomas

Señor Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, US

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hey Killian or Sisch, I am a Magix user and was wondering how I could add some of those typical effects from some of Michael Barnes or Pooka's machinima to my film. For example, the camera shaking (not the Augie filter) and zooming as well as the focus blur. Any help would be much appreciated! :001_smile:

gMO3CNQ.pngdgdqJf2.png

#60 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:59 AM

As far as I recall, Pooka used After Effects for the effects in November, rather than those built into Magix (not sure what Michael used without checking, but have a sneaking suspicion it was also AE). There IS a "shake" effect, but it's not that brilliant... when I get a sec, I'll have a look at it again (unless someone else beats me to it ;))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users