5 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

The Gettysburg Project aims to introduce visitors to popular songs from — or inspired by — the American Civil War. The site features one song, Gettysburg, that tells the fictional story of a young girl who lived in Gettysburg when the soldiers arrived.

For more info, go here. $500 prize.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#2 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

It's a cool contest for somebody who wants to make a five minute music video for the song...but it really is a wretched song. The singer is solid, but the song is awful. I couldn't take more than a minute or so of it...gave up after she took a flower or something from "a boy in gray"....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#3 themonk

themonk

The One The Only themonk

• Administrators
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

For those who maybe interested in the songs of the Civil War, I suggest you check out Bobby Horton, who has made many CD's of the music from that time. He has done much study of the Songs of the Civil War, and to hear him do one of his shows live is a joy. His discussion of the music between the performance of each song as he is dressed as a musician of that time, really helps to understand the feeling of those who lived through those times. Check it out.
http://bobbyhorton.com/

#4 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

For those who maybe interested in the songs of the Civil War, I suggest you check out Bobby Horton, who has made many CD's of the music from that time. He has done much study of the Songs of the Civil War, and to hear him do one of his shows live is a joy. His discussion of the music between the performance of each song as he is dressed as a musician of that time, really helps to understand the feeling of those who lived through those times. Check it out.
http://bobbyhorton.com/

At first I thought you meant Johnny Horton who had some hits that played on the Civil War. Bobby Horton is good though.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#5 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

CBS had a radio program called YOU ARE THERE! that has an episode from Gettysburg recorded in 1947. All things are as they were then except for one thing....YOU ARE THERE..THERE...THERE.....Pretty enjoyable if you are looking for inspiration (its number 20 on the list). The whole series is actually kinda amusing if you like this kind of thing. Colonel Johnson eats the Love Apple is worth a listen (the first time a tomato was eaten in the US?) just for the weirdness.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

CBS had a radio program called YOU ARE THERE! that has an episode from Gettysburg recorded in 1947. All things are as they were then except for one thing....YOU ARE THERE..THERE...THERE.....Pretty enjoyable if you are looking for inspiration (its number 20 on the list). The whole series is actually kinda amusing if you like this kind of thing. Colonel Johnson eats the Love Apple is worth a listen (the first time a tomato was eaten in the US?) just for the weirdness.

Yeah, I had grabbed all the You Are There radio shows at one time when I was thinking of occasionally running them before live shows. What I'd really like to see is the You Are There TV shows run in the early to mid 50s - I was too young to see them on first run (LOL) but they re-ran them occasionally in the 60s and also were used in class at school to illustrate some historical subject being taught. Fun stuff.

Good call on the Bobby Horton stuff, Monk - I noticed all of his albums were on Rhapsody, so I'll have to grab them for later listening - I'd convert some and play them in my pre-show music streams, but I have the feeling it would alienate listeners even more than what I already play....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users