#1 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

The Movies Review Archive

Original post follows:

As you might have read in the TMO Rescue Project thread, there is a separate effort to rescue all the reviews on TMO. The results of this effort will be a website, hosted on Norrie's tmo-hi-res.com web site.

The website will consist of:
  • An introduction page.
  • A basic search box for movie titles, and for studio names.
  • An alphabetical index of movie titles and studio names.
  • All studios will have a studio page, listing their movies, as well as all movies they reviewed.
  • All films will have a movie page. This includes offline and even glitched movies.

The site will have a similar look-and-feel to the existing TMO site, but with a navigation structure limited to the above.

Note that the movies themselves will not be a part of this archive. Retrieving the movies would have been far too large a task (downloading them alone would have taken more hours than we have between now and Dec. 5).

All film info and reviews were downloaded last week. Thumbnails are being downloaded this week. However, because people continue to upload and review films, I'll be running the crawler again early next week. There will be some sort of cut-off point, where new films and reviews won't be captured in the archive, in the final few days of TMO.

Building the site will take some time, as there is a heckuva lot of data to go through (and upload, once it's ready). So I would expect the site to go live the weekend of December 13th.

Edited by rileyman, 26 February 2009 - 06:23 PM.
Updated URL to site

#2 Norrie

Norrie

Banned

• Banned
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Note that the movies themselves will not be a part of this archive

Everyone got that? Sheesh, could I be more subtle?

#3 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

...say that again? I didn't quite catch it...

#4 Norrie

Norrie

Banned

• Banned
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

Note that the movies themselves will not be a part of this archive

#5 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

Wow, a list of all the reviews from a given studio should be really interesting (at least to me anyway). Sounds nifty.

#6 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

Wow, a list of all the reviews from a given studio should be really interesting (at least to me anyway). Sounds nifty.

SH!T, I better go and start reviewing!!!

:blink:

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#7 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

Oh no, then I'll see in black & white just how limited my adjective vocabulary is.

#8 Norrie

Norrie

Banned

• Banned
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

Oh no, then I'll see in black & white just how limited my adjective vocabulary is.

I'm sure we could change the font Dulci. Grey & blue?
Red & White?
Dull grey & bright grey?

You name it (preferably in Hex) and the geek squad will be on it :)

#9 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

The last movie to be archived will be ID 154035, titled "NYC" by gmoney225. Movie reviews from movie ID 125000 forward were captured again tonite, and movies before that were captured earlier this week. So if anyone wants to go review-crazy... or perhaps run around 1-star-ninja'ing loads of films just for the hell of it... new reviews won't be captured. ;)

And so ends phase 1, and begins phase 2. ;) This weekend I'll begin the process of generating the actual archive's website!

#10 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

All individual movie and studio pages have been generated. I'm still working on the main index and search pages. But the long, dreary, but thankfully automated task of uploading some 300,000 files to Norrie's server space has begun. You can get a quick preview of what the individual movie pages look like here. Hyperlinks to the studio pages won't work yet, as none of those have been uploaded yet.

#11 thebiz

thebiz

Huge Member

• Advisers
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

All individual movie and studio pages have been generated. I'm still working on the main index and search pages. But the long, dreary, but thankfully automated task of uploading some 300,000 files to Norrie's server space has begun. You can get a quick preview of what the individual movie pages look like here. Hyperlinks to the studio pages won't work yet, as none of those have been uploaded yet.

That looks splendid. And my what an old movie. Cant wait to meander along through here.

#12 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Wow! I'm so glad you have found a way to save this information and that Norrie has offered the space to make it happen!

#13 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

They dug too deep

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

- GaryCarr

Additional comments
not enough lezzing off!

Very glad the lesbian reviews came through OK (I see a trend here with rileyman... ;) )

GodivaBanner02.jpg

#14 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Very glad the lesbian reviews came through OK (I see a trend here with rileyman... ;) )

Hey, at least it wasn't a Brokeback Mountain remake. :lol:

#15 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

Looking really good, Riley - I can't wait to see this up and running!

Ken

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#16 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

It's going to be a few days yet, unfortunately... A week ago I was hoping it'd be up sometime this weekend. But the sheer number of files is making it take longer than I'd hoped. My upload speed is fine... But consider that the FTP handshake per file usually takes about a second, and that there are about 300,000 files, and I see now why I was too optimistic it'd all be uploaded by tomorrow. Not to mention my connection craps out on occasion. :001_tt2:

At movie ID 87000 and counting... (and then there will be about 45,000 studio pages to upload after that)

#17 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

And I present to the public...

The welcome page and top navigation explains just about everything. :) The index pages for movie titles can take a minute or so to load (especially movies beginning with "T"), so it's probably best to start your journey down memory lane by the studio name.

I was originally going to include a simple search engine, but quickly found it was overwhelming the browser. I may yet add a search engine -- but if I do, it'll have to be done using a different approach (server side database & PHP).

#18 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:21 AM

And I present to the public...

The welcome page and top navigation explains just about everything. :) The index pages for movie titles can take a minute or so to load (especially movies beginning with "T"), so it's probably best to start your journey down memory lane by the studio name.

I was originally going to include a simple search engine, but quickly found it was overwhelming the browser. I may yet add a search engine -- but if I do, it'll have to be done using a different approach (server side database & PHP).

Oh wow! This is so wonderful!!! Being able to see only the reviews we've received but also the reviews we've given out - and we can even tell if they were featured at the time or not! Great stuff here Riley! Can't thank you enough :35:

#19 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

As this was stickied, I added a link in the first post in the thread so that everyone can find it easily. :)

#20 tsunamidog

tsunamidog

its a bear.

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:26 AM

Dude. now that is cool.

thanks riley!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users