32 replies to this topic

#1 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

Here's some neat features of TMU that you might not be aware of.

Like a movie you just watched? Think it should be included on the front page featured movies?

While on the movie page, click "Flag/Interact"
Then select "Feature this!"
It will then be considered by the admin when movies are chosen for the front page.

AND/OR

While on the movie page, click "Flag/Interact"
Then select "Add to Favorites"
Some of the internal sorting features of TMU are based on the number of time a movie has been selected by a user as a favorite.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY

LEAVE A COMMENT

Boy, I wish more people from TMU would come to the forums.

Be friendly - If you notice a new person uploading movies, send them a private message and invite them to the forums:
Click on their name
Select Connect
Select Send a Personal Message

Feel like watching a movie?

Click Watch
Select one of the new releases
You can also sort the movies by using the drop-down menu that by default says "Most Recent". Options include: Most Viewed, Most Commented, Top Favorites, Top Rated, Recently Featured.
You can also choose "Random" from this drop-down menu to find a more diverse selection of movies.

OR

Click Categories
Choose a genre
Select one of the new releases
Or sort using the drop-down menu described above

OR

Go to Channels
Find a channel that looks interesting to you and peruse the videos

OR TO WATCH TOP RATED, ETC. FOR THE WEEK

Once you select what you want to sort by in the Watch screen (most commented, highest rated, most viewed, etc.)
You can then go to the drop-down menu that defaults to "-All-" and select by: 1 Week Old, 1 Day Old, 1 Month Old
You can also choose a specific category if you like.

My connection is slow and I wish I could download the movies instead and leave my comments later.

The DownloadHelper add-on (http://www.downloadhelper.net/) can be used to download movies on TMU.

I don't want to miss movies by my favorite filmmaker, but I don't have time to look at the forums or upload site every day! Whatever can I do?

Go to the profile page of the filmmaker whose work you are interested in. Once there, you will see a button directly under their profile picture that reads "Subscribe to User's videos". Simply click this button.

Going forward you will receive an email notification every time the filmmaker uploads a new movie.

How can I create a channel?

Click on the Channel Tab
Directly above the row that says "My Account, etc." is an option to click on "CREATE A CHANNEL!" Click it.
Follow the instructions on that page to name your channel, select categories, etc.
Please note that on this page you can decide if 1) only you can add movies to your channel; 2) other people can add movies to your channel with your approval; 3) anyone can add movies to your channel at any time.

To add movies to your channel, go to your channel page and click on "Add Videos"
In the same row you were able to "CREATE A CHANNEL!" you will see two options - one to add your own movies and one to add movies from your favorites.
NOTE: To add movies that aren't your own, you must have them selected as a favorite.

How Do I Get One of Those Nifty TMU Studio Badges Under My Avatar On The Forums?

Go to User CP -> Edit your Details -> scroll down to TMU Studio

Did you know that you can easily post the thumbnail of your movie on the forums?

On the movie site, simply use your mouse to select the name of your movie and the thumbnail picture, and then right click and select Copy.

On the forums, simply paste into a post and ta da! You'll see your thumbnail and a clickable link directly to your movie.

When I try to embed my video from another site, it fills up too much of the screen. What should I do?

In your embed code, you'll need to change it to width="455" height="369" to get the best results. Make sure you change it in both the object and embed tags. (thanks Riley!)

Edited by Dulci, 13 January 2009 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Johnny Ex

Johnny Ex

Cliffhanger

• Members
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationSecret lair

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

Thanks Dulci, that was informative.
Posted Image

#3 sisch

sisch

on my second life

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Nice one, Dulci! :)

I'm sure a lot of people were not aware of all those nice features!

#4 Mefune Akira

Mefune Akira

Laugh Damn It!

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

Very nice Dulci.

An excellent post!

Posted Image

#5 goofparade

goofparade

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:02 AM

Good thinking Dulci.
Quick question, is there a big visible link, right on the main TMU page saying "TMU Forums".
I haven't seen one but then again I'm half blind from the syphlis....

#6 Ken White

Ken White

Foul Owl on the Prowl

• Administrators
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

Good thinking Dulci.
Quick question, is there a big visible link, right on the main TMU page saying "TMU Forums".
I haven't seen one but then again I'm half blind from the syphlis....

No, but it is coming....

TMOAsig.png
TMU_forum01.png

#7 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

The forum link is now there!

#8 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:10 AM

Woot! Nice (and fast!) work, my man!

#9 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

The forum link is now there!

Awesome! :thumbup:

#10 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

First post edited to include:

I don't want to miss movies by my favorite filmmaker, but I don't have time to look at the forums or upload site every day! Whatever can I do?

Go to the profile page of the filmmaker whose work you are interested in. Once there, you will see a button directly under their profile picture that reads "Subscribe to User's videos". Simply click this button.

Going forward you will receive an email notification every time the filmmaker uploads a new movie.

#11 fospherous

fospherous

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Very Informative and Interesting...

Great Little post Dulci! :)

#12 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

Updated opening post to include:

How can I create a channel?

Click on the Channel Tab
Directly above the row that says "My Account, etc." is an option to click on "CREATE A CHANNEL!" Click it.
Follow the instructions on that page to name your channel, select categories, etc.
Please note that on this page you can decide if 1) only you can add movies to your channel; 2) other people can add movies to your channel with your approval; 3) anyone can add movies to your channel at any time.

To add movies to your channel, go to your channel page and click on "Add Videos"
In the same row you were able to "CREATE A CHANNEL!" you will see two options - one to add your own movies and one to add movies from your favorites.
NOTE: To add movies that aren't your own, you must have them selected as a favorite.

#13 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Updated first post to include...

How Do I Get One of Those Nifty TMU Studio Badges Under My Avatar On The Forums?

Go to User CP -> Edit your Details -> scroll down to TMU Studio

Thank you Riley!

#14 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

Updated first post to include...

Did you know that you can easily post the thumbnail of your movie on the forums?

On the movie site, simply use your mouse to select the name of your movie and the thumbnail picture, and then right click and select Copy.

On the forums, simply paste into a post and ta da! You'll see your thumbnail and a clickable link directly to your movie.

#15 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Updated first post to include:

My connection is slow and I wish I could download the movies instead and leave my comments later.

The DownloadHelper add-on (http://www.downloadhelper.net/) can be used to download movies on TMU.

#16 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

Updated first post to include:

When I try to embed my video from another site, it fills up too much of the screen. What should I do?

In your embed code, you'll need to change it to width="455" height="369" to get the best results. Make sure you change it in both the object and embed tags. (thanks Riley!)

#17 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:37 AM

On the Filmmakers page, the search box has been updated. Once you've typed a few characters in, it now drops down with a list of matching studio names. Clicking on a studio will take you to their studio page.

(Note that on occasion -- in particular, when someone is uploading a film -- the site can take a few moments to respond. This may affect the speed of the studio name drop-down appearing.)

#18 Harb40

Harb40

When will it get better?

• Members
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

Very nice Riley. That will be very handy and make searches go faster and easier. Thanks.

The Passion Competition is now on Facebook.  Like our page.

#19 rileyman

rileyman

It's NOT a tumour!

• Advisers
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

And as I noticed that the load time of the Filmmakers page was dreadfully slow, I looked into it... The Sharemixer guys forgot to put a search index on the userid field in the video table, which was making the query take a good 20 seconds or so (it had to manually count the number of videos each user uploaded).

In short, the Filmmakers page now loads much more quickly; and that should help the speed of the site as a whole.

#20 Dulci

Dulci

Staring Contest Champion

• Administrators
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

And as I noticed that the load time of the Filmmakers page was dreadfully slow, I looked into it... The Sharemixer guys forgot to put a search index on the userid field in the video table, which was making the query take a good 20 seconds or so (it had to manually count the number of videos each user uploaded).

In short, the Filmmakers page now loads much more quickly; and that should help the speed of the site as a whole.

Wow, what a difference! Thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users