• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

In the Shadows

• Administrators
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

Got a problem with a particular program?

Maybe you need help with free cam in The Movies Stunts & Effects or recording voiceovers using Audacity? Maybe you need to know how to convert to a .DDS file or resize an image using Gimp for a poster?

Chances are, whatever issue you are facing with any given piece of software, someone round here will be able to help - so just ask. Post your question in this thread and hopefully one of our fine TMU community Members will be along with the answer (or at least an educated guess)

:cool

Posted Image

#2 Donekardio

Donekardio

Always Talking! Grrr

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

i would like to know how to make some good movie posters with gimp or if there is a better program for that....
Thankyou

---John Greer---

Meh these damn computers:cursing:

#3 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

photoshop is the industry standard, but isn't free. With these products, you get what you pay for.
Posted Image

#4 Sparky

Sparky

In the Shadows

• Administrators
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

i would like to know how to make some good movie posters with gimp or if there is a better program for that....
Thankyou

---John Greer---

There is a very good tutorial on how to use gimp for posters ect HERE

cheers

Posted Image

#5 Donekardio

Donekardio

Always Talking! Grrr

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

Ok!
Thankyou

---John Green---

Meh these damn computers:cursing:

#6 Howitzer

Howitzer

The Dancing Lion of TMU!

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

I was wondering if anyone else here uses PaintShop Pro (as opposed to Photoshop, which is too expensive for me lol).

If so, do you know how to create transparent overlays using the software? I've tried following as best I can for the ones based on Photoshop but get confused and it never seems to work...

Cheers :D
Howie.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

In the Shadows

• Administrators
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

Not sure if this'll help Howi - quick explanation i found by just Googling your problem

"If you are doing an image from scratch, keep your background transparent. If there is more than one layer, merge them as All Visible and not Flatten, this will keep the background transparent.

When you have the image you want, you can click on File > Export > PNG Optimizer. Or you can have PNG Optimizer on your toolbar.

When the optimizer opens, click on transparency tab, and choose either Single color transparency-which will leave the edges a little rough, or Alpha channel transparency, which will leave a nicer image.
These both have transparent backgrounds, though they may show as white.

This works for Paint Shop Pro 7 through 9, I don't know about earlier ones.
Note: PNG alpha transparency is not supported in Internet Explorer 6 and earlier."

But if you ever need any transparent items making, gimmi a shout and i'll sort it for you nickity-split (so rare i have opportunity to use that phrase)

cheers

Posted Image

#8 Howitzer

Howitzer

The Dancing Lion of TMU!

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

lol, thanks Sparky :) (I never was good at using the interwebs :P)
I'll give it a try and, if it still works like stereo instructions I'll give you a shout :P

Cheers!
Howie.

#9 Killian

Killian

...From the darkness, I return...

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Here's a quicky for the more technically minded of you...

What's the best way to increase the resolution of the in-game export (if there is, indeed, even a way to do so)?

I ask as although I'm exporting at highest quality, it seems to be dropping some rezz; then when going into Magix, which naturally means chopping the film around, and exporting, it's losing a lot more definition and coming out a lot flatter and more pixelated than I'd like.

Any advice to increase the cinematic quality would be gratefully received; merci beaucoup in advance :)

#10 Sparky

Sparky

In the Shadows

• Administrators
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Its probably more to do with the quality and type of file you render out at the end as opposed to the exported file you put into Magix. What do you render the final movie as? i.e file type, frame rate, picture size etc. I'm not familiar with Magix itself so i'm not sure what options you have (I know that Sisch uses it though)

cheers

Posted Image

#11 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

Wondering what the optimum would be for quality vs file size; am doing some experimentation at the moment with this to see what the best settings are.

You're right, thinking about it; the final render is the kicker, so am going to have a mess and see what balance I can get (don't want to be spending 3 hours rendering a 10 min short if I can do it faster and still get a good quality video).

#12 Uber

Uber

GTA 5 FTW!

• Members
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Tarison found a way to export movies at true High Def, but i never got around to it, try moonlight studios, he's doing it.
Posted Image

#13 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

:thumbup1:

#14 Stoke Studios

Stoke Studios

aka Stoke Bob

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

As Sparky says, it could be the export res in Magix that's the problem. I use Magix, and after some trial and error (because all of the available sizes don't work for me), I found that 1280x720 exports fine.

Have a play with the various size options to see what works for you. To save time, just export a very short clip. Hope this helps.

#15 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

Thanks, SS; have had a bit of a mess with it this afto and 1280x720 seems to work nicely with some audio bitrate tweaking (wouldn't render correctly with the audio rate set to default, for some reason; it's probably my pile-of-plop PC that's the problem).

Cheers for the help, all; think it's cracked now :)

#16 Jase180

Jase180

Villain

• Administrators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

Oh, greenscreen/greenbox is kicking my ass. WTF

I definitly need some help with this.:censored:

#17 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

You using Magix or Vegas?

#18 Jase180

Jase180

Villain

• Administrators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:41 AM

opps, sorry Magix

#19 Killian

Killian

• Administrators
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

Ok.... and what part of the greenscreening process is causing you gyp?

I could do a long-winded post going into the whole procedure, but if it's only part of it, I won't :001_tt2:

UPDATE: Working on a quick and dirty vid tutorial on the basics of greenscreening; will bang a link up when it's done.

UPDATE 2: Check your PMs, Jase.

Edited by Killian, 05 October 2008 - 01:37 AM.

#20 sgporsche48

sgporsche48

Rock! Flag! Eagle!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Okay I've hit a snag in exporting using Magix Movie Edit Pro 12. What happened was that during export (mixdown) it said something along the lines of "Error in video codec. If continues revert to normal settings." I saw that about 9 minutes of the film had exported and it was way out of sync. Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users